• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - centre back

Who is going to partner King in the back two for our all time best Spurs team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How come Mackay is being presented as a centre half? Wouldn't the current equivalent of his typical position be more as a defensive midfielder?

Maybe older posters such as @parklane1 can clarify?
Agreed. He was an accomplished all-round player but no six-footer and though excellent with his head I don't recall that being one of his strongest suits.

Even DM might not be the best fit considering how much he liked to get forward to support the attack. He scored no less than 42 goals in 268 League games for us, one every six games, a fair percentage no doubt from just outside the box from where he was frequently partial to a fearsome long-range punt.

Starting to think we need a per-EPL and EPL first 11 (players that played across both but more in one going to the majority). They can then play each-other and we can argue about the result :D

Starting to think we need a per-EPL and EPL first 11 (players that played across both but more in one going to the majority). They can then play each-other and we can argue about the result :D

assuming you meant pre-EPL and EPL .. I agree, makes more sense.

And re the result .. people will vote the pre-EPL side as winner, but as with most sports, the modern athletes would probably win quite easily.

It is such a shame that @AuroRaman @Maltese Falcon and @afsoc4life will be leaving us soon :mad:

Haha, I had made my choices before the updated rules about loyalty, cup/title wins etc.

In my defence, the two best centre-backs I have seen live in my lifetime were King and Campbell. Completely taking my lilywhite specs off, Campbell was an absolute world-class, beast of a CB in his prime, and was the first name on our team-sheet before he defected to the dark side. If we're going purely on ability as a CB, he would be a close second only to Ledley in my eyes.

Soz, innit. I'm going to go and have a bath.

Haha, I had made my choices before the updated rules about loyalty, cup/title wins etc.

In my defence, the two best centre-backs I have seen live in my lifetime were King and Campbell. Completely taking my lilywhite specs off, Campbell was an absolute world-class, beast of a CB in his prime, and was the first name on our team-sheet before he defected to the dark side. If we're going purely on ability as a CB, he would be a close second only to Ledley in my eyes.

Fair play.

You'll be needing this ;)

049191-alt-domestos-thick-bleach-5L.jpg-440-440-nc.jpg

I couldn't bring myself to vote Scumball, but for me it should be about ability and not how much of a legend you are. I'll probably go for Modric even if he is a rat faced clam.

I'm sure that voting for Sulzeer is against site rules ;)

Then why did you put him on the list in the first place? I thought we were voting for the best Spurs team not the most loyal... :p

Scumball may have been a vile turncoat but, in terms of footballing talent, he was light years better than either Mabbutt or Roberts.

I'm picking Mike England, because, like Pat Jennings, he was part of the team I grew up with.

Based on my reading of history, Maurice Norman has to be the other choice. Two classic centre halves.

In recent times King and Campbell have been the best. Campbell could well have make the choice if he'd stayed, but would have been competing with Norman and England. King almost certainly would if he had been fully fit and stayed. King along side a stopper such as Norman or England would have been fantastic.

Perryman is another strong and sentimental candidate, but there is an out on this one.

How come Mackay is being presented as a centre half? Wouldn't the current equivalent of his typical position be more as a defensive midfielder?

Maybe older posters such as @parklane1 can clarify?

There is no question that the more defensive of the two half backs in the WM (usually the left one) graduated towards the second centre back by the late 60s. Bobby Moore and Dave Mackay made the transition, but everything I have read suggests Mackay made the transition after his Spurs days (with Derby). In the transition period there is a case for a comparison with the split CBs used by Barcelona, with the holding midfielder dropping deeper.

Given the 4-4-2 criterion for the selection, Mackay is a seductive choice. All accounts agree that he was much more of a footballer than his reputation has left us with and he could have been the footballing CB ("stroller") alongside a classic centre half or stopper. But then I have to choose between Norman and England.

Yeah I voted for Judas too, I made my decision based on ability and on whether I'd seen the player actually play for Spurs. I'm 30 so Judas is the second best CB I've seen for Spurs from the above choices.

If Woody had made the cut I'd have gone for him - his partnership with Ledley was majestic, although sadly we didn't see too much of it due to injuries for the pair of them. But their league cup final performance against Cheatski will live long in the memory - two absolutely top class players at the peak of their powers.

I'm picking Mike England, because, like Pat Jennings, he was part of the team I grew up with.

Based on my reading of history, Maurice Norman has to be the other choice. Two classic centre halves.

In recent times King and Campbell have been the best. Campbell could well have make the choice if he'd stayed, but would have been competing with Norman and England. King almost certainly would if he had been fully fit and stayed. King along side a stopper such as Norman or England would have been fantastic.

Perryman is another strong and sentimental candidate, but there is an out on this one.

There is no question that the more defensive of the two half backs in the WM (usually the left one) graduated towards the second centre back by the late 60s. Bobby Moore and Dave Mackay made the transition, but everything I have read suggests Mackay made the transition after his Spurs days (with Derby). In the transition period there is a case for a comparison with the split CBs used by Barcelona, with the holding midfielder dropping deeper.

