• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Aaron Lennon

Purely for curiousity's sake would love to see what he's like as a wing back, could be a complete car crash of an idea but I do wonder....

I wonder if Lennon had a boss like Rodgers or perhaps even Pochettino from an early age whether we'd see a completely different player. Not sