• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - centre back

Who is going to partner King in the back two for our all time best Spurs team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
King's through. I'll wipe the votes and edit the poll so that we can choose between Mabbutt and Mackay

And then we'd have a bugger of a job picking a striker. Whatever the formation, we would have had problems fitting in someone, somewhere along the line.

Not really, we have had some great forwards yes, but we've had one on another level.

I think I'll change my vote in the new poll, from Mackay to Mabbutt. As much as I want to get Mackay in this team, he was never really a centre-back for us was he?

Voted Mabbutt, I understand why Mackay is in the poll, but personally I can't vote for someone who hasn't really played in that position. Plus I love mabbutt, very underrated player and gets a lot of unfair stick because of his later playing days.

Sticking with Mabbutt, but mainly because I never saw Mackay play. We're not going to whittle all of the great Spurs players from history down to 11, so some sort of selection criteria have to be used. For me - it's a case of only voting for people I have direct experience of (so my "all-time" 11 is really a "since-1977" 11 when I first started watching Spurs). Otherwise I might as well just get out a stats book and base my votes on that.

As for formation... whatever we choose is going to result in some great players being left out. 4-4-2 allows us to choose 2 out-and-out strikers, but 4-2-3-1 gives us more space to add midfielders. When I think of the great Spurs teams of my life, it's generally been more about the midfield than the strikers (generally, not always of course); so I'd tend towards 4-2-3-1 for that reason. But ultimately there's no perfect solution.

Difficult decision between Mabbutt and Mackay as both were midfield players for most of their careers and then finished up at the back. However, as there is still some doubt about the formation that the 'best team' will play I will vote for Mackay as we really must get Mackay in the team somewhere. He is definitely in the best 11 players to have ever paid for Spurs.

With the quality of strikers that we will have to choose from, i.e. Greaves, Chivers, Gilzean, Lineker, Klinnsman, Sheringham, Berbatov etc it is going to be pretty difficult to narrow it down to 1 striker. Would 4-3-3 be better, perhaps with a qualification that 1 of the 3 strikers must be a winger?

With the quality of strikers that we will have to choose from, i.e. Greaves, Chivers, Gilzean, Lineker, Klinnsman, Sheringham, Berbatov etc it is going to be pretty difficult to narrow it down to 1 striker. Would 4-3-3 be better, perhaps with a qualification that 1 of the 3 strikers must be a winger?

And this is why we run this place as a benevolent dictatorship. All hell breaks loose when we ask for your opinions ;)

Welcome to the board, by the way :D

Back