• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Champions League 2016/17 - Group E: CSKA Moscow, Bayer Leverkusen, Monaco

The final is good news for us, as means one of Real Madrid or Atletico Madrid will move to pot 1 as winners.

So based on Jordinho's predictions, we can only draw Dortmund, Porto, Napoli, Leverkusen (or whoever loses the final)

Considering Pot 2 is the team we need to beat to qualify, that's not too shabby - then hopefully a glamour tie from pot 1.

could end up with Barca in pot 2 though if the Madrid clubs share la liga and CL right?

The final is good news for us, as means one of Real Madrid or Atletico Madrid will move to pot 1 as winners.

So based on Jordinho's predictions, we can only draw Dortmund, Porto, Napoli, Leverkusen (or whoever loses the final)

Considering Pot 2 is the team we need to beat to qualify, that's not too shabby - then hopefully a glamour tie from pot 1.

If one of them win the league as well Dynamo Kiev will be added to pot 1. We should be able to mix it with the likes of CSKA, Dinamo, Benfica.

could end up with Barca in pot 2 though if the Madrid clubs share la liga and CL right?

Good question. Is there a limit on how many clubs from the same country can be in Pot 1?

If not, then Barca's coefficient must be enough so all three would be top seeds.

Good question. Is there a limit on how many clubs from the same country can be in Pot 1?

If not, then Barca's coefficient must be enough so all three would be top seeds.

Yes, it's the CL winner and the champions from the 7 highest ranked leagues (Spain, England, Germany, Italy, France, Portugal and Russia). Should the CL winner happen to be the winner of one of those leagues the champions of the 8th best league (Ukraine) will be added.

Am I really the only one fretting that our CL qualification curse could strike once again because I fear the FA will dock enough points off us for our part in the ructions on Monday night?

Please tell me there's no way they can do that.

There is a simple reason why you prioritise the CL and not the Europa League and why it benefits you. Money. And why is that money important? Because it allows you to attract better squad players so that you can rotate the team and challenge on more fronts.

The Premier League is the fastest, most intense league in the world (I didn't say best). You cannot play the same first XI every game and expect to compete on multiple fronts, you just can't. Poch decided to prioritise the league and we've had our best league finish in ages, but we just don't have the players to compete in the cups as well (right now). Think of the great double or treble winning teams of the past, did they ever have the likes of Mason, Carroll and Chadli making so many appearances over the course of the season? Let alone the Fazios and Townsends who were around at the start of the year. But we can't attract better players to sit on our bench paying a pittance of a wage, whereas the Chelseas, Man Citys and Man Utds of this world have been able to do that over the years. I'd love to be in a position where we can bring Lamela off the bench, let alone Eriksen, Dembele or Alli.

Oh - and to those who asked what all those years of CL football has got for Arsenal? The ability to sign players like Ozil, Sanchez and Cech, that's what. The fact that their manager has chosen to ignore glaring deficiencies in the rest of the squad and put so much faith in players who are clearly nowhere near good enough is another matter, but there is no way a club without their budgets and track records of finishing in the top four would have had a hope of getting them. Even when Liverpool, a traditionally big club who had qualified for the Champions League by playing amazing football went for Sanchez he wasn't the least bit interested. Superstar signings. You don't get well known world class players in their early to mid 20s joining clubs who aren't in the Champions League. Who was our biggest name signing of the last 20 years? Rafael Van Der Vaart. Who signed for us.....that's right....the year we'd qualified for the Champions League.

Am really looking forward to seeing who we can tempt now. It would really really really help if Liverpool lose the Europa League final.

Am I really the only one fretting that our CL qualification curse could strike once again because I fear the FA will dock enough points off us for our part in the ructions on Monday night?

Many of said it wont/cant happen. I am still not 100% sure, as this is Tottenham we are talking about. One thing for sure is we will know before the end of the season.

