• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Champions League 2016/17 - Group E: CSKA Moscow, Bayer Leverkusen, Monaco

Europa places will not go down to 8th in any case this season.
That's correct. 8th place can never qualify for Europe through their league position (despite what Sky Sports say) - only by winning a cup.
If Liverpool win the Europa League and take a CL place having not already qualified for the competition (as is mathematically impossible already) then England would have 5 entrants in the CL and lose a place in the Europa league.
That is also correct BUT only if Liverpool finish high enough in the league that they would otherwise have had a place in the Europa League. Effectively Liverpool would swap their EL place for a CL place. On the other hand, if Liverpool don't finish in an EL qualifying position but do win this year's EL, then England would get an extra European place - 5 in the CL and the normal 3 in the EL. (BTW Liverpool could theoretically still reach 4th place).
Really?

I didnt think it would affect our EL quota, still thought we got 3 places regardless
Depends on whether Liverpool finish in an EL qualifying place. But either way, the lowest place that can possibly qualify for Europe through their league position is 7th.

Cheers for all that.

Seemed to remember Sky saying a few weeks back that even 8th place could get in Europe. Does not surprise me that were wrong

If Liverpool win the EL would that affect us in terms of the CL draw? That is, would be go from being in pot 3 to being in pot 4?

If Liverpool win the EL would that affect us in terms of the CL draw? That is, would be go from being in pot 3 to being in pot 4?
No, having missed out on European competition for 2 years in the last 5 Liverpool are ranked well below us. We are ranked 23rd so even if all the teams ranked above us were in the CL draw, which they won't be, we couldn't be lower than Pot 3 *. If Liverpool win it would affect us financially because it would reduce our share of the UEFA 'market pool' funds allocated to England for CL teams.

Sevilla are ranked above us and if they win the EL that would make it less likely that we could move up to Pot 2. But we will probably be in Pot 3 regardless and IMO it's a small price to pay for Liverpool not winning it.

* - Edit: that's not really correct because teams ranked lower than us (like Leicester) will take some of the places in Pot 1, but don't worry about it - we won't be in Pot 4.

Last edited:
It is really strange that our qualification to the CL has been largely overshadowed by our league title race. Our main target at the start of the season was a top 4 finish to qualify to the CL. But somehow we end up in the title race, making us forget about the CL qualification. We failed in the title race but ended up qualifying for the CL in the process. Remember, this is only the second time that we have qualified to the CL in our history. We should be celebrating it wildly like we did in 2010. But somehow, the failure in the league prevents us from doing so. Really wish we had celebrated the CL qualification at the end of the Chelsea match just to tinkle them off !

It is really strange that our qualification to the CL has been largely overshadowed by our league title race. Our main target at the start of the season was a top 4 finish to qualify to the CL. But somehow we end up in the title race, making us forget about the CL qualification. We failed in the title race but ended up qualifying for the CL in the process. Remember, this is only the second time that we have qualified to the CL in our history. We should be celebrating it wildly like we did in 2010. But somehow, the failure in the league prevents us from doing so. Really wish we had celebrated the CL qualification at the end of the Chelsea match just to tinkle them off !

Exactly.

Hopefully, we all get the chance to have a reet' good celebration tomorrow. A defeat, or even a draw, may take some shine off the celebrations at 3.30pm tomorrow as we would then be having one eye on the telly/5Live.
Lets just get the win, even 1-0 will do, and have a CL party. No naming it St Ars#holes Day etc; leave guff like that to the other lot, I want to see 33,000 people staying and hopefully celebrating the best league finish in MOST of our lifetimes

...might be worth a cheeky punt...I never bet on football, but I think
I will this summer.

a la leicester, I will be betting on tottenham to win the champions league, odds won't be out till after this year's final, i think we'll be around 50-1, not quite 5000's of course.....

a la leicester, I will be betting on tottenham to win the champions league, odds won't be out till after this year's final, i think we'll be around 50-1, not quite 5000's of course.....

can get leicester to win cl at 66/1 with ladbrokes. Can't find spurs.

Sky Bet: Champions League winner 16/17
Barcelona 4/1
Bayern Munich 5/1
Real Madrid 11/2
Atletico Madrid 8/1
PSG 12/1
Juventus 14/1
Borussia Dortmund 14/1
Tottenham 33/1
Napoli 33/1
Benfica 50/1
Leicester 50/1
Villarreal 50/1
Bayer Leverkusen 50/1
Roma 50/1
Porto 66/1
Sporting Lisbon 80/1
Dynamo Kiev 100/1
Basel 150/1
https://www.skybet.com/football/champions-league

Sky Bet: Champions League winner 16/17
Barcelona 4/1
Bayern Munich 5/1
Real Madrid 11/2
Atletico Madrid 8/1
PSG 12/1
Juventus 14/1
Borussia Dortmund 14/1
Tottenham 33/1
Napoli 33/1
Benfica 50/1
Leicester 50/1
Villarreal 50/1
Bayer Leverkusen 50/1
Roma 50/1
Porto 66/1
Sporting Lisbon 80/1
Dynamo Kiev 100/1
Basel 150/1
https://www.skybet.com/football/champions-league
I can only assume those odds are a result of people thinking that having a punt on Leicester might work again.

There's no way they're more likely to win than Porto - or any other team for that matter. If we're at 33 then they should realistically be somewhere around 100.

Coral: Champions League winner 16/17
Coral.JPG
Tottenham 66/1, Leicester 100/1 .... Liverpool 50/1 ??
Fiorentina (who cannot qualify) 200/1 !?

Exactly.

Hopefully, we all get the chance to have a reet' good celebration tomorrow. A defeat, or even a draw, may take some shine off the celebrations at 3.30pm tomorrow as we would then be having one eye on the telly/5Live.
Lets just get the win, even 1-0 will do, and have a CL party. No naming it St Ars#holes Day etc; leave guff like that to the other lot, I want to see 33,000 people staying and hopefully celebrating the best league finish in MOST of our lifetimes

We've dropped a fair amount of points from winning positions, though. Especially over the last couple of months. I'd rather get a two-goal lead so things don't get nervy, if we can manage it.

Funny mate, I had said the same and will do the same...Vegas it is!

We've dropped a fair amount of points from winning positions, though. Especially over the last couple of months. I'd rather get a two-goal lead so things don't get nervy, if we can manage it.

Oh dont get me wrong, for me it has to be a goal lead before I relax. Even at Stoke at 2-0 I wasnt relaxed until we bagged the 3rd, and v Chelsea at HT, the missus asked why I still looked pensive even though it was 2-0. I just had that feeling.
What I was suggesting was that today, although it would be amazing to finish in style if we could, it is all about the result, just getting the win whether it be 1-0 or 3-0

Back