• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Aaron Lennon

Its hardly "new". Lennon has under achieved for years and has been criticised by many for years.
didn't poch help develop Rickie Lambert into an England centre forward? And then into a striker who moved to a top 4 club?
not saying he will do the same for Lennon but surely he has more raw materials to work with.

Lennon just reeks of the mediocrity that we have been happy to put with season after season. For every brief flirtation with a VDV, Modric and Berbatov we have had a Lennon, Jenas and Dawson who stay nearly 10 years and under achieve. Lennon stopped improving years and years ago. He has shown no interest in either adapting his game or improving on his weaknesses, simply because he has enjoyef a "free pass" here for years in the comfort zone.

He has been here almost 10 years. 10 bloody years ! How on earth can a professional footballer who plays in an attacking position not teach himself to even strike the ball properly, over 10 whole years. How ?

Never known how fans can just level this at a player. Is it not possible there are other reasons if he has stagnated or regressed? Change of management? Change of what is asked of him? Injuries? He's always shown a good attitude as far as I can see, works very hard for the team but if there is a lack of quality at times it doesn't always come down to him not showing an interest or enjoying a free pass. I think that's an unfair criticism of him.

I still like Lennon.
I see, however, he has become the new 'hate bait'...strange...

I think hate is a bit strong. I defended him for years Steff, to both Spurs and non Spurs fans. But I honestly don't think he's shown any significant improvement since 2006. He still can't generate any power on his shots, his crossing is too inconsistent and just isn't involved in enough goals in terms of scoring, assisting or creating chances. He's been first choice without fail regardless of form for most of his time at Spurs, it really shouldn't be the case any more.

I think hate is a bit strong. I defended him for years Steff, to both Spurs and non Spurs fans. But I honestly don't think he's shown any significant improvement since 2006. He still can't generate any power on his shots, his crossing is too inconsistent and just isn't involved in enough goals in terms of scoring, assisting or creating chances. He's been first choice without fail regardless of form for most of his time at Spurs, it really shouldn't be the case any more.

His issue with crossing in a myth, Lennon actually puts in decent crosses and has a nice mix (regular cross, pull back, floated to back post), almost never does a Row Z cross.

Two of Lennon's biggest issues for me come with how the team is set up, one is we need to get the ball to him early (that allows him to isolate the FB), second is it doesn't matter what kind of cross he (or anyone) puts in, if no one is in the box (or if more than one person is not in the box), see last game when Lamela got the ball and Ade was behind him.

His issue with crossing in a myth, Lennon actually puts in decent crosses and has a nice mix (regular cross, pull back, floated to back post), almost never does a Row Z cross.

Two of Lennon's biggest issues for me come with how the team is set up, one is we need to get the ball to him early (that allows him to isolate the FB), second is it doesn't matter what kind of cross he (or anyone) puts in, if no one is in the box (or if more than one person is not in the box), see last game when Lamela got the ball and Ade was behind him.

Ok you've convinced me :lol:

So basically it's the team's/manager's fault? Do you not see his lack of goals as a problem considering we only play 1 striker and a lot is asked of the 3 attacking midfielders?

Do you think he's improved season on season then?

Is that more to do with the lack of competition for his position? I still think that the 'other side' of his game - work-rate, tackling back, runs that drag defenders away - means more to coaches than it does to mist fans. The real shame is that if he could have developed into a 10 goal a season/10 assist a season player we'd all be much happier.

Is that more to do with the lack of competition for his position? I still think that the 'other side' of his game - work-rate, tackling back, runs that drag defenders away - means more to coaches than it does to mist fans. The real shame is that if he could have developed into a 10 goal a season/10 assist a season player we'd all be much happier.

I'm not saying he doesn't have good attributes, but when an attacking player's best asset is his defensive tracking back then to me that's a problem. I just don't see how we can continue to carry his lack of goals when there's other players who can contribute more in this regard and in other areas.

The problem is we are feared by most clubs and they do not give us the amount of space we used to have before we established ourselves as one of the top teams in the league. The game is changing and becoming more tactical and players in the mould of Lennon are suffering because of it. The likes of Sterling are having joy because they have more to their game than just running and cutting the ball back. We play counter attacking football rather than possession based football and i think Lennon will reach his best again, but, that is not going to happen.

Ok you've convinced me :lol:

So basically it's the team's/manager's fault? Do you not see his lack of goals as a problem considering we only play 1 striker and a lot is asked of the 3 attacking midfielders?

Do you think he's improved season on season then?

