• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Aaron Lennon

Lennon's progress has stalled in the last few years. Don't think he fulfilled his true potential at Spurs. Wouldn't have mind if we had sold him in the transfer window. But looking at our lack of sigings, really glad we didn't sell him.

We signed six players, only one less than last summer and that was considered to be a major upheaval.

Spot on!

In fact, if we got the ball to him early, he would find a striker like Soldado many many times...

Did you see Bentaleb play in Kane/Dier against West Ham?

Did you see Bentaleb play in Adebayor against Liverpool when he lifted it over the goal?

I don't agree that he hasn't improved since 2006. He was excellent alongside VdV and Bale. The three of them interchanging was also a different position/instructions to what he had done before.

I think he's best season was probably 05/06 and 08/09...that says a lot.

Yes.
And?

I'm agreeing with you really. Reading further down, GloryEze asked WHO could pass to Lennon and then you did say Bentaleb and hopefully Strambouli could pass it early to Lennon; I was just agreeing that Bentaleb can pass, and Capoue can too, and Mason... we do have players that can pass, it is a myth that they can't. Probably because we like to play sideways and the whole turgid AVB controlled possession thing but let's not go there.

Quite often our longer passes are to switch wings which rarely is enough to set Lennon up against one full back... usually by the time play is switched there is time for somebody to cover so I'm not a big fan of the booming crossfield pass. It looks good and does uncork play a bit, but rarely leads to a big chance, just a deep cross. The pass really needs to be a quick vertical pass down the pitch to release Lennon one-on-one with some hapless full back or even better centre back.

I suppose Lennon spends too much time and energy chasing back and would have more praise if he just stayed up top and out wide waiting to sprint onto through balls, I have no problem with him doing that sometimes.

I'm agreeing with you really. Reading further down, GloryEze asked WHO could pass to Lennon and then you did say Bentaleb and hopefully Strambouli could pass it early to Lennon; I was just agreeing that Bentaleb can pass, and Capoue can too, and Mason... we do have players that can pass, it is a myth that they can't. Probably because we like to play sideways and the whole turgid AVB controlled possession thing but let's not go there.

Quite often our longer passes are to switch wings which rarely is enough to set Lennon up against one full back... usually by the time play is switched there is time for somebody to cover so I'm not a big fan of the booming crossfield pass. It looks good and does uncork play a bit, but rarely leads to a big chance, just a deep cross. The pass really needs to be a quick vertical pass down the pitch to release Lennon one-on-one with some hapless full back or even better centre back.

I suppose Lennon spends too much time and energy chasing back and would have more praise if he just stayed up top and out wide waiting to sprint onto through balls, I have no problem with him doing that sometimes.

Generally we have good technical players, so yes they can pass a ball.

But there is a very big difference between being able to technically pass a ball and having the vision/timing to make a decisive pass, and do so early. Eriksen/Lamela can consistently, the others may be able to do so with the right instruction.

Re Lennon staying up, yes I would like him and Ade to stay to **** up the pitch most times, it would at minimum give the opposition defense something to think about,

I've long felt that his energy and speed, would be better utillised harassing our opponents back line into making mistakes, rather than provide cover for our right-back .

His best spell for me was when he had a Right Back with a brain behind him in Corluka, constantly played him in behind. Since Walker came on the scene he hasnt been as effective because they dont suit each others games. I do like him though and would still rather have him around the squad than not especially away from home where he breaks quickly and is extremely disciplined going the other way as well

I've long felt that his energy and speed, would be better utillised harassing our opponents back line into making mistakes, rather than provide cover for our right-back .
I agree which is why I would be interested in seeing him in Poch's system.

And that's why Dawson and Kaboul look so hopeless when pressurised by nippy players like Sterling and Suarez. The majority of centre backs in the league are hardly what I would call composed, they will panic and lump it or make a mistake.

So basically Lennon is almost redundant if we don't have better players in the team to help him is that the general feeling?

I can't really understand why should continue to tolerate his lack of improvement/end product or whatever you wish to call it. Seems like most people believe his biggest asset is his work rate and ability to help the right back. Sorry if this is coming across as rude but I don't know why posters trot out this line when he's meant to be an attacking player. Personally I think the list of things he can't do or he isn't good at outweighs the good things he does.

So basically Lennon is almost redundant if we don't have better players in the team to help him is that the general feeling?

I can't really understand why should continue to tolerate his lack of improvement/end product or whatever you wish to call it. Seems like most people believe his biggest asset is his work rate and ability to help the right back. Sorry if this is coming across as rude but I don't know why posters trot out this line when he's meant to be an attacking player. Personally I think the list of things he can't do or he isn't good at outweighs the good things he does.
I think that we should see what he can do under the current manager if he gets a chance. He got a couple of run outs behind the striker in preseason and it is a position I would be interested in seeing more of him in. His pressing is good and his pace would be an asset for any forced mistakes. He is also strong on the ball and has a good eye for a pass. His lack of goals is a minus but it hardly like the others are banging them in.

I think that we should see what he can do under the current manager if he gets a chance. He got a couple of run outs behind the striker in preseason and it is a position I would be interested in seeing more of him in. His pressing is good and his pace would be an asset for any forced mistakes. He is also strong on the ball and has a good eye for a pass. His lack of goals is a minus but it hardly like the others are banging them in.

True but they also haven't had nearly 10 years in the side, if they went that long with that lack of end product I would want them on the bench too.

Couldn't agree more. He's been poor under the last 2 managers. He was good under Harry when teams didn't sit back against us, because he could fully utilise his pace.

That said we're stuck with him. Hopefully Poch can find a use for him. Walker's injured, maybe sticking Lennon at right back would make better use of his 'talents'.

True but they also haven't had nearly 10 years in the side, if they went that long with that lack of end product I would want them on the bench too.
Jol tried him central a couple of times and said that he thought that he'd end up there. I think that his end product is fine, he has a decent shot on him and his close range passing is excellent. I just wish he would take a chance and do it more often. Maybe the competition for places will make him step up his performances in a similar way to Bentley's arrival did.

Back