• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League 2012-13 - QF: Basel (SUI)

The fact is this is a competition we could win. Its a joke that we are putting CL qualification above everything else. How many trophies have we won over the last 20-30 years? We will never win the CL or the prem in our current form so why not give this this a real try and at least get our name mentioned in European football again as a big team.

The fact is this is a competition we could win. Its a joke that we are putting CL qualification above everything else. How many trophies have we won over the last 20-30 years? We will never win the CL or the prem in our current form so why not give this this a real try and at least get our name mentioned in European football again as a big team.

I totally agree.

Aslo, there is no guarantee we would have qualified for the CL group stages (another reason why Arsenal fans werent bothered if we were in it and not Chelsea), looking at how its shaping up we would have drawn one of the following:

Udinese,Malaga,Lille,Borussia MG and one other, possibly Fenerbache

No real gimmes there over 2 legs. I know its not really the point, but we could have lost the qualifier and ended up in the same place we are now.

I would really love to see the Club give it a go next season. Wonder what the demand will be like for the Away trips, maybe this will give us Members the chance for a European away day?

I would really love to see the Club give it a go next season. Wonder what the demand will be like for the Away trips, maybe this will give us Members the chance for a European away day?

I think you will have a sniff, ive been on autopay ever since they have brought it in, not next season now, am not going to tossy EL games against unknown teams, they can sticky it up their fudging arses, im not alone in doing that either

I think you will have a sniff, ive been on autopay ever since they have brought it in, not next season now, am not going to tossy EL games against unknown teams, they can sticky it up their fudging arses, im not alone in doing that either

Cheers for the feedback Mark. I have a feeling the demand will be a lot less than recent seasons. With the wife working at a school the chances to do away days are limited to half-terms. Will get one chance next season, but with our luck, no doubt it will be a home game on that Matchday

Liverpool, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Tottenham.

Liverpool start in the 3rd quals too. Had they won the FA Cup they would have been straight into the groups and we would have been playing a 2-legged qual in August.
The only plus to Chelsea winning the Cup

And right so, frankly. It pains me to say it, but the way football's gone in recent years, there is no other place to be than the Champions League if you want to play European football. I fudging hate saying that, because I remember what it used to be like, but the Europa feels distinctly second rate. Worse. It's a sad and damning indictment. A real shame.

Worse, its more damaging to a clubs form and fortune than NOT being in it.

Its like its designed to keep second tier teams out of the CL. The schedule, the traveling, the bricky teams and pitches - it stretches a squad MORE than the CL does by a long way IMHO.

I guess this is good news for Caulker and Naughton, both should be confident of getting a fair amount of game time, in the PL and the EL. Maybe Kane will stay, I liked what I saw of him but perhaps a full season in the championship would be best for his development.

Edit: Luongo as well seems an interesting player who could get some time

Hope we get a young promising striker or two to play in this competition as well, and as said, mainly squad player in the group stages then stronger teams in the knockout should we get through.

Last edited:
Just like we did this season? We really took the tinkle.

Like I said, I hope we take it seriously. We've stopped taking the carling cup seriously. We've been thrashed in two of our four runs in the FA cup. And haven't given the UEFA cup the slightest big of respect. We have the squad to win a trophy, we're not going to win the league or CL(if we even manage to get into it) so why don't we go for the trophies we can win?

And eventually, we're going to have to learn how to play in Europe properly and still remain competitive in the league.

I agree completely.

Having said this, we know what 'Arry thinks. He doesn't agree at all.

We may as well not be in the fudging competition, it's just gonna be miserable viewing.

If we go for the EL there's no way we'll manage to finish in the top 4. It'll kill our PL season. Sorry but we gotta play the squad players in the EL again.

Yep, agree with this. Our best 5 or 6 players shouldnt play in the Europa ideally til the quarters or at worst the last 16. Squad players and youth should get us through til then

So Europa league next season. Even though im massively dissapointed about missing out on the CL. Im already looking at which away days I would do...
Inter Milan, Twente, some decent spanish and german teams, and also Napoli.
Sad as it sounds im a bit buzzing for a european away without the mongs and CL hanger-ons..
20th september is our first group game, so could still be lovely weather for a mediterrean team!

I think next season's EL could well be tougher than this season (and look how that turned out for us). This season we were 3rd highest in the UEFA rankings out of all the entrants to the EL. Next season we are 9th highest - with teams like Inter, Lyon and Marseille not qualifying for the CL.

Entering into the group stages will be a big plus the time. WIll mean that we dont have any distractions for the first 5-6 weeks of the league and no issues with resting players and therefore, in theory, the only reason why we shouldnt be able to get off to a decent start in the league would be if we dont wrap our transfer up til late August

I would love us to take this competition serious, unfortunately under Redknapp we will sack it again. I really hope we have another manager by then and one who is not in the job to satisfy his own ego.

Even the way the media report it devalues it. 'spurs have to settle for a place in the bricky Europa league' we should either take it seriously or tell UEFA we ain't interested. Litterally fudge the competition off

"SPURS CONDEMNED TO THE EUROPA LEAGUE" were SSN's EXACT words... condemned... CON-fudging-DEMNED!

Rapists and Murderers are CONDEMNED... not a football club who QUALIFY FOR A fudging EUROPEAN COMPETITION... fudge off Sky, you're part of the reason this game's turned into such a fudging money-hungry corrupt mess!

...and talking of Sky, can I just say (again) on record... I fudging HATE BRIAN SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSWANSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSON! I mean genuinely DESSSSSSSSSSSSStinkleSSSSE the guy! It's irrational and makes no ssssssensssssssssse, but there it is, I've said it.

The Current bun can wip the tinkle out of Woy... I'm excercissssing my right to be annoyed by a broadcassssssssssssster who works on Ssssssssssssssky Sssssssssportsssssssssssssss Newsssssssssss having a crushed 's' ssssssssssspeech impediment... fudge off and become a fudging mime artisssssssst instead of ramming your fat tongue up the rancid arsehole of whatever team wins this week... ****!!

Last edited:
Back