• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - centre back

Who is going to partner King in the back two for our all time best Spurs team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nice to see a mention of Phil Beal a very underestimated player, like Mackay he was a winghalf and got his first game as a replacement for Danny Blanchflower. He formed a good partnership with Mike England and also filled in at rightback. Remember him man-marking George Best in a game and Bestie never got a kick.

Why is the judas in this list and why the hell has he got 7 votes?

Its completely irritational i know. But i actually hate that clam. Cant we completely write him out of our history. Erase his whole spurs existence? And definitely never ever ever have him in any fudging polls for the best spurs 11.

Also 1 year ban for anybody that voted for him. 6 months if they voted for him by accident (they should b3 more careful) and anybody that considered voting for him (but thankfully came to theor senses) should be given a stern warning by Chich and slapped with a wet fish while dressed in leather and stockings

This Mackay as central defender thing is ridiculous. He didn't even play there for Derby. Clough converted him from a left half to a sweeper.
Its like Real Madrid going out and voting Bale as their greatest right back of all time because people on a forum couldn't think of anyone else and didn't he play full back at Tottenham?

This Mackay as central defender thing is ridiculous. He didn't even play there for Derby. Clough converted him from a left half to a sweeper.
Its like Real Madrid going out and voting Bale as their greatest right back of all time because people on a forum couldn't think of anyone else and didn't he play full back at Tottenham?

Who rattled your cage :rolleyes:

I think the CB and CM positions are going to be the most difficult to decide and I have to say this promoted the most discussion when I discussed this with my dad, nephew and uncle! Now here are our thoughts:

We did consider Campbell but ruled him out for two reasons. One, the way he left. People may say it has nothing to do with football, but it has everything to do with football. An all time Spurs XI is what we are choosing, i.e. a team that we would be proud of. Second, even if he hadn't left the way he did, impressive as he was, he's not in one of our two best EVER centre backs. He was powerful, astute in the tackle but positionally quite poor and relied too much on his pace. The number of fouls he committed proves this to an extent and, if he was truly that world class, he would never have left the scum the first time. Third, he's a c*nt.

Mackay - He's a CM and would be one of the first names on the teamsheet as @galeforce and others have said. I actually think our formation should be 4-2-3-1 rather than a 4-4-2, but in whatever formation, Mackay would be the first name.

Ledley - We're all unanimous in the fact that he is in. His ability on the ball, the fact that he conceded very few freekicks, the fact that he could use either foot and the fact that he played in a poor performing team and still managed the most outrageous defensive tackles are all reasons as to why he gets in.

Mabbutt - Legend, but unfortunately not good enough.

England - What a player and he won a lot with Spurs. He also had the benefit of playing with some awesome players (Jennings, Knowles, Kinnear and Beale). And every bit of a man mountain as you could imagine.

Norman - Same comments for England. My father and uncle managed to get an audience with Sir Bill, and they both remember him saying that England and Norman would be his two best ever central defenders even though they never played with each other.

So, it is a choice between England and Norman, and Norman gets it by a whisker.

Our choices: Ledly and Norman with an honourable mention to England. Sol may have more medals, but he's not as good as those 3.

Why is the judas in this list and why the hell has he got 7 votes?

Its completely irritational i know. But i actually hate that clam. Cant we completely write him out of our history. Erase his whole spurs existence? And definitely never ever ever have him in any fudgeing polls for the best spurs 11.

Also 1 year ban for anybody that voted for him. 6 months if they voted for him by accident (they should b3 more careful) and anybody that considered voting for him (but thankfully came to theor senses) should be given a stern warning by Chich and slapped with a wet fish while dressed in leather and stockings

Dammit. If I had known those were the punishments, I would have 'come to my senses...'

I think the CB and CM positions are going to be the most difficult to decide and I have to say this promoted the most discussion when I discussed this with my dad, nephew and uncle! Now here are our thoughts:

We did consider Campbell but ruled him out for two reasons. One, the way he left. People may say it has nothing to do with football, but it has everything to do with football. An all time Spurs XI is what we are choosing, i.e. a team that we would be proud of. Second, even if he hadn't left the way he did, impressive as he was, he's not in one of our two best EVER centre backs. He was powerful, astute in the tackle but positionally quite poor and relied too much on his pace. The number of fouls he committed proves this to an extent and, if he was truly that world class, he would never have left the scum the first time. Third, he's a c*nt.

