• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Controversial poll

Was Levy right sacking Redknapp?

• Yes

Votes: 77 65.3%
  • No

Votes: 41 34.7%

• Total voters
if AVB had us up there with the title challengers in January and then took us on an extended run of relegation form whilst hitching his skirt to Portugal/Real Madrid/whoever which ultimately led to us scraping 4th place with a game spare whilst also missing out on CL football because of United winning the Champions League - i would want him gone just the same as i wanted Redknapp gone - I see no genuine reason for you to think it would be different other than what i would describe as a misguided view on what other posters motivations are, if im totally honest mate

Look I'm not denying Arry behaved poorly in his final few months, I just believe that even thought many believed we had another great shot to finish above Arsenal once we finally clicked and even thought we had a sniff of getting above United that had we finished 4th and one of those teams won the CL then people would be more reflective and laidback about it, ah what can you do? We finished 4th, we were just unlucky.

At the time I was totally ****ed off that Harry's head had been turned by the England job, and as a result our results suffered.

However, having had time to think on it I really don't blame him. This was his 'dream' job. He's been a manager for 30 odd years, was in his 60s and suddenly the pinnacle of football management (for him) seemed within his grasp. Whose head wouldn't be turned in those circumstances? I know mine would, and I think anyone who denies they would is a liar.

It's interesting that when Bale decided he wanted to manoeuvre his move to Madrid so many people were saying "Ah I won't hold a grudge, it's a big move for him....moving to the biggest club in the world blah blah blah". I wonder how many of those people are the ones ****ging Redknapp off for doing the exact same thing.

Some of the insults and name calling that went on here towards Redknapp was and is awful, and it made me ashamed to be a Spurs fan after what Redknapp had brought to our team. Exciting football, into the Champions League and pundits calling us the most exciting team in the league to watch. Then those same people defend AVB, who has brought the exact opposite

With you completely. Fans are forgiving when players **** on the club, how many fans would welcome Modric, Bale and Berbs back with open arms? Most of them I bet. How many would welcome Redknapp back?

Even before his final season, the personal abuse he got on here was pathetic.

It's interesting that when Bale decided he wanted to manoeuvre his move to Madrid so many people were saying "Ah I won't hold a grudge, it's a big move for him....moving to the biggest club in the world blah blah blah". I wonder how many of those people are the ones ****ging Redknapp off for doing the exact same thing.
like i said earlier mullet - i don't think people would have begrudged him the England job had he been offered it, it's just the way everything panned out - with us baring the brunt of it all, it was totally unavoidable and all one mans doing.

Look I'm not denying Arry behaved poorly in his final few months, I just believe that even thought many believed we had another great shot to finish above Arsenal once we finally clicked and even thought we had a sniff of getting above United that had we finished 4th and one of those teams won the CL then people would be more reflective and laidback about it, ah what can you do? We finished 4th, we were just unlucky.

hmm to alter a famous quote :

losers whine about luck, winners go home and **** the prom queen :p

hmm to alter a famous quote :

losers whine about luck, winners go home and **** the prom queen :p

But that's what everyone said last season "Arsenal went on a great run we were unlucky" even though we threw away silly points against Wigan, Everton, Liverpool and Fulham.

"How's your bowling arm?"

that's fair, although there's a world of difference between the two, imv - as has been discussed before.

But they always seem to happen to us, and they are always avoidable, that's the annoying thing.

I sometimes think Harry doesn't actually want to be a football manager, during the time he was pimping his book qpr went through a terrible patch of form.

Agreed…

As for being enough '99% of the time' as was suggested, he had TWO chances to SECURE THIRD knowing FULL WELL we would likely need it. Honestly, to be handed your destiny back for those final two games after shafting it so heavily in Feb was incredible! To blow it again was even more incredible...

Parker spent the rest of the match doing his little pirouette thing by the corner flag in our own half.

I will never EVER FORGET THAT! I was SCREAMING from my seat and I NEVER scream at players, but **** me I did at that moment. It was unbelievable.

But 4th was qualification - no? Fine what happened after that beggars belief but generally fourth would have been qualification albeit via a qualification round.

With TWO games to go, it was clear two wins would give us third, knock the goons out if Chelski won it and guarantee us direct group level entry/better transfer targets.
The way we started against Villa was atrocious. remember, even AVB has hammered them three times in a row at Villa Park, and the side Harry faced was the worst of all…

Look, I hate to bang on, but here we are, thrashing it out, so I think we need to face some facts about the Golden Child aka Big Bluffer. He gave me some wonderful days, but he sold me, and our club, out repeatedly.

