• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Champions League 2016/17 - Group E: CSKA Moscow, Bayer Leverkusen, Monaco

It amazes me how they are some Spurs fans who have this belief they are too good for some tournaments/cups. Dreams of grandeur spring to mind.

If it took 15 games to get from the first game to the final then the FA Cup and League Cup wouldn't be worthy neither.

The Europa League is for clubs with nothing else to play for at the second half of the season or from leagues with summer football like Russia and Ukraine had until recently.
Look at where the last few winner finished in their leagues.

2015 - 5th La Liga
2014 - 5th La Liga
2013 - 3rd Premier League
2012 - 5th La Liga
2011 - 1st Primeira Liga (Portugal)
2010 - 9th La Liga
2009 - 2nd Ukrainan Premier League
2008 - 5th Russian Premier League
2007 - 3rd La Liga
2006 - 5th La Liga

If we had won this year we would be the winner with a highest league finish in GHod knows.

If it took 15 games to get from the first game to the final then the FA Cup and League Cup wouldn't be worthy neither.

The Europa League is for clubs with nothing else to play for at the second half of the season or from leagues with summer football like Russia and Ukraine had until recently.
Look at where the last few winner finished in their leagues.

2015 - 5th La Liga
2014 - 5th La Liga
2013 - 3rd Premier League
2012 - 5th La Liga
2011 - 1st Primeira Liga (Portugal)
2010 - 9th La Liga
2009 - 2nd Ukrainan Premier League
2008 - 5th Russian Premier League
2007 - 3rd La Liga
2006 - 5th La Liga

If we had won this year we would be the winner with a highest league finish in GHod knows.

Been through this debate many times and we ( you and me) disagree over this, without going through all the myths again ( been there done that) how many games do you have to play to win the CL if you have too qualify?

And this link below is interesting for those with a open mind.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35146716

Been through this debate many times and we ( you and me) disagree over this, without going through all the myths again ( been there done that) how many games do you have to play to win the CL if you have too qualify?

Why would the effects of a longer season spread themselves evenly across the PL matches following European ones?

I don't think it's that we didn't want to win the Europa League. It's just that we didn't really have the resources to fight it out properly on multiple fronts.

To win the Europa League you have to concentrate resources on that competition at a stage of the season when the games are coming thick and fast. You also tend to have to beat 4 very good teams over 2 legs and then another very good team in a one off game. If you are not in a fight for a CL finish then it is worth putting your eggs into that particular basket and go all out to win the competition (although the odds of doing this remain slim).

The difference between the Europa and the CL is the money involved. Every win and indeed every point gained in the CL is worth serious money. Just appearing in the group stages of the CL is worth more financially than reaching the final of the Europa League and probably even worth more than winning the thing! That is in prize and TV money alone and before considering the extra sponsorship revenue and marketability of the club.

It made absolute sense this season to prioritise our Premier League campaign. Reaching the CL ensures the club's budget increases. The club's budget increasing allows us to strengthen the squad. Strengthening the squad allows us to have a better chance of winning future competitions. It may well be that next year we have the depth of squad to have a proper go at winning the FA Cup while still going all guns blazing in the Premiership. Or perhaps we can even have a go at winning the Europa League (if we were to play in the CL group stages and finish 3rd). This season wasn't the right time to put all of our eggs in that basket however.

I don't think it's that we didn't want to win the Europa League. It's just that we didn't really have the resources to fight it out properly on multiple fronts.

To win the Europa League you have to concentrate resources on that competition at a stage of the season when the games are coming thick and fast. You also tend to have to beat 4 very good teams over 2 legs and then another very good team in a one off game. If you are not in a fight for a CL finish then it is worth putting your eggs into that particular basket and go all out to win the competition (although the odds of doing this remain slim).

The difference between the Europa and the CL is the money involved. Every win and indeed every point gained in the CL is worth serious money. Just appearing in the group stages of the CL is worth more financially than reaching the final of the Europa League and probably even worth more than winning the thing! That is in prize and TV money alone and before considering the extra sponsorship revenue and marketability of the club.

It made absolute sense this season to prioritise our Premier League campaign.
Reaching the CL ensures the club's budget increases. The club's budget increasing allows us to strengthen the squad. Strengthening the squad allows us to have a better chance of winning future competitions. It may well be that next year we have the depth of squad to have a proper go at winning the FA Cup while still going all guns blazing in the Premiership. Or perhaps we can even have a go at winning the Europa League (if we were to play in the CL group stages and finish 3rd). This season wasn't the right time to put all of our eggs in that basket however.

I know plenty will not agree.

For me. whoever made the decision, it has been vindicated in my eyes. Finish 2nd, and our highest league position for 50+ and without doubt it will have been.

Once the moneymen invaded the PL league I didnt think I would see us challenge for the title in the foreseeable future. I really believe had we progressed in the EL we would not have seen the 3-0 v United and 4-0 v Stoke which were monumental results in our run-in and look like they could have been the vital wins in our bid for 2nd spot

I know plenty will not agree.

For me. whoever made the decision, it has been vindicated in my eyes. Finish 2nd, and our highest league position for 50+ and without doubt it will have been.

