• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Controversial poll

Was Levy right sacking Redknapp?

• Yes

Votes: 77 65.3%
  • No

Votes: 41 34.7%

• Total voters
so down to 10 men...and redknapp removing the guy that always seemed to be playing with a pace maker and putting someone in to solidify the back is bad

so down to 10 men,..
the man sent off was a defender,...
so thats 9 outfield players...one of which is not that great defensively and cant breathe beyond 60 minutes it seemed at times, but played him on till the ending of the game
so thats 8 outfield guys able to apply some pressure, 3 defenders.......1 dm .....about 3 attack minded players and a striker

yeah , am not sure how that was too much of an error in judgement if top 4 was the aim

speaking of which...we were trying to make top 4 IMO....and he did what he had to to give us the best chance

the thing is that depending on your motivation...you are either happy he didnt get the england job so that he can carry on managing your club, like i was, or you can be ****ed ...... which means you never wanted him to succeed at your club in the first place

i know you've asked me to not engage you in conversation but i couldn't let this one slide

what about those of us that wanted him to sign a new contract in January but come the end of the season were ****ed with how the season fell apart? how does that fit in to your black and white scenario?

I don't think many would have begrudged him the England job, but the way he handled the situation and his subsequent stand off with Levy over a new contract meant his position was unattainable, for me anyway.

as an aside, who's to say that the United job coming up for grabs wouldn't have had the same draw to him as the England one should he have stayed? 'success' with Spurs will always bring about it links to bigger jobs - after experiencing what happened when one of them became available why chance it a second time?

so if chelsea hadnt won the champions league he would have reached his goal with 4th then

If we'd have won every match we'd have won the league.

The fact is, we could all see that Chelsea were still in the CL and that the only sensible thing to do was cover all bases and play for 3rd. Well, all of us but Willie McKay's best mate.

i know you've asked me to not engage you in conversation but i couldn't let this one slide

what about those of us that wanted him to sign a new contract in January but come the end of the season were ****ed with how the season fell apart? how does that fit in to your black and white scenario?

I don't think many would have begrudged him the England job, but the way he handled the situation and his subsequent stand off with Levy over a new contract meant his position was unattainable, for me anyway.

as an aside, who's to say that the United job coming up for grabs wouldn't have had the same draw to him as the England one should he have stayed? 'success' with Spurs will always bring about it links to bigger jobs - after experiencing what happened when one of them became available why chance it a second time?

I make no bones about it, I dislike redknapp however I wanted him to sign the new contract in jan.

Come the end of the season I wanted him gone.

That was from an interview with Redknapp at the start of the season (from memory though).

I remember distinctly Redknapp saying something like "We're aiming for 4th, that's what the chairman's set as our target and that's what I have to get"

I'm paraphrasing, but that was pretty much what he said. The reason I remember it is that it seemed strange at the time that 'Arry was saying 4th when Levy is always referring to CL qualification.

i'm not pointing fingers scara...i like your posts, they are honest and i appreciate those even if others dont take kindly to that.

i'm more trying to point out that you arent afraid to throw in a bit of a cheeky swipe as factual thats all (the whole bonus thing being the main point i was making about that. kind of showing harry as having crooked motives as opposed to trying to get us CL). if no one shows braineclipse then he'll probably think your mother teresa

If we'd have won every match we'd have won the league.

The fact is, we could all see that Chelsea were still in the CL and that the only sensible thing to do was cover all bases and play for 3rd. Well, all of us but Willie McKay's best mate.

you seem to have an aversion to answering that question straight up. i could say that if we finished 5th then he has failed, categorically. no grey area there

the grey area comes when you say that CL was the goal from the beginning even though top 4 was seemingly all we played for from the start of the year. i would imagine that Levy did in fact want CL more than top 4 .....sure, but for what it seemed we were playing for i would have thought the end result was a success...we made top 4 which in most instances is enough to make CL

so you're success or failure didnt depend on harry and where he finished, it was based on drogba playing that game...and mario gomez being utter cack.

I make no bones about it, I dislike redknapp however I wanted him to sign the new contract in jan.

Come the end of the season I wanted him gone.

i appreciate this comment. i sense every bit of honesty in it

three lines and top post

this is a MAN's post...as they day :) , the chauvinism is a joke btw if anyone takes offense..strong post none the less

you seem to have an aversion to answering that question straight up. i could say that if we finished 5th then he has failed, categorically. no grey area there

the grey area comes when you say that CL was the goal from the beginning even though top 4 was seemingly all we played for from the start of the year. i would imagine that Levy did in fact want CL more than top 4 .....sure, but for what it seemed we were playing for i would have thought the end result was a success...we made top 4 which in most instances is enough to make CL

so you're success or failure didnt depend on harry and where he finished, it was based on drogba playing that game...and mario gomez being utter cack.

Success and failure will never rely purely on our own matches though will it?