With TWO games to go, it was clear two wins would give us third, knock the goons out if Chelski won it and guarantee us direct group level entry/better transfer targets.
The way we started against Villa was atrocious. remember, even AVB has hammered them three times in a row at Villa Park, and the side Harry faced was the worst of all…

Look, I hate to bang on, but here we are, thrashing it out, so I think we need to face some facts about the Golden Child aka Big Bluffer. He gave me some wonderful days, but he sold me, and our club, out repeatedly.

AVB got found out. I know he missed out on preferred transfer targets, but with the raw quality of the squad, even with our bad injuries in defense, a good manager/head coach would not have had rhe season AVB would have had. He does not have the experience to motivate the squad (same at Cheat$ki) and adapt within the game. Mourinho out-thought him in the second half this season and he could not work out a way - unless it was against the detritus we faced in the group stages of the EL - to get the service Soldado needs.

Great beard though.

if AVB had us up there with the title challengers in January and then took us on an extended run of relegation form whilst hitching his skirt to Portugal/Real Madrid/whoever which ultimately led to us scraping 4th place with a game spare whilst also missing out on CL football because of United winning the Champions League - i would want him gone just the same as i wanted Redknapp gone - I see no genuine reason for you to think it would be different other than what i would describe as a misguided view on what other posters motivations are, if im totally honest mate

This exactly. People seem to be either for AVB or for Harry. Probably a contrasting view of different footballing philosophies coming together. However we can all see why Harry deserved to be sacked. I initially thought Redknapp was too small time and bent to succeed with us, glad he proved us wrong, wanted him to stay and sang for it at that Saudi Sportswashing Machine game. However when he was openly flirting with the england job, his quotes about players not caring about who was in charge, followed by his contradictions when he was negotiating a contract with us; he had to go. The results during that period were of relegation standard, and the players looked devoid of ideas( quite similar to what we looked like recently). We didn't achieve fourth place that year, we lost out on third and a guaranteed CL spot. He had to go, he had made his position untenable through his behaviour.

With regards to AVB, we had three absolutely abject results and we started off playing bad football at the start of the season. However we are yet to see the flair players really come in and change our style of play; and I believed that the intergration of Eriksen and Lamela would have helped but injuries to Eriksen robbed us of the chance. It was the logical choice to afford him more time with a full strength integrated squad. Interestingly Redknapp had absolutely dire results such as the maulings from City/Arsenal/United/ Chelsea cup that were on par with what we've had recently and Levy didn't sack him immediately. I believe with the AVB sacking it's a lot more to do with power struggles amongst the staff rather than an actual footballing decision, Sherwood sticking his nose in and all. It seems uncharacteristic of Levy to sack a manager who is within reach of his goals yet hasn't had the time to do so get things firing on all cylinders. Believe me there appears to be a lot more of this than meets the eye. Redknapp was on a downward spiral, and his short termism wasn't compatible with Levy's goals; his unprofessional behaviour towards the tail end of his tenure only compounded the problem and probably led to his sacking. Therein lies the difference between the two dismissals.

You can see why both where sacked, but it appears that AVBs sacking was a tad harsher.

That's because a higher points total means that we have done more to attempt to achieve that goal. Other clubs did more over that, but to have performed to a better level than any previous PL Spurs team is pretty impressive.

i sense you've discussed this point with someone half dead so probably best to leave it?

there are a lot of holes in what you just said here but like i said i dont think a detailed post was done with the expecation of it getting taken as a complete opinion

At the time I was totally ****ed off that Harry's head had been turned by the England job, and as a result our results suffered.

However, having had time to think on it I really don't blame him. This was his 'dream' job. He's been a manager for 30 odd years, was in his 60s and suddenly the pinnacle of football management (for him) seemed within his grasp. Whose head wouldn't be turned in those circumstances? I know mine would, and I think anyone who denies they would is a liar.

Some of the insults and name calling that went on here towards Redknapp was and is awful, and it made me ashamed to be a Spurs fan after what Redknapp had brought to our team. Exciting football, into the Champions League and pundits calling us the most exciting team in the league to watch. Then those same people defend AVB, who has brought the exact opposite.

i love this man right here

Some of the insults and name calling that went on here towards Redknapp was and is awful, and it made me ashamed to be a Spurs fan after what Redknapp had brought to our team. Exciting football, into the Champions League and pundits calling us the most exciting team in the league to watch. Then those same people defend AVB, who has brought the exact opposite.