Once the moneymen invaded the PL league I didnt think I would see us challenge for the title in the foreseeable future. I really believe had we progressed in the EL we would not have seen the 3-0 v United and 4-0 v Stoke which were monumental results in our run-in and look like they could have been the vital wins in our bid for 2nd spot

agreed, afaic, finishing top 3 is the same as winning the EL

agreed, afaic, finishing top 3 is the same as winning the EL

Can not agree with that, winning is all about winning things and puting trophys in the cabinet. Unfortuately in todays game so many think finishing among the runners up (top four) is what its all about.

Funny how most of us used to take the tinkle out of the Arse for getting top four but never actually winning anything for so many years. We are in the CL next season and it will be interesting to see what we do, will we lose out on challenging for the Prem by concentrating on the CL or will we give up on the CL to try and win the Prem. The reason I ask because according to some fans we can not do both ( what with all the extra games and the traveling.

I accept that my views are in the minority and it has nothing to do with the myths that surround playing in the EL.

It made absolute sense this season to prioritise our Premier League campaign. Reaching the CL ensures the club's budget increases. The club's budget increasing allows us to strengthen the squad. Strengthening the squad allows us to have a better chance of winning future competitions. It may well be that next year we have the depth of squad to have a proper go at winning the FA Cup while still going all guns blazing in the Premiership. Or perhaps we can even have a go at winning the Europa League (if we were to play in the CL group stages and finish 3rd). This season wasn't the right time to put all of our eggs in that basket however.

That part of your post is spot on ( ist )bolded bit the second bolded bit is the Arse were for years doing just that and until recently what did they win, wow how we used to take the tinkle out of them for making the top four and never winning a trophy.

Can not agree with that, winning is all about winning things and puting trophys in the cabinet. Unfortuately in todays game so many think finishing among the runners up (top four) is what its all about.

Funny how most of us used to take the tinkle out of the Arse for getting top four but never actually winning anything for so many years. We are in the CL next season and it will be interesting to see what we do, will we lose out on challenging for the Prem by concentrating on the CL or will we give up on the CL to try and win the Prem. The reason I ask because according to some fans we can not do both ( what with all the extra games and the traveling.

I accept that my views are in the minority and it has nothing to do with the myths that surround playing in the EL.

I think you are in the majority there actually

I'm all about the CL

I've actually defended wengers logic there in the past, not as much as @Neymar obviously

I think you are in the majority there actually

I'm all about the CL

I've actually defended wengers logic there in the past, not as much as @Neymar obviously

Most of the guys I travel with want to see us win things over finishing among the runners up, but I think most fans ' (especially those on forums) see being in the top four is more important so I am not sure you are right. I think traveling fans ( especially those who go abroad) would like us to win the EL ( or any trophy) I guess its different for a lot of those who do not travel.

Most of the guys I travel with want to see us win things over finishing among the runners up, but I think most fans ' (especially those on forums) see being in the top four is more important so I am not sure you are right. I think traveling fans ( especially those who go abroad) would like us to win the EL ( or any trophy) I guess its different for a lot of those who do not travel.

I travel when we go somewhere worth going ;-)

I'm in the win a trophy camp (the PL in particular but I'm not that fussy) but I do see the merit of finishing in the CL spots too. If qualifying for the CL is the main goal of the club (a la Arsenal) then it becomes kind of pointless, but using the prestige and finances associated with a CL campaign to attract a better player or boost the clubs coffers then it is not without its benefits. I'd still prefer to win something though.

Last edited:
We are getting Bayern, Real/Atletico and Roma in our group. Guaranteed.

And I am f*cking salivating at the prospect. :) Fearlessly roaring forward against the very best teams, in the big league, under the floodlights, blazing at, tormenting and harrying the elite of Europe like a pack of Arctic wolves scenting blood....

..it's what we were made for, to be honest. And white is a more regal colour than most. ;) This will be Poch's first time managing in the CL as well, so it'll be good to see him test his mettle there (although with Conte, Guardiola, Benitez, Klopp, and possibly Moutinho all cluttering up the league next season, he'll probably be put the wringer domestically more than he will abroad :) ).

I'm in the win a trophy camp (the PL in particular but I'm not that fussy) but I do see the merit of finishing in the CL spots too. If qualifying for the CL is the main goal of the club (a la Arsenal) then it becomes kind of pointless, but using the prestige and finances associated with a CL campaign to attract a better player or boost the clubs coffers then it is not without its benefits. I'd still prefer to win something though.

I agree that getting into the CL is important but for me not to the detriment of everything else ( ie giving up the chasing of trophys), how long will it take us to be able to win the CL, lets be honest both the Arse and Chelski have thrown millions at it and apart from Chelski fluking it once the its not happened.

And those who think we should not bother or cope with the EL because of all the extra games we would have to play, well I have asked the question how many games will it take to win the CL if you have to qualify? it really is not that much difference. If we can not cope with that many games what happens next year for us, do we risk blowing the chance of a run at the Prem title by concentrating on the CL or do we blow our games in the CL and go for the Prem. Because according to some we can not do both.

Back