• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What are we missing?

Richarlison’s passing was awful today. At least couple of times we would have been better placed had he been more accurate with his passes.
He isn’t a good player technically
He is a battering ram type with some skill
And a hell of a work rate. He is very different to the other 3. Add another player into the mix instead of moura and we have real options
He also plays left or centre…. We’re sticking him right and he doesn’t have the finesse to play there with Royal

We need a footballer in midfield. If we don't get Maddison, or equivalent, in the January window we will go on being outplayed in midfield by at least half our opponents and will be lucky to finish 6th. Our current strategy of breaking out and trying to hit 4-6 perfect first time passes to score is too much of a long shot to work often enough.

Football is such an interesting game. Watch the highlights of Liverpool v Brighton and marvel at the latter's ability to attack with flair and imagination. Our lot look like they are playing in treacle after a heavy night out by comparison.

So we haven't really played well all season except a few patches here and there.

I keep waiting for 'something' to click but it just isn't happening. So what is that 'something'?
  • Buying certain players for Conte's formation?
  • Players getting used to his formation?
  • Confidence?
  • Players to get back into clearly missing form?
  • Combination of all of the above?
Yeah we are in third place, but I seriously think we have flattered to deceive.
We're missing one thing, getting our passing right in transition. We've too many players who's passing is not up to it, with only Bentancur, Kulu and Kane being really good passers.
Every game this season we've been mostly comfortable defensively (opposition having majority of the ball is not the same as being under pressure) and been let down numerous times by the final ball on the counter. Get our passing sorted and we'll suddenly start winning games comfortably.

We need a footballer in midfield. If we don't get Maddison, or equivalent, in the January window we will go on being outplayed in midfield by at least half our opponents and will be lucky to finish 6th. Our current strategy of breaking out and trying to hit 4-6 perfect first time passes to score is too much of a long shot to work often enough.

Football is such an interesting game. Watch the highlights of Liverpool v Brighton and marvel at the latter's ability to attack with flair and imagination. Our lot look like they are playing in treacle after a heavy night out by comparison.
Conte has won multiple league titles with this system or a variety of it
I know it’s not the Tottenham way and I’d love Maddison, especially as he can play wide forward too but the system isn’t the issue IMO. It’s the players execution or lack of.
Hugo doesn’t drop that co-signer yesterday and it’s a different game
Royal doesn’t do that challenge and it could be a different game
Players need to execute their roles better but that isn’t always going to happen
I think what hurt us was lack of game changing options on the bench (think of the Chelsea game when out subs made the difference) and we need to shift Moura for a player who can pass (again I’d take Maddison for sure or Zaniolo who is as driving wide player and central too)
We need to bin off royal who had his brain fart today but has never been technically good enough for us with the ball (that’s where it hurts us most)
And the team will be much better

Last edited:
We're missing one thing, getting our passing right in transition. We've too many players who's passing is not up to it, with only Bentancur, Kulu and Kane being really good passers.
Every game this season we've been mostly comfortable defensively (opposition having majority of the ball is not the same as being under pressure) and been let down numerous times by the final ball on the counter. Get our passing sorted and we'll suddenly start winning games comfortably.

As much of a sacrilege as it sounds replace son with another kulu like player and we would be flying.
Not having a pop at son, but this system does not suit him and its killing us.

As much of a sacrilege as it sounds replace son with another kulu like player and we would be flying.
Not having a pop at son, but this system does not suit him and its killing us.

Are we playing a different system to last season when he won the golden boot?

Or is he just playing poorly in the same system he has previously excelled in?

Are we playing a different system to last season when he won the golden boot?

Or is he just playing poorly in the same system he has previously excelled in?

I think he is being asked to defend more, especially when perisic is playing lwb, so he is deeper when we break, opposition teams are more compact and he has less options to pass to.
We can't expect him to score goals like hi did against Burnley every week, that's not his natural game, but when we transition his starting position is closer to that than where would normally be.
I would consider swapping him and kane, kane helping out on the left and son central and higher.
Son and his pace running onto kanes passing on one side or keeping up with kulu as he breaks in the other.
These aren't bad players, their form isn't what it could be, and it's conte job to get the best out of them, playing the roles they are playing i don't think he is.
I'm sure they know it's not working and i can't help but think that at least some of that is down to not being comfortable in the role.

