• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Champions League 2016/17 - Group E: CSKA Moscow, Bayer Leverkusen, Monaco

Jordinho

Ron Henry
Staff member
Thought I'd put this in its own thread.

CL seeding as it stands using the highest seeds (might not be 100% accurate):

Pot 1:
CL winner
Barcelona
Bayern
Leicester
Juventus

Benfica
PSG
CSKA Moscow

Pot 2:
Real Madrid
Atletico Madrid
Dortmund
Arsenal
Emirates Marketing Project*
Porto*
Napoli
Leverkusen

Pot 3:
Basel
Donetsk*
Tottenham
Olympiakos
Dinamo Kiev
Lyon
Villarreal*
Ajax

Pot 4:
PSV*
Anderlecht*
Viktoria Plzen*

Club Brugge
Salzburg*
Borussia Mönchengladbach*
Roma*

Besiktas

The three bold teams have already won their leagues and secured a place in pot 1.
The one with an * will have to qualify, but that can easily change over the next couple of weeks.

Other teams that could/will be involved in the qualifying rounds: Monaco, FC Rostov, Young Boys, Fenerbache, Panathinaikos, Sparta Praha, Astra Giurgiu, Steaua Bucuresti, Celtic, FC København, Rosenborg, Dinamo Zagreb, Ludogorets, Legia Warzawa, BATE Borisov, IFK Norrköping

Teams with higher coefficient that could still qualify: Zenit (2 points off a CL spot with 4 games to go, Sevilla (as EL winners), Bilbao (6 points off 4th with 2 games left), Manchester United (at the expense of Arsenal or City, so no biggie), Schalke (1 point off 4th with 2 games left)

If Sporting somehow win the Portuguese league, Benfica move into pot 2. They're currently 2 points behind with 2 games left, one of them a tricky away game to 4th placed Braga.

If the CL winner also win their domestic league, the Ukrainian champions (Dynamo Kiev) will move into pot 1.

It will take a lot for us to move up. Like Real or Atletico (without winning the league) or City winning the CL, West Ham sneaking 4th place and someone (not West Ham) losing in the qualifiers.

PSG, Leverkusen, Tottenham, Roma or Juventus, Porto, Tottenham, PSV would be great groups for us and either of those we would be looking to progress. I think the first group would give us the best chance of actually winning the group if it came to fruition.

PSG, Leverkusen, Tottenham, Roma or Juventus, Porto, Tottenham, PSV would be great groups for us and either of those we would be looking to progress. I think the first group would give us the best chance of actually winning the group if it came to fruition.
When did we ever have any sort of luck in any draw?

Sent fra min D5803 via Tapatalk

On the subject of luck in a draw, last time we were in the competition we got Inter, Twente and Werder Bremen. Twente and Bremen were pretty brick IIRC and Inter were the only team that really threatened us.

There's a lot of mediocre teams in there again. We should be aiming for 1/4 finals

There are in pots 3 and 4 however we're likely to be grouped with one very, very good team and one other team who is of a similar level us. Getting out of the group will be 50/50

Looking at the pots and , of course, getting a little luck with the draw, we should be make it to the last 16. After that it's anyone's guess what will happen.

Benfica, Leverkusen, Spurs and Anderlecht anyone?

@Jordinho - for the next iteration: Sporting Lisbon are also guaranteed Group Stage entry. As it stands, Olympiakos will have to go into the qualifying rounds. There can't be quite that many league runners-up progressing from the play-offs; some of those places will go to champions from other countries eg. Celtic, APOEL.

2 go through 2 don't, we either do or we don't, yep the odds are definitely 50/50 :)

I think you know what I mean! In our group we're likely to have a giant (Barca, Real, Bayern, PSG, Juve etc) who will almost certainly qualify, plus also hopefully a weaker team who 9 times out of 10 wouldn't qualify. I would hope that the third team (someone like Porto, Leverkusen etc) are of a somewhat similar standard to us

I'd like to draw Benfica. We owe them a little. Or maybe Sporting to pay back Jorge Jesus.

Back