• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v Southampton ***

Solid defensively, but quite a few poor passes and first touches. Pretty much went hiding when Southampton put us under pressure.

Tempo difference was so clear when Winks came on. First situation instead of taking a safe touch looking to set up a physical duel with the nearest player he was oriented and took a perfect touch into space to up our tempo and exploit the space that was there.

Dembele and Wanyama helped make us solid in the last 15 though.

Funny, I had this debate with my mate. He felt the same as you. One thing though, he absolutely did NOT ever hide. Not in his nature. He dropped deeper because both Son and Eriksen simply could not push on like they were first-half, furthermore I think he was under orders to cover Walker more than usual/keep an eye due to fitness; he also passed a late test so was carrying something himself.

I would have started Winks today over Moose for reasons discussed above, and still feel that our main tempo issues stem from Moose not Wanyama. I am
a major Winks fan and have been for a while. Despite some criticisms, for me Poch got his subs right today given his first 11.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Thought Wanyama was really poor today, and that reverberated through the rest of the team. Winning less of our battles. Less sure of our passing. Commitment still good but I think there was some nervousness in some of the players today.

What I must add to this is that it shows just how much Kane offers in terms of movement and space creation. Without him we find it harder on that basis alone!

I thought we had a big problem without a striker on the pitch

I like son but he isn't a hold up player and when we're under pressure and being pressed we needed that out ball and it wasn't there

That for me was a great win and it was all about managing the game out and getting the result

Gutted we conceded as we did as it was a poor goal to concede but ultimately Hugo made no other saves at all which shows how little they really threatened the goal

Loved Shane Longs abuse of the Lino for him being offside all the time.... it's clearly the linos fault that he can't get the basics right

The second half felt long and drawn out but in reality once they scored they did very liitle to test Hugo. defensively we got it spot on - Long may have electric pace but it comes at the expense of poorly timed runs which constantly allowed us to catch him offside and thus to slow down play.

Sometimes you have to take stock and realise that for whatever reason things aren't working out going forwards so instead have to manage the game as well as possible which I feel we did. Yes, it was frustrating how often we gave away possession but this was generally in the final third where there is less risk and in Wanyama the crucial space was invariably covered.

This sort of win will only build confidence that we are able to win games in different ways.

Heartily agreed

I look forward to reading your joyful recanting celebration after we win.

Definitely still looking forward to simon harris's celebration.
I just finished watching the match which was great, though repeatedly discoloured by the sour Alan Smith co-commentary incessantly wishing Southampton to recover and doing us down. I don't view him as important or worthy of extreme ire, but it does lessen my enjoyment of the whole experience to such a degree that it isn't wholly counter-balanced by my thoughts of his misery as our win is confirmed at the final whistle.

If you look at the stats of other clubs midfielders,they are well ahead of us. We are lacking behind in goals from this area. We must move forward in this area if we are to be a more comprehensive football team!

Which stats?
I'll take us being second in the league at this stage of the season. I feel comprehensively far better about Spurs than at almost any time in my 26 years supporting them.

If you look at the stats of other clubs midfielders,they are well ahead of us. We are lacking behind in goals from this area. We must move forward in this area if we are to be a more comprehensive football team!

We have 4 players in double figures now

No one has anyone near to that return in their top scorers

And I'm sure if you mean the holding midfielders wanyama has more goals than Kante and matic hasn't scored this season has he?

We missed harry, a couple of times Dele had good possession in the box but got robbed because he's lookingfor harry.
Not convinced son is the answer up top alone against a team like Southampton, he couldn't really get I to.the game through the middle.

How many times did the ref play advantage when romelo cleared some one out and you thought that he would go back and book him, I counted at least 3.

1st half good. Soton caused us problems but we still looked like the better team.

Then 2nd half they came out the traps quickly and won most headers and second balls and gave us a really tough game. Thought they were good value for a point. This win was impressive, you can't always play well and it's important to grind out wins when you're slightly below par.

Not really surprising that the attack is blunted to an extent without Kane. Even when he's having an average game, he can stick the ball in the back of the net from any angle with his right foot, left foot or with his noggin.

I think the remaining games will be similar to today, tense and hard fought. Perhaps the odd exception where we catch a team on an off day and batter them 3 or 4 nil but every game now is a like a cup final.

Jansen did enough in the 15 mins or so to earn a start against Burnley, plus it will more than likely be a physical game and he's more suited to that kind of thing than Son, who I do like a lot and defend regularly.

Fukking GREAT result. Especially going into the international beak.
From Radio commentary it sounded like great game management by Poch, plus you suspect those who were a doubt before the game weren't able to play at 100% (so Wanyama, Dembele and Walker should be cut some slack imo)

We will need our defence to go back to being miserly pretty quickly though (esp with Kane out)

What happened? After the second goal we just stopped. Lloris will never be absolutely top drawer as a keeper because he regularly has games like this where he loses his nerve. Looked like an accident waiting to happen all day. Davies, sorry, not up to it. He panicked and they should have had a stone wall penalty. Apart from Eriksen's running, there wasn't much to be happy with in todays performance, apart from the fact that we won. I hope Poch really reves them up after the game.

I see what you're getting it. When we first signed him, I thought we'd pulled off an unbelievable coup. He's been the best keeper we've had in my lifetime but I can see where you're coming from about him losing his nerve at times. This and his distribution are the only things stopping him from being one of the true elite top 3 keepers in world football. He's arguably 2nd or 3rd behind Courtois and perhaps De Goa but I can't see teams like Real signing him for example, which is very good for us.

I think he's at his level to tell the truth, he's in the handful of best keepers in the league playing for one of the top 4/5 teams in the country.

Fukking GREAT result. Especially going into the international beak.
From Radio commentary it sounded like great game management by Poch, plus you suspect those who were a doubt before the game weren't able to play at 100% (so Wanyama, Dembele and Walker should be cut some slack imo)

We will need our defence to go back to being miserly pretty quickly though (esp with Kane out)

Dembele was excellent besides his reluctancy to shoot unless he's on the goal line. Wanyama was not quite at his best but still good.

Walker had a bad game, he didn't look 100%. He got beat in a foot race by Beltrand who's no slouch admittedly but you'd back Walker 9 times out of 10 to win that race.

Dembele was excellent besides his reluctancy to shoot unless he's on the goal line. Wanyama was not quite at his best but still good.

Walker had a bad game, he didn't look 100%. He got beat in a foot race by Beltrand who's no slouch admittedly but you'd back Walker 9 times out of 10 to win that race.

Yeah, is was surprised to hear that and it must be due to whatever made him doubtful for the match.

Btw WHAT exactly the injury issues? Pocj i believe said "it is a personal matter"...eh???o_O

Yeah, is was surprised to hear that and it must be due to whatever made him doubtful for the match.

Btw WHAT exactly the injury issues? Pocj i believe said "it is a personal matter"...eh???o_O

Well the club website mentioned "a home injury" so we have to read between the lines I guess. Perhaps he got into a barney with his missus and she threw a cup of tea at him and it landed on his foot.

What are people's views on the penalty shouts today? I'm still 50/50 on Alli's, there was definitely contact but he also left his left leg dangling.

Soton had a good shout for a pen. The penalty came shortly after a free kick awarded to Soton for which the player who received the ball for the foul was offside you could argue it wouldn't have happened had the linesman done his job. Still techincally a pen for me though, Davies kicked Tadic.

Back