Mackay - He's a CM and would be one of the first names on the teamsheet as @galeforce and others have said. I actually think our formation should be 4-2-3-1 rather than a 4-4-2, but in whatever formation, Mackay would be the first name.

Ledley - We're all unanimous in the fact that he is in. His ability on the ball, the fact that he conceded very few freekicks, the fact that he could use either foot and the fact that he played in a poor performing team and still managed the most outrageous defensive tackles are all reasons as to why he gets in.

Mabbutt - Legend, but unfortunately not good enough.

England - What a player and he won a lot with Spurs. He also had the benefit of playing with some awesome players (Jennings, Knowles, Kinnear and Beale). And every bit of a man mountain as you could imagine.

Norman - Same comments for England. My father and uncle managed to get an audience with Sir Bill, and they both remember him saying that England and Norman would be his two best ever central defenders even though they never played with each other.

So, it is a choice between England and Norman, and Norman gets it by a whisker.

Our choices: Ledly and Norman with an honourable mention to England. Sol may have more medals, but he's not as good as those 3.

I agree with nearly everything there. The exception is I gave my votes to Norman and England because King was too often injured and not at his best long enough. I agree with the reasoning, but just made a slightly different judgement. A very hard choice. A shame we couldn't get Sir Bill's verdict with King in the mix.

And I'm totally with you on the formation. With 4-4-2, I'm not convinced Mackay will win the votes. But with 4-2-3-1 it becomes much easier to fit important players in further up the pitch. This discussion must wait, though.

Last edited:
I agree with nearly everything there. The exception is I gave my votes to Norman and England because King was too often injured and not at his best long enough. It was a very hard choice, though. A shame we couldn't get Sir Bill's verdict with King in the mix.

And I'm totally with you on the formation. With 4-4-2, I'm not convinced Mackay will win the votes. But with 4-2-3-1 it becomes much easier to fit important players in further up the pitch. This discussion must wait, though.

Funny you should say that. My uncle was with you, my dad on the fence and myself and my newphew arguing for King to be included because I guess he's the only one that we have seen. Norman and England or Norman and Ledley - Would be an incredibly impressive CB pairing and a very footballing one, but able to mix it up physically if needed.

I do understand those who say Mackay should be in the M/F position but in all honesty I do not see him getting in the two CM places ahead of the likes of Gazza Hoddle, Ossie etc. He was a great defender as well as leader and IF he fails to get in the side it would be a travesty that ( in the opinon of a lot of older Spurs fans) was probably our best ever player.

I do understand those who say Mackay should be in the M/F position but in all honesty I do not see him getting in the two CM places ahead of the likes of Gazza Hoddle, Ossie etc. He was a great defender as well as leader and IF he fails to get in the side it would be a travesty that ( in the opinon of a lot of older Spurs fans) was probably our best ever player.

That's why I think we should line up 4-2-3-1. There can be no all time team without Mackay and I know my grandad would be incensed with no Blanchflower or Mackay.....

That's why I think we should line up 4-2-3-1. There can be no all time team without Mackay and I know my grandad would be incensed with no Blanchflower or Mackay.....

I do not disagree with your formation but I think there are some fans who never had the pleasure to See Mackay play think he was not suited to being a defender, I did have that pleasure and he was a great defender with the timing, tracking and tackling ability of the best.

I do not disagree with your formation but I think there are some fans who never had the pleasure to See Mackay play think he was not suited to being a defender, I did have that pleasure and he was a great defender with the timing, tracking and tackling ability of the best.

Ahh sorry, I didn't get that point. And you're right, unfortunately I never had the privilege of seeing him play and can only go on what really my grandfather told me. What's telling for me is the fact that everyone is almost unanimous in the fact that he needs to be in the team.

If he does move to CB, then I suppose it opens up a position for Freund as defensive midfield!! ;)

Ahh sorry, I didn't get that point. And you're right, unfortunately I never had the privilege of seeing him play and can only go on what really my grandfather told me. What's telling for me is the fact that everyone is almost unanimous in the fact that he needs to be in the team.

If he does move to CB, then I suppose it opens up a position for Freund as defensive midfield!! ;)

Scheisse :eek:

It looks like we might need a half day play-off between Mabbs and Mackay, unless someone is going to cast the deciding vote in the next eight minutes

And then we'd have a bugger of a job picking a striker. Whatever the formation, we would have had problems fitting in someone, somewhere along the line.

Back