Fundamentally we don't get enough player into the box, that is a team/manager issue. Look at the Pool game, Ade plays like Robbie Keane (i.e. thinks he's a midfielder), Lamela is being the "assist" maker and who is in the box? That's why Paulinho scored goals last season and still has a chance to make himself first choice, because he gets into the box and makes himself an option.

Re Lennon himself, no he has not improved beyond that Bale season where he was a part of Bale's success, helped create another outlet, could switch flanks, etc. His lack of goals partially comes from the fact that most games he does stay wide and out.

What he needs to do is attack the far post when our play comes from the opposite side, and yes he does need to contribute more, but he's not the disaster player that's been **** for years that people like to make out.

I'm not saying he doesn't have good attributes, but when an attacking player's best asset is his defensive tracking back then to me that's a problem. I just don't see how we can continue to carry his lack of goals when there's other players who can contribute more in this regard and in other areas.

Agreed. If we can somehow wipe our memories of him in his early days - diminutive flier Aaron Lennon - do you think he would be a decent squad player as a midfielder who can occasionally make an over-lapping cross and from time to time find one of our players with it?

Also, who would you replace him with in the current squad?

The problem is we are feared by most clubs and they do not give us the amount of space we used to have before we established ourselves as one of the top teams in the league. The game is changing and becoming more tactical and players in the mould of Lennon are suffering because of it. The likes of Sterling are having joy because they have more to their game than just running and cutting the ball back. We play counter attacking football rather than possession based football and i think Lennon will reach his best again, but, that is not going to happen.

Pool's style suits him (yes he has goals in his game), but people need to watch BR's style closely, it's an upgraded long ball game to wide runners, i.e. press the opposition, get the ball back, have Gerrard hit a Dawson style diagonal hoof (with more accuracy) to a runner (Sterling/Sturridge/Henderson) exploit the space quickly, not much subtlety to that game, teams will figure it out.

Agreed. If we can somehow wipe our memories of him in his early days - diminutive flier Aaron Lennon - do you think he would be a decent squad player as a midfielder who can occasionally make an over-lapping cross and from time to time find one of our players with it?

My biggest concern with taking Lennon & Townsend out of first team is how much slower we become as a unit.

See everyone raving about Sterling, when you have multiple players with pace (as pool does) it's easier for them to find space and be effective (hence Lennon played well with Bale opposite)

Fundamentally we don't get enough player into the box, that is a team/manager issue. Look at the Pool game, Ade plays like Robbie Keane (i.e. thinks he's a midfielder), Lamela is being the "assist" maker and who is in the box? That's why Paulinho scored goals last season and still has a chance to make himself first choice, because he gets into the box and makes himself an option.

Re Lennon himself, no he has not improved beyond that Bale season where he was a part of Bale's success, helped create another outlet, could switch flanks, etc. His lack of goals partially comes from the fact that most games he does stay wide and out.

What he needs to do is attack the far post when our play comes from the opposite side, and yes he does need to contribute more, but he's not the disaster player that's been **** for years that people like to make out.

He can still play some part in the squad, I just think the days of him being automatic first choice should be long gone. I actually think he's regressed since he joined us. He was continually linked with the likes of Liverpool and Man United in his pomp, those days seem like a distant memory.

Well I play any of the following in one of the 3 attacking midfield spots;

Eriksen
Lamela
Chadli
Possibly Paulinho

I think in a round about way everyone is in agreement on this thread. He can still be a useful squad player and I expect him to get plenty of games in Europa and the Cups by early indications that is how Poch plans to use him. I think the disagreement is over his contribution and digression the previous 5 or so seasons. That can be debated but it appears everyone is in agreement he shouldn't be a nailed on starter anymore which he isn't.

That's probably because Lennon is incapable of kicking the ball hard enough for it to end up in the stands [emoji6]
I think in a round about way everyone is in agreement on this thread. He can still be a useful squad player and I expect him to get plenty of games in Europa and the Cups by early indications that is how Poch plans to use him. I think the disagreement is over his contribution and digression the previous 5 or so seasons. That can be debated but it appears everyone is in agreement he shouldn't be a nailed on starter anymore which he isn't.
This.

I don't agree that he hasn't improved since 2006. He was excellent alongside VdV and Bale. The three of them interchanging was also a different position/instructions to what he had done before.

I don't agree that he hasn't improved since 2006. He was excellent alongside VdV and Bale. The three of them interchanging was also a different position/instructions to what he had done before.

Good players look better when they play with great players. It's pretty easy to see which were which in this case.

Back