• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Controversial poll

Was Levy right sacking Redknapp?

• Yes

Votes: 77 65.3%
  • No

Votes: 41 34.7%

• Total voters
another one for braineclipse to chew on.

so Harry succeeded with his targets then. he looked to make 4th as opposed to risk it all and leaving us empty handed

i dont mind 4th as it happens, not then and not now, AV\B couldnt manage it in the short time given...and no one else could...just one guy has done that...and did it in style.

i actually give levy credit more so than you to be honest..i think top 4 was the goal but indirectly asking for CL...but top 4 was acceptable IMO, all things remaining equal

I think we're getting pretty close to agreeing.

Problem is, I think Redknapp would have known that when everyone at Spurs claims to be after 4th what they mean is CL qualification. That's where the money, the players and the sponsors are.

So whilst Redknapp was going for his contracted 4th, I don't believe for a second that 4th without CL qualification was Levy's aim.

Sorry if I'm not picking up on the sarcasm on the last sentence, but that's my point.

I think Levy screwed up in setting Redknapp's official target as 4th. What Levy wanted was CL qualification but (based on what Redknapp said at the start of the season) I think his bonuses were based on 4th.

An easy mistake to make, but one that had the benefit of showing us all where Redknapp's priorities lie.

I cannot wrap my head around some of the bizarre comments in this thread which are seeking to distance the relationship between top 4 and CL, or between 4th equaling CL playoff at the least. When a manager is given the remit of reaching the top 4, it is automatically so that said-remit involves minimal CL playoff qualification. 'That' season was very, very bizarre…but what's even MORE bizarre is how the Villa game is being remembered by some. Let me go on record as saying that for a fan-base who wants us to go for the jugular from the kick-off, and given that two wins in those last two games would've given us 3rd, our approach in the first-half against a shocking Villa side who were there for the taking was turgid and stodgy. No thrust. No attacking verve. indeed, we strolled around for 30-odd minutes!!! It should never have come to a frantic final 5 minutes. Sorry, too much waffling on here for me, Harry ****ed it once by taking his eye off the ball, and when he was handed back our own destiny with just TWO GAMES LEFT TO WIN against painfully mediocre sides, he ****ed it again. No excuses, no '4th was the target', no 'well if it hadn't been for the freak year' etc, no. He blew it twice. It would be so much easier if people would just accept that. As much happiness as some of his reign brought, and as well as he did, he also ****ed a fair few things up without argument.

I will add that I don't think he 'settled' for 4th, I genuinely believe he did not know how to win the game and what to do to get the job done. I actually don't think he's clever enough to 'play' for 4th and 'preserve' that place for his bonus. I just don't think he was good enough to get it done.

Sorry Scara, sing your post as a launching pad for general comment.

I cannot wrap my head around some of the bizarre comments in this thread which are seeking to distance the relationship between top 4 and CL, or between 4th equaling CL playoff at the least. When a manager is given the remit of reaching the top 4, it is automatically so that said-remit involves minimal CL playoff qualification. 'That' season was very, very bizarre…but what's even MORE bizarre is how the Villa game is being remembered by some. Let me go on record as saying that for a fan-base who wants us to go for the jugular from the kick-off, and given that two wins in those last two games would've given us 3rd, our approach in the first-half against a shocking Villa side who were there for the taking was turgid and stodgy. No thrust. No attacking verve. indeed, we strolled around for 30-odd minutes!!! It should never have come to a frantic final 5 minutes. Sorry, too much waffling on here for me, Harry ****ed it once by taking his eye off the ball, and when he was handed back our own destiny with just TWO GAMES LEFT TO WIN against painfully mediocre sides, he ****ed it again. No excuses, no '4th was the target', no 'well if it hadn't been for the freak year' etc, no. He blew it twice. It would be so much easier if people would just accept that. As much happiness as some of his reign brought, and as well as he did, he also ****ed a fair few things up without argument.

Sorry Scara, sing your post as a launching pad for general comment.

I accept it. I find it strange how people try to make sense of the Parker sub, no sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and admit when the manager made a colossal **** up, even if you believe he was the best manager we've had in 20 years like I do.

I accept it. I find it strange how people try to make sense of the Parker sub, no sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and admit when the manager made a colossal **** up, even if you believe he was the best manager we've had in 20 years like I do.

A fair comment. One of the bright spots this season has been how people such as you and I, who previously couldn't agree that the sun rises in the east, have been able (through passionate but reasonable conversation) to recognize each other's views and opinions on subjects we don't necessarily agree on. This thread has been a fine example, where we've all been able to spend residual frustrations without rancor. I have enjoyed these greatly. Long may it continue.

I think we're getting pretty close to agreeing.

Problem is, I think Redknapp would have known that when everyone at Spurs claims to be after 4th what they mean is CL qualification. That's where the money, the players and the sponsors are.

So whilst Redknapp was going for his contracted 4th, I don't believe for a second that 4th without CL qualification was Levy's aim.

sorry scara, i'd love to continue this with you but its extremely difficult what with people i have respectfully asked to respect my boundaries not being able to do so. I'm getting a tad irate LOL

i'll be bowing out of the discussion

but yes we are close on agreeing a few points i do admit

cheers for the convo

Last edited:
Back