Given the 4-4-2 criterion for the selection, Mackay is a seductive choice. All accounts agree that he was much more of a footballer than his reputation has left us with and he could have been the footballing CB ("stroller") alongside a classic centre half or stopper. But then I have to choose between Norman and England.

They were similar in style and stature and probably equally effective, but whilst England was probably the better footballer, Norman pulled in the better haul of medals ( League Champions, 2 FA Cups, European Cup-Winners Cup to England's FA Cup, League Cup and a UEFA Cup)

Jackson hates us. Big Arsenal fan and even celebrated when they played us and he was in the reserves

We met him at Newmarket and started out quite civil until he realised we were a bunch of yids... We ended up hammering him

I know I'm going off topic, but given how much he genuinely hated us I'm amazed Jackson ever signed for us. The story's of him leaping up from our bench when the Goons scored a equaliser at our place are legendary. What an absolute clam he must be. I wasn't an especially good footballer , but had I been there is no way I would have ever played for Arse, not for all the tea in China. Yes I know they are professionals and play as a job etc. But there are plenty of other teams to play for apart from your hated rivals.

Tricky ain't it. Who will partner King?

Judas was a superb footballer but is the worst human in England so I can't vote for that scumbag.

I don't know much at all about Maurice Norman but he sounds ace, won lots.

And McKay has to be in the team somewhere, for Gawd's sake.

I have voted for England and Mackay, I know Dave was not a real CB as such ( we only had one in those days) but he was an great defender and the hardest player I have seen on a football pitch. I saw him break his leg in a game at Utd and he was sat up on the stretcher as he was carried off ( clapping us fans). In those days a broken leg usually meant the end of your playing days but Dave was back playing a year later only for him to suffer another break to his leg, despite that he once again returned to capt our side and played in our 67 FA Cup win.

When he eventually left us he went to Derby and capt them to promotion to the top league. As I say he was the hardest player I have ever seen and yet he only stood 5ft 7ins tall, I suppose most fans have seen the great picture of him holding BB by the neck in a game against Leeds, the reason he did that was ( in his own words) he got kicked ( on purpose) by BB on the same leg he had broke. Since then he has said that he regreted doing that as it was not in the spirit of the game, there are many fans who believe Dave was our greatest ever player and I understand why they say that.

Well summed up.

Mackay was like a far more skillful Roy Keane, except he had a greater determination to win than Roy Keane did ...

In that era, players did not come back "as good as new" from a broken leg, so to do it twice is simply unbeleivable. Then, when he was supposedly finished, to go to middling-to-piddling club like Derby and win the league title with them demonstrates what an awesome presence he was.

Were I assembling an all-time THFC team that I wanted to actually win something, rather than one that would be easy on the eye, Mackay would be the first name on the team sheet ... but not as a centre back.

That famous picture of him with Bremner did him a disservice, as it fixed him in the minds of a lot of people as merely a hard man, whereas he was also very skillful.

Was he not part of that Scotland team that completely took the tinkle out of England at Wembley in the mid-sixties? Even you young 'uns might be aware that England had a very good team in the mid-sixties!

I also believe that when continental clubs used to be given the courtesy of training at WHL before a European match, Bill Nick used to send Mackay out to do ball skills to intimidate the watching opponents.

Years later, Graham Roberts would go out and eat a steel girder in a completely different form of intimidation ...

Unfortunately, these sorts of polls have a built-in bias against older candidates, which is why Robbie Williams comfortably beat Beethoven, Satchmo, the Duke, Parker, McCartney, Hendrix et al in a poll of the greatest musicians of all time about 10 years ago.

On the other hand, it is just a bit of fun, so vote for whoever you like for whatever reasons you like.

For me, King is in, and it is frightening to think he probably only operated at 70% of his potential after doing his knee in during his first team debut for the club.

Going back to the earlier point about picking a team to win, rather than one based on flair, sentiment and a good haircut, I'd probably go for Voldemort/Sauron/Vader/He Who Must Not Be Named, but fortunately there are enough good candidates to justify not choosing him.

Mike England was a dominant CB who was good in the air and, as a former winger (I believe) in his early days at Blackburn, not bad on the deck, but I actually preferred Mr Reliable, Phil Beal, for some reason.

Mabbutt was a bit in the same mould as Beal; he did not make many mistakes and though he was slow, he was the best timer of a tackle I have ever seen, with the possible exception of Bobby Moore.

Gough and Woodgate were both tremendous players. Gough had that winning mentality to go with his ability (starting to detect a theme here?) while Woodgate could have been one of the greats had he been able to stay fit; not many English players (never mind CBs) make it abroad, so that's a feather in his cap.

The two Dutch lads make a good pairing and certainly should make the list of famous Belgians, which is not as short as it used to be (Thierry Boutsen has just dropped out of the top 20), but it is early days.

Last edited:
As well as a pre-Sky 11 we should have an Invalids XI.

Danny Thomas, Ledley, Woody, Mackay, Gazza ... some good to great players who might have been greater still but for injuries.

Back