• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - centre back

Who is going to partner King in the back two for our all time best Spurs team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It is a shame that this has come a year or two too early for Toby. He has not put a foot wrong since joining.

I wonder if @Gutter Boy still stands by his comment just before he signed

I agree, he was the player I really wanted us to sign this summer and I have no doubt that in a couple of years he will be reguarded as one of our best

Last edited:
Ok, again, before my time but from things I've read Maurice Norman has to be in there.

My second pick, based on logic which led to the RB outcome, is Blanchflower, obviously he was a half but with the two man MF we are going to end up with he absolutely cannot be left out, an integral part of the clubs history.

Honourable mentions for England, Mabbs, King and Dawson. Gough would have been in the conversation had he hung around for a while.

So are we settling on?

KIng
Mabbutt
Roberts
Gough
England
Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Woodgate
Campbell
Miller
Dawson

Anyone else who stands out?

So are we settling on?

KIng
Mabbutt
Roberts
Gough
England
Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Woodgate
Campbell
Miller
Dawson

You need to put Mackay in there as he was the deep W.H. while Danny was the one further forward.

So are we voting for who was the technically best player in each position or who played the most games and wore his heart on his sleeve and loved the club? Although in Ledleys case he was probably both.

So are we voting for who was the technically best player in each position or who played the most games and wore his heart on his sleeve and loved the club? Although in Ledleys case he was probably both.

Whatever you think is most important

CB or CM? Although I am happy to put him in twice

Well as great a player as he was I do not see him getting in our CM, to be honest, as I said its a different game nowadays and we did not play with two CB's during his time. Having said that he was more of a defender then Danny was and could play the defensive role better then most.

Its a bit like the Perryman debate in the earlier thread, however I would have no objection if you put him in both.

Well as great a player as he was I do not see him getting in our CM, to be honest, as I said its a different game nowadays and we did not play with two CB's during his time. Having said that he was more of a defender then Danny was and could play the defensive role better then most.

Its a bit like the Perryman debate in the earlier thread, however I would have no objection if you put him in both.

I'll add him to this one and he can join the CM one if he does not make the cut here but I think Gazza and Hoddle will have that one sown up.

We're limited to a maximum of ten on the polls on this site. Which four should not make the cut?

KIng
Mabbutt
Roberts
Norman
Gough
England
Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Woodgate
Campbell
Miller
Dawson
Mackay
Naybet

So are we settling on?

KIng
Mabbutt
Roberts
Gough
England
Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Woodgate
Campbell
Miller
Dawson

As Park Lane says, Maurice Norman is a must. He was an absolute rock in the centre of the defence that won us the Double plus another FA Cup as well as Britain's first ever European club trophy. Though neither exceptionally fast or skilful he was nevertheless a giant of a defender in every sense. He totally dominated in the air and was not that far behind Mackay in tackling ability. Best of all, he oozed a calm, reliable presence at centre back that permeated through the whole of the defence.

As Park Lane says, Maurice Norman is a must. He was an absolute rock in the centre of the defence that won us the Double plus another FA Cup as well as Britain's first ever European club trophy. Though neither exceptionally fast or skilful he was nevertheless a giant of a defender in every sense. He totally dominated in the air and was not that far behind Mackay in tackling ability. Best of all, he oozed a calm, reliable presence at centre back that permeated through the whole of the defence.

I've added him to the long list

We're limited to a maximum of ten on the polls on this site. Which four should not make the cut?

KIng
Mabbutt
Roberts
Norman
Gough
England
Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Woodgate
Campbell
Miller
Dawson
Mackay
Naybet

I think that we might have to use time served to cut this down with Gough, Naybet, Woodgate and Alderweireld missing out.

Back