• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League 2012-13 - QF: Basel (SUI)

In two minds about doing the aways next season On one hand it's spurs and I have a great laugh where ever they play on the other do I want have the tinkle taken out of me again like time travelled all way to Donetsk to watch our reserves play? Instead of just going with the flow on a game to game basis would like Harry to come out and clarify his intentions for the competition
I think it depends on the game really. I'm more likely to get a ticket for an away fixture now as they'll be less in demand than a Champions League fixture which works out well for me. I guess it all depends on the group stages - if we play strong line-ups from the outset then we'll continue to do so.

I'm well up for a European away again this season, it's probably the most fun you can have as a football fan.

I think it depends on the game really. I'm more likely to get a ticket for an away fixture now as they'll be less in demand than a Champions League fixture which works out well for me. I guess it all depends on the group stages - if we play strong line-ups from the outset then we'll continue to do so.

I'm well up for a European away again this season, it's probably the most fun you can have as a football fan.

As posted earlier, I'm hoping the same too. We'll only get one shot at an away day due to work commitments. Matchday 4 in October. Fingers crossed

Think it'll be a case of picking and choosing and yes you're right be lot more chance getting a ticket which is good for younguns etc I'm also in two minds about whether it's right or wrong way redknapp set up last season ok we didn't get out of group and ballsed up but starting to think to be completely honest it's the way to go and our 'squad' should have enough about them to do the business. Hopefully the aways are a bit more affordable this year too

Whats the bet that Chelsea get knocked out as the third side in the group stage, parachute into the Europa League draw us in the semis and knock us out with an extra time dodgy penalty? "it's written in the stars." Gary Neville has seen the glory,

If we win the Europa League and then win the super cup then it's like winning the champions league so let's go for it.

Its about the money more than anything.
Last season Partizan Belgrade got in the Champion's League groups and lost all 6 games scoring 2 goals. They earned more prize money than Porto the Winner of Europa League, who went 17 games unbeaten in Europe.

Oh I'm so looking forward to our away fixtures against Dynamo Tractor, or Red Star Metalurgy or whomever we get drawn to play!

I don't think Harry did a whole lot wrong in the Europa League, despite the early exit. The result that cost us was the home game against PAOK, and the team we put out should have been more than capable of beating them (especially as they were reduced to ten men after 35 minutes):
Code:
Tottenham Hotspur (4-4-2):					PAOK (4-2-3-1):
--------------------------					---------------
Gomes								Chalkias (C)
Ćorluka								Etto
Gallas								Contreras (Cirillo 81)
Bassong (C)							Malezas
Rose (Bale 63)							Stafylidis
Lennon								Garc?¡a
Livermore							Lazăr (Arias 84)
Modrić								Salpigidis
Pienaar (Walker 68)						Fotakis
Defoe								Georgiadis (Sznaucner 63)
Kane (Falqu?® 72)						Athanasiadis
And in playing mostly fringe/youth players in the group stages he protected our first team for league games played three days later. Our results in them? We beat Arsenal (H), Liverpool at (H), Blackburn (A), Fulham (A), Bolton (H) and Sunderland (H). Six games, six wins. The one thing I disliked was Harry's overt disdain for the competition in not even registering Friedel, VDV & Ade for it, and having an embarrassing four subs on the bench in the Shamrock Rovers away game.

i've only missed about 5 european aways since we've been regulars again but i'm not sure i'll be bothering this year if we're keep putting out the kids.

went to kazan last year but i can't continue to justify a monkey and more on games we ain't even trying to win.

vdv wasn't registered cos he picked up a injury that looked like keeping him out for a month or two at the end of august and missing 3 or 4 of the group games. as it turned he was back in 2 weeks.

The Europa really is like a curse or a punishment, no-one wants to be in it. A couple of months ago when it looked like Chelsea were to miss out on the CL, there was stories in the papers that Platini said he wants to scrap the Europa and expand the Champions League, which would give 2 extra places to England, Germany, Spain....1 extra to Italy, France and so on. Suddenly they've gone quiet, I doubt we'll hear about again.

Yes lets go all out to win it and hey, if we get to the final we will match the achievment of Fulham..............Rangers.............and fudging Middlesborough !!! THATS how meaningless this is.

fudge Europa Leage.

vdv wasn't registered cos he picked up a injury that looked like keeping him out for a month or two at the end of august and missing 3 or 4 of the group games. as it turned he was back in 2 weeks.

Fair enough, I remember him being particulary put out by not being registered for it - which is great to see to be honest.

I don't think Harry did a whole lot wrong in the Europa League, despite the early exit. The one thing I disliked was Harry's overt disdain for the competition in not even registering Friedel, VDV & Ade for it, and having an embarrassing four subs on the bench in the Shamrock Rovers away game.

I think his selections were about right but it is this overt disdain that was the issue. The players must pick up on this as with all his media comments and it must have an effect on their performances - "the boss don't care so it don't matter how I perform". Wish Redknapp would keep his thoughts in his hhead sometimes rather than feeding copy to the papers.

Talk the EL up, sell it to the players, sell it to the fringe players as a great chance for them rather than them just making up the numbers and protecting the seniors for the meaningful games in the EPL.

Good. We can continue with the throwing of Carling Cup & Europa league games in order to focus on the league.

Is it me or are English clubs the only one's who treat the Europa league with such disdain? Is it an opinion shared on the continent? I'm not so sure.

Back