Conte has won multiple league titles with this system or a variety of it
I know it’s not the Tottenham way and I’d love Maddison, especially as he can play wide forward too but the system isn’t the issue IMO. It’s the players execution or lack of.
Hugo doesn’t drop that co-signer yesterday and it’s a different game
Royal doesn’t do that challenge and it could be a different game
Players need to execute their roles better but that isn’t always going to happen
I think what hurt us was lack of game changing options on the bench (think of the Chelsea game when out subs made the difference) and we need to shift Moura for a player who can pass (again I’d take Maddison for sure or Zaniolo who is as driving wide player and central too)
We need to bin off royal who had his brain fart today but has never been technically good enough for us with the ball (that’s where it hurts us most)
And the team will be much better
Agree with that, however, we now have a pretty decent squad, and it's about time Conte start actually using it. He's been saying it for weeks, but it's virtually the same 11 playing every week, especially CM. And it's not like the performances have been so good that you can't drop those players either. It's time we get to see Skipp, Bissouma, Spence and Doherty.

Agree with that, however, we now have a pretty decent squad, and it's about time Conte start actually using it. He's been saying it for weeks, but it's virtually the same 11 playing every week, especially CM. And it's not like the performances have been so good that you can't drop those players either. It's time we get to see Skipp, Bissouma, Spence and Doherty.
Can’t argue with any of that although I don’t think we were poor in CM yesterday but refresh is key
That’s all on conte and IMO he can’t be defended for NOT making changes and then complaining which he does do

I think he is being asked to defend more, especially when perisic is playing lwb, so he is deeper when we break, opposition teams are more compact and he has less options to pass to.
We can't expect him to score goals like hi did against Burnley every week, that's not his natural game, but when we transition his starting position is closer to that than where would normally be.
I would consider swapping him and kane, kane helping out on the left and son central and higher.
Son and his pace running onto kanes passing on one side or keeping up with kulu as he breaks in the other.
These aren't bad players, their form isn't what it could be, and it's conte job to get the best out of them, playing the roles they are playing i don't think he is.
I'm sure they know it's not working and i can't help but think that at least some of that is down to not being comfortable in the role.
Son was expected to defend as well last year, it's no different. Conte expects everyone to put in a shift when we don't have the ball.

The OP asked "what are we missing".

For me, it is obvious that some of our players have huge flaws e.g.
Sanchez, Royal, Moura and Son are not able to pass the ball properly. Son gets away with this because he is a finisher, but he should never be expected to pass. The other 3 should be chopped up for firewood.

We wait and defend and wait and defend and then... spazz up the passing move. We could have twice as many goals if our players could play a 30 yard pass. It ain't rocket science.

Sanchez, Royal, Moura and Son are not able to pass the ball properly. Son gets away with this because he is a finisher, but he should never be expected to pass. The other 3 should be chopped up for firewood.

We wait and defend and wait and defend and then... spazz up the passing move. We could have twice as many goals if our players could play a 30 yard pass. It ain't rocket science.
Even a 5 hard pass played better would help
But then 3 of the 4 you mention are already upgraded on

Normally, Son's passing is way better. That's why he had such a good connection with Kane. I think Kane's counter-attacking passing has been underwhelming as well this season, he used to nail the target every time but he's been passing into opposition players. Still overall better than Son though. When you think about it, screwing up what should be a clear goal-scoring opportunity from one of our counter attacks gives the opposition an opportunity to counter when we fail our counter.

Normally, Son's passing is way better. That's why he had such a good connection with Kane. I think Kane's counter-attacking passing has been underwhelming as well this season, he used to nail the target every time but he's been passing into opposition players. Still overall better than Son though. When you think about it, screwing up what should be a clear goal-scoring opportunity from one of our counter attacks gives the opposition an opportunity to counter when we fail our counter.
Like happens when Romero missed the chance early second half

Back