It's another reason why we have to win Sunday. If, and a big if, it happened, probably be 6pts maximum. Win the last 2 matches to finish on 76pts, 70pts with the deduction would still guarantee us 3rd

There is a way but the legal ramifications would bankrupt the FA, cause the Court for Arbitration to go in to meltdown and result in the Champion's League not taking place until resolved. So yes there is a way, will it happen NO.

there is no precedent for such a censure and therefore I'd say it's an impossibility

normally

but, as we all know, the FA has a storied history of fudging us over nefariously, it would not surprise me, especially if the goons drop to fifth

For now getting CL is more important than any of the cups. Only CL will help us attract the quality of players to consistently challenge for trophies.
It's a road we need to travel.
This is only true if two clubs are offering the same wage, but one has CL. Otherwise money talks. We still won't be able to compete with Man. U and Chelsea for a player.

This is only true if two clubs are offering the same wage, but one has CL. Otherwise money talks. We still won't be able to compete with Man. U and Chelsea for a player.

not a younger one thinking ahead, but maybe an older campaigner after one more battle

I dont think we can coo over getting Porto, Napoli or Dortmund etc in the group stages, they are all good teams. Don't forget we lost 5-1 to one of them a few weeks back and didn't look the least bit threatening.

What happens if Liverpool win the Europa, does that give us 5 teams in it?

I dont think we can coo over getting Porto, Napoli or Dortmund etc in the group stages, they are all good teams. Don't forget we lost 5-1 to one of them a few weeks back and didn't look the least bit threatening.

I beleive they also rename the city to Kloppland

It's not quite as simple as that. It's not like all clubs can offer a player a certain wage and whatever that number is for each club is that player's priority list and that decides who gets the player.

Us with CL and offering a bit more money might be enough to tempt a player to sign for us instead of waiting on bigger clubs making a decision. Because we can tell the player (and his agent) if you don't sign for us now we have to look elsewhere ourselves and might not come back with another offer a month from now.

It also puts us in a stronger position when competing with clubs on the continent. Would a player choose us over Dortmund or Atletico Madrid? Even if we offered a bit more money perhaps not, but with CL and a title challenge just behind us just perhaps we could tempt a player to come to us over them?

Most certainly. if we get a group with one top level pot A team and one of those we'll have a real challenge no our hand for sure. As will they ;)

there is no precedent for such a censure and therefore I'd say it's an impossibility

normally

but, as we all know, the FA has a storied history of fudgeing us over nefariously, it would not surprise me, especially if the goons drop to fifth

Unofortunately, that is almost near impossible, their last match is Villa at home to give them min 70pts, then uncatchable by either United or West Ham

It does indeed with Europa places down to 8th if United win the FA Cup

There is a way but the legal ramifications would bankrupt the FA, cause the Court for Arbitration to go in to meltdown and result in the Champion's League not taking place until resolved. So yes there is a way, will it happen NO.

normally

but, as we all know, the FA has a storied history of fudgeing us over nefariously, it would not surprise me, especially if the goons drop to fifth

Surely the only precedent is when teams have had 4 players sent-off which caused the abandonment of the match. In those cases the fixture is awarded 3-0 to the opposition unless of course said team was leading by more than that when the game was abandoned. In which case we'd lose 1 point. However no-one was sent off from our side. Dembele would've gone, no-one else has been charged. 9 players booked constitutes a heavy fine but not a points deduction.

It does indeed with Europa places down to 8th if United win the FA Cup
Europa places will not go down to 8th in any case this season. If Liverpool win the Europa League and take a CL place having not already qualified for the competition (as is mathematically impossible already) then England would have 5 entrants in the CL and lose a place in the Europa league. In this scenario the club finishing 5th in the league and the FA Cup winners would take the two spots. If the club winning the FA Cup also finish 5th, then the 6th placed team would take the league spot.

Europa places will not go down to 8th in any case this season. If Liverpool win the Europa League and take a CL place having not already qualified for the competition (as is mathematically impossible already) then England would have 5 entrants in the CL and lose a place in the Europa league. In this scenario the club finishing 5th in the league and the FA Cup winners would take the two spots. If the club winning the FA Cup also finish 5th, then the 6th placed team would take the league spot.

Really?

I didnt think it would affect our EL quota, still thought we got 3 places regardless

Back