4th is not a target, 4th is meaningless. It's more of an achievement than 5th but it's the CL that will keep our club able to buy the kind of players we all want to see playing for Spurs.

Arry fecked up but not getting 3rd, no doubt about it. Chelsea had the luckiest run imaginable which was unbelievably cruel on us, still doesn't change the fact that we should have got 3rd despite 4th being a very good season.

However, I firmly believe had AVB finished 4th this season and another team had won the CL thereby denying us, then people would be far more understanding and forgiving, and that is taking into consideration that a large number of people both on here and in real life believed we had a deeper squad than Arsenal for example and also United.

4th is not a target, 4th is meaningless. It's more of an achievement than 5th but it's the CL that will keep our club able to buy the kind of players we all want to see playing for Spurs.

you see i think 4th was the target for redknapp...........i think the implication was that 4th was CL ..ergo levy and harry saying the same thing

having said that your first line isnt really the issue, you are not concerned about success or failure being entirely in our own control....your concern is making CL. which means that redknapp making 4th was fine...it was a good platform.

the problem at that point in time was drogba, not the fact that harry made 4th instead of 3rd

i agree with everything else you said...i actually agree with the whole thing if you apply hindsight to the first part of the second paragraph...but thinking in real time at the point of achieving 4th i wouldnt agree with that part

Funny you say that because you take more pride in us getting a higher points total and missing out on 4th than actually finishing 4th.

Arry fecked up but not getting 3rd, no doubt about it. Chelsea had the luckiest run imaginable which was unbelievably cruel on us, still doesn't change the fact that we should have got 3rd despite 4th being a very good season.

However, I firmly believe had AVB finished 4th this season and another team had won the CL thereby denying us, then people would be far more understanding and forgiving, and that is taking into consideration that a large number of people both on here and in real life believed we had a deeper squad than Arsenal for example and also United.

agreed

Depends. If Portugal sacked their manager and AVB was installed as the odds-on favourite, and if AVB spent the next three months acting like he was already the Portugal boss and ignoring our own sliding performances in the process.....then I'd suggest that AVB wouldn't have been given much sympathy either.

Funny you say that because you take more pride in us getting a higher points total and missing out on 4th than actually finishing 4th.

That's because a higher points total means that we have done more to attempt to achieve that goal. Other clubs did more over that, but to have performed to a better level than any previous PL Spurs team is pretty impressive.

In recent times Harry was the best manager we have ever had...easily in the premiership era........

some wonderful memories.....also some painful ones.

you couldnt make the whole England Fiasco/Chelsea Bayern thing up its just one of those things........but in the interest of us all not losing our marbles and reflecting on sad memories....I think we should accept that arry is a person who creates polar opinions.....the man had us playing some of the best football I have ever seen and in some quarters he gets a rough deal.....but we need to try and consign it to History....Harry wont come back and even if he did its not like he has long left until retirement.....

Its part of our history........we can but hope for an even better future with a manager that isnt harry.

That's because a higher points total means that we have done more to attempt to achieve that goal. Other clubs did more over that, but to have performed to a better level than any previous PL Spurs team is pretty impressive.

But the league position is lower so only by your definition is it better than any other team in history. The fact is we didn't do enough, just like the season before. Different circumstances granted, but we failed to achieve our target.

Last edited:

if AVB had us up there with the title challengers in January and then took us on an extended run of relegation form whilst hitching his skirt to Portugal/Real Madrid/whoever which ultimately led to us scraping 4th place with a game spare whilst also missing out on CL football because of United winning the Champions League - i would want him gone just the same as i wanted Redknapp gone - I see no genuine reason for you to think it would be different other than what i would describe as a misguided view on what other posters motivations are, if im totally honest mate

Depends. If Portugal sacked their manager and AVB was installed as the odds-on favourite, and if AVB spent the next three months acting like he was already the Portugal boss and ignoring our own sliding performances in the process.....then I'd suggest that AVB wouldn't have been given much sympathy either.

All of that is true but you know what I was getting, a lot of posters are far more patient and easily pleased than they were under HR.

At the time I was totally ****ed off that Harry's head had been turned by the England job, and as a result our results suffered.

However, having had time to think on it I really don't blame him. This was his 'dream' job. He's been a manager for 30 odd years, was in his 60s and suddenly the pinnacle of football management (for him) seemed within his grasp. Whose head wouldn't be turned in those circumstances? I know mine would, and I think anyone who denies they would is a liar.

It's interesting that when Bale decided he wanted to manoeuvre his move to Madrid so many people were saying "Ah I won't hold a grudge, it's a big move for him....moving to the biggest club in the world blah blah blah". I wonder how many of those people are the ones ****ging Redknapp off for doing the exact same thing.

Some of the insults and name calling that went on here towards Redknapp was and is awful, and it made me ashamed to be a Spurs fan after what Redknapp had brought to our team. Exciting football, into the Champions League and pundits calling us the most exciting team in the league to watch. Then those same people defend AVB, who has brought the exact opposite.

Back