• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v Southampton ***

That 1987 team...how we never won anything I will never know. Tbh though never realised we won 14 on the boucne thta seaosn

we have always been flaky away from home and solid to spectacular at the lane

Last season we had a great balance but clearly overall were better now

That 1987 team...how we never won anything I will never know. Tbh though never realised we won 14 on the boucne thta seaosn

It was across two seasons, 1986-7 and 1987-8. The run was book-ended by two 2-1 defeats v the Arse.

Villa (3-0), Southampton (2-0), Leicester (5-0), QPR (1-0), Liverpool (1-0), Norwich (3-0), Charlton (1-0), Oxford Utd (3-1), Man Utd (4-0)

Saudi Sportswashing Machine (3-1), Chelsea (1-0), Oxford Utd (3-0), Southampton (2-1), Sheffield Wednesday (2-0)

P14 W14 D0 L0 F34 A3

It was across two seasons, 1986-7 and 1987-8. The run was book-ended by two 2-1 defeats v the Arse.

Villa (3-0), Southampton (2-0), Leicester (5-0), QPR (1-0), Liverpool (1-0), Norwich (3-0), Charlton (1-0), Oxford Utd (3-1), Man Utd (4-0)

Saudi Sportswashing Machine (3-1), Chelsea (1-0), Oxford Utd (3-0), Southampton (2-1), Sheffield Wednesday (2-0)

P14 W14 D0 L0 F34 A3

Why does that not surprise me.

What happened? After the second goal we just stopped. Lloris will never be absolutely top drawer as a keeper because he regularly has games like this where he loses his nerve. Looked like an accident waiting to happen all day. Davies, sorry, not up to it. He panicked and they should have had a stone wall penalty. Apart from Eriksen's running, there wasn't much to be happy with in todays performance, apart from the fact that we won. I hope Poch really reves them up after the game.

There's clearly a huge gulf between Rose and Davies but I'm happy with Davies as a backup. I can't think of too many other back ups that are better except for Luke Shaw.

Reactions: DTA
I think this was a good game for Dembele and Wanyama together. Vertonghen is back (important) and it was likely going to be a fairly open game with Southampton not being particularly happy to press way up (like City or Liverpool) or likely to completely sit back and park the bus. Keeping a good balance and stopping counter attacks when we do dominate in these games becomes more important.

I was really impressed with the way Southampton setup to counter us. Normally we strangle the opposition with pressing to ensure we dominate possession and the only option open to the opponent is a long ball which ends up back in our hands where we can build from the back again (or as a bonus they play short, we win it and are then in on goal). Southampton are one of very few teams who managed to play through and around the press. I think it was partially an off day from our lads and also very intelligent passing and movement from them. It meant the 2nd half was a very open end-to-end game. That said they fell short in the final third, thankfully. Fair play to them for having a go in that manner - a lot of teams just seem to show up ready to defend and hope for a 0-0 these days.

Stat from the Daily Torygraph (I didn't buy it).

Players in starting 11's costing more than £15
Emirates Marketing Project 9
Manure 7
Cheat$ki 7
Dippers 4
Goons 4
Us 1

Happy with the win but we really made hard work of it. This season we seem to be starting matches strongly and finishing poorly. This was again the case against Southampton. We played well in the first half and should have scored more than the 2 goals. But we didn't turn up in the second half and almost let Southampton back into the game. Fortunately for us, Southampton were toothless in attack and couldn't take advantage of our poor form in the second half. We really need to learn to kill games off when we are playing well.

Credit to Eriksen and Alli for the goals. Eriksen's goal came just at the right time and it was a brilliant long range goal. Wish Eriksen can score more goals like that. It seemed like a soft penalty for Alli's goal. Thought Alli went looking for the penalty but he took his penalty well. Amazing to know that it was Alli's first ever penalty in his career. But apart from the goal, thought Alli was poor for large periods of the game. He really needs to keep it simple instead of always trying those circus back flicks which rarely comes off. Thought Son was poor as well. In fact, Son had 2 one-on-one chances which he really should have scored, first early in the game and the second just after Southampton had scored. This match again shows that Son is too inconsistent to be our main goal scorer. Janssen did really well when he came on but he should have scored or passed to Alli for the chance he had after coming on.