I love you man, but you're way off-base with some of this IMO.

The insults? I absolutely agree.

But let me also make sure it's remembered how much he played us. Repeatedly. He called our fans 'stupid' and he, in turn, insulted players such as Bent and Pav with 'witticisms' that were crude and embarrassing. He also ducked and dove like the dodgiest of dodgy geezers, never ONCE holding himself accountable for the poor results. And ultimately, at the end, he tried to mug everyone off by saying WE were shafting HIM when he'd spent nearly 5 months virtually checked out of a job that (at one point) I thought only Eddie The Eagle Edwards could've ****ed up with regards to finishing 3rd.

Oh, never did care what pundits had to say about us…one final thing…there was some superb, exciting football, but let us not forget the countless games where we'd get a launcher from Daws to Crouchinio's bonce, who'd nod it into VdV's onrushing path for a pop at goal. It was effective but I doubt Cryuff, Hoddle or even Zidane would've found it attractive. Effective, yes.

Yes, he gave me some fantastic times and I am grateful for them. I was not grateful when it was apparent to me that he was ****ing off his job, first during the season we were in the CL and then 'that' season. Even then I'd have forgiven him if he'd shown some accountability. But none. Not an ounce.

Say all you like about AVB, but the man worked his ****ing ******** off trying to get it right. He put time in, real time. That he wasn't, or couldn't, or didn't, is another debate. You cannot question his engagement in the job. He worked hard. He didn't publicly complain about not getting Moutinho or Villa or Willian, he didn't use Bale's summer reversal as an excuse. He got on with it.

So yes, I will defend AVB as a man of integrity and honor. He tried and for whatever reasons, it didn't work out for him.
But Harry? Let me just say, I would not buy a used car from the man but I'd happily spend an hour in the pub listening to his cheeky-chappie-****erknee-geezah craic talk without believing a bit of it.

AVB has a degree of integrity for me. Harry? Not much...

AVB got found out. I know he missed out on preferred transfer targets, but with the raw quality of the squad, even with our bad injuries in defense, a good manager/head coach would not have had rhe season AVB would have had. He does not have the experience to motivate the squad (same at Cheat$ki) and adapt within the game. Mourinho out-thought him in the second half this season and he could not work out a way - unless it was against the detritus we faced in the group stages of the EL - to get the service Soldado needs.

Great beard though.

What's this got to do with the post to which you were replying mate? Just asking…and how was he found out? I'm not saying it's been good, and I understand that he was not going to last, but we're in a position to make some serious steps still this season...

What's this got to do with the post to which you were replying mate? Just asking…and how was he found out? I'm not saying it's been good, and I understand that he was not going to last, but we're in a position to make some serious steps still this season...

I think he was found out in more ways than the Chelsea second half. Teams knew we would pretty much only play one way and were able to mitigate that. They would target the high line for breaks - West Ham, pack the middle knowing he was trying inverted wingers - Hull. They also knew he would not change tactics and formation radically if it was needed.

I think he was found out in more ways than the Chelsea second half. Teams knew we would pretty much only play one way and were able to mitigate that. They would target the high line for breaks - West Ham, pack the middle knowing he was trying inverted wingers - Hull. They also knew he would not change tactics and formation radically if it was needed.

I agree.
He did himself no favors towards the end, indeed, as the pressure built, he retreated even more doggedly into his 'I am right' shell. He needed to be a bit more flexible in the crisis times, if only to get the train back on the tracks, and he could not do it. I think earlier in the season he did shift things around quite a lot…on Sunday, his shifts came far too late; I think everyone would've understood if he started making changes around 30-35 minutes!

i sense you've discussed this point with someone half dead so probably best to leave it?

there are a lot of holes in what you just said here but like i said i dont think a detailed post was done with the expecation of it getting taken as a complete opinion

Yeah, you're right! YTG and I have discussed this for a looong time.

2010/11

Our form in the league after we beat AC Milan at the San Siro

LDDDWDDLDL

That plus the obvious from 2011/12 makes me say yes. Everything else makes me say no but I feel that the cons really out weighed the pros in the end, the whole England fiasco was the final straw.

And we collapsed again in the 2011/12 season almost as badly.

Harry was a poor manager I'm afraid, Levy absolutely correct to sack him. What has happened with AVB doesn't vindicate Harry in any way.

Back