• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - centre back

Who is going to partner King in the back two for our all time best Spurs team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's not the only chance (unless he makes the team) and if we are playing 4-2-3-1 then he is a shoe in in his actual position.

If he wins this and then makes it in at CM as well, should we promote Mabbutt?

Mackay's in the top 2 CMs for me (alongside Hoddle).

No way he should be being considered as a CB (somewhere he never played)
Not sure that's entirely true. He dropped further back into the defence in his later years. However we're voting on where he played in his prime so yeah.

And then we'd have a bugger of a job picking a striker. Whatever the formation, we would have had problems fitting in someone, somewhere along the line.

I can't help think it easier to pick one striker than two. I'm clear on the one but there are so many options for the second.

I've played this game many times before and the formation is a bugger. Picking teams on 3-2-2-3 (WM), 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1 gets different results.

I suggest a compromise 4-2-3-2. One player is always likely to be injured and we just adjust the formation or pick a suitable referee to allow it.

After a hard fought contest Mabbutt partners King in central defence but Mackay lives to fight another day and is sure to be a contender for a place in midfield.

It looks like we might need a half day play-off between Mabbs and Mackay, unless someone is going to cast the deciding vote in the next eight minutes

King's through. I'll wipe the votes and edit the poll so that we can choose between Mabbutt and Mackay

Did you keep the votes of the first poll.

I'm trying to put together a team with backups. As Maclay is in already, the reserve CBs will be 4th and 5th in this poll, but I can't remember who they were. England and Norman, perhaps?

Did you keep the votes of the first poll.

I'm trying to put together a team with backups. As Maclay is in already, the reserve CBs will be 4th and 5th in this poll, but I can't remember who they were. England and Norman, perhaps?

Balls. No I didn't.

Perhaps someone else can remember. In the meantime I'm putting in England and Norman.

The team so far:
GG-GreatestTeam.svg

That team looks pretty impressive. If we add in Klinsmann or Chivers as back-up to Greaves then I think it would be a close run thing between the teams, although the A team would be difficult to score against.
Perhaps someone else can remember. In the meantime I'm putting in England and Norman.

The team so far:
GG-GreatestTeam.svg

I've being trying to reconstruct the original vote and determine the likely top 5. These are the relevant posts.
We're limited to a maximum of ten on the polls on this site. Which four should not make the cut?

KIng
Mabbutt
Roberts
Norman
Gough
England
Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Woodgate
Campbell
Miller
Dawson
Mackay
Naybet

I think that we might have to use time served to cut this down with Gough, Naybet, Woodgate and Alderweireld missing out.

I think your suggestion may be the way to go Players, like Toby have not been around for a while and I think if we are naming our best of all time he and others need to show it a bit longer.

Can anyone think of a better way of narrowing it down?

Gough, Woodgate, Alder and Naybet didn't play enough games. Lose those 4 IMO

That's my preference. Any objections?

A tough call but the short timers are going to miss the cut

So the vote was presumably for the following, with King first, Mackay and Mabbutt equal second (Mabbutt won the playoff 12-10).

1. King
2= Mabbutt
2=Mackay
Norman
England
Roberts
Miller
Campbell
Dawson
Vertonghen

Can't see it being anyone other than Norman and England in 4th and 5th.

I've being trying to reconstruct the original vote and determine the likely top 5. These are the relevant posts.

So the vote was presumably for the following, with King first, Mackay and Mabbutt equal second (Mabbutt won the playoff 12-10).

1. King
2= Mabbutt
2=Mackay
Norman
England
Roberts
Miller
Campbell
Dawson
Vertonghen

Can't see it being anyone other than Norman and England in 4th and 5th.

I think that you are on the money there

Back