Our midfield of Wanyama and Dembele did well in the first half but went missing in the second half. In fact, we let Southampton outplay us in midfield in the second half. Wanyama made too many errors in the second half. Dembele had a mixed game. He was dribbling past almost all the Southampton players he faced but disappointingly he didn't make any useful shot or pass from it. Not sure why Dembele doesn't try to score goals now like he used to when he was at Fulham. Atleast Dembele had the the assist for Eriksen's goal. I think we should have brought on Sissoko instead of Winks to improve our midfield in the second half.

Really disappointed with the way our defence conceded the goal. Southampton hardly had any shots on goal but somehow we managed to let them score. Not sure who to blame but since Dier started to play in defence, we have let in some soft goals. Even Vertonghen and Alderweireld are making too many errors now. After Vertonghen's mistake against Everton last time, this time it was the mistake by Alderweireld which enabled Southampton to score. Also Lloris looked nervous whole match. Not sure why we keep making those back passes to Lloris when he cannot make a proper kick of the ball.

Despite the unconvincing win, glad we managed to get our 10th consecutive league win at home. It was really important to get this win especially after Kane was ruled out due to injury. Let's hope we will improve our performance and go on a long winning run in the coming matches.

I was really impressed with the way Southampton setup to counter us. Normally we strangle the opposition with pressing to ensure we dominate possession and the only option open to the opponent is a long ball which ends up back in our hands where we can build from the back again (or as a bonus they play short, we win it and are then in on goal). Southampton are one of very few teams who managed to play through and around the press. I think it was partially an off day from our lads and also very intelligent passing and movement from them. It meant the 2nd half was a very open end-to-end game. That said they fell short in the final third, thankfully. Fair play to them for having a go in that manner - a lot of teams just seem to show up ready to defend and hope for a 0-0 these days.

Southampton have a good team, they came close to beating United in a cup final not that long ago. I think most Spurs fans with reasonable expectations expected a tough game against them and they delivered just that. We could have been better for sure, but we were without Kane, Lamela and Rose and overall I think we did alright.

Happy with the win but we really made hard work of it. This season we seem to be starting matches strongly and finishing poorly. This was again the case against Southampton. We played well in the first half and should have scored more than the 2 goals. But we didn't turn up in the second half and almost let Southampton back into the game. Fortunately for us, Southampton were toothless in attack and couldn't take advantage of our poor form in the second half. We really need to learn to kill games off when we are playing well.

Credit to Eriksen and Alli for the goals. Eriksen's goal came just at the right time and it was a brilliant long range goal. Wish Eriksen can score more goals like that. It seemed like a soft penalty for Alli's goal. Thought Alli went looking for the penalty but he took his penalty well. Amazing to know that it was Alli's first ever penalty in his career. But apart from the goal, thought Alli was poor for large periods of the game. He really needs to keep it simple instead of always trying those circus back flicks which rarely comes off. Thought Son was poor as well. In fact, Son had 2 one-on-one chances which he really should have scored, first early in the game and the second just after Southampton had scored. This match again shows that Son is too inconsistent to be our main goal scorer. Janssen did really well when he came on but he should have scored or passed to Alli for the chance he had after coming on.

Our midfield of Wanyama and Dembele did well in the first half but went missing in the second half. In fact, we let Southampton outplay us in midfield in the second half. Wanyama made too many errors in the second half. Dembele had a mixed game. He was dribbling past almost all the Southampton players he faced but disappointingly he didn't make any useful shot or pass from it. Not sure why Dembele doesn't try to score goals now like he used to when he was at Fulham. Atleast Dembele had the the assist for Eriksen's goal. I think we should have brought on Sissoko instead of Winks to improve our midfield in the second half.

Really disappointed with the way our defence conceded the goal. Southampton hardly had any shots on goal but somehow we managed to let them score. Not sure who to blame but since Dier started to play in defence, we have let in some soft goals. Even Vertonghen and Alderweireld are making too many errors now. After Vertonghen's mistake against Everton last time, this time it was the mistake by Alderweireld which enabled Southampton to score. Also Lloris looked nervous whole match. Not sure why we keep making those back passes to Lloris when he cannot make a proper kick of the ball.

Despite the unconvincing win, glad we managed to get our 10th consecutive league win at home. It was really important to get this win especially after Kane was ruled out due to injury. Let's hope we will improve our performance and go on a long winning run in the coming matches.

The robot has spoken...

Can you confirm the two one on ones?? If you mean the first shot when he hit it first time i wouldn't call that a one on one an dim not sure of the second...

Winks was on the pitch 20 minutes and had better dribbling stats than any player the whole game. He drove us forward and back into there half

We have the best defence in the league and yes we have had Jan and now Toby make a mistake (still amazed Dier hasn't been blamed) but their not infallible

Your spot on with them being toothless in attack and no taking any shots. Their fans complained after saying they were unlucky but fir me they have to shoot earn anything in football

The robot has spoken...

Can you confirm the two one on ones?? If you mean the first shot when he hit it first time i wouldn't call that a one on one an dim not sure of the second...

Winks was on the pitch 20 minutes and had better dribbling stats than any player the whole game. He drove us forward and back into there half

We have the best defence in the league and yes we have had Jan and now Toby make a mistake (still amazed Dier hasn't been blamed) but their not infallible

Your spot on with them being toothless in attack and no taking any shots. Their fans complained after saying they were unlucky but fir me they have to shoot earn anything in football

They did have some chances. The Gabbiadini shot just wide. The Tadic (?) chance where the ball was incorrectly judged to have been out was a massive chance created regardless of the assistant's poor vision. They should probably have had a penalty too. At the other end we created chances in the first half, probably the opening 15-20 minutes were our best. But they kept us away for most of the second half quite successfully.

Winks was very good once again.

Shane Long made all the difference. Joke all you want about his offsides. Last season in May he ran in behind all game causing Alderweireld and Vertonghen all sorts of problems. We had to drop deeper and deeper to defend against the fastest player in the Premier League. He disrupted our normal high line.

And it was the same when he came on today. Alderweireld and Vertonghen were suddenly nervous. And he forced us to start sitting deep again.

It really didn't help that we had no out ball. Janssen for Son should have been a much earlier sub.

I'm sorry but Son isn't a forward, he might score when he gets the space but he offers no physical presence, and he hasn't the in box intelligence or anticipation that a real striker has.

At least Janssen did a job physically when he came on.

I think we might be better off using Alli as a striker until Kane comes back. Son hasn't a chance against how Burnley defend at home.
I agree with some of your post, but not the part about Shane Long. I don't remember Southampton creating a single chance after they scored and that was despite them having plenty of possession. I thought Long was completely ineffective, all I can remember him doing was being offside every single time Southampton got the ball forward which disrupted their rhythm and played into our hands in seeing the game out. I think if Gabbiadini had been on the pitch in that second half instead of Long then we may well have found ourselves not winning that game.

Well Off course....but if we were fireing on all cylinders ie ,Dembele or Wanyama scoring on the odd occasion you would feel even better.
These players are not scoring are they?
It would add more to the Team if these players could pose more of a threat.
I did look at stats of all the goal scorers in the Prem and felt some of our regulars were not scoring.
Anyway..who was that chelsmell player who won them the game against manure?
I want to see some of our midfield winning games for us as well!

Thank the good Lord that Erickson is scoring again.....

CoyS.............
We typically have at 3 excellent goal scorers in the team at the same time (any 3 of Kane, Eriksen, Ali or Son). We do not need Wanyama or Dembele to be scoring goals. I would argue that we are actually much better off with the pair of them being fully aware and focused on their defensive job for the team and concentrating on that aspect, instead of going for personal glory.... Especially in games that we are winning or on top in.

It was a tough game in the end. Glad Southampton and Everton are out the way. Hoping they can secure some points against our rivals now

Talking of which, whats happened to @parklane1 ?
I enjoy his post match updates.

Was wondering the same.

I am still here guys :), i have had to step in for a mate on a course as he was ill and because of that i have not been on here for a couple of weeks.

As for yesterdays game, it was a funny performance as i do not think any of our players were at their best. No one was poor but they all were a little bit off and were not on their game ( imo), i still think we deserved the win though but that last 10 minutes or so was nervy to say the least.

I was glad to see Gabbidini going off as he looked dangerous while he was on, Long may be a quick player but he really offered nothing and was never going to cause us much trouble in the box (41 goals in 168 Prem games is poor). As i said earlier for what ever reason almost of our players seemed to struggle to do the simple things( which they have been doing well all season) and because of that we struggled to finish the game off. In previous years we would/could have lost the game but it shows the progress we are making when we can have a off day but still win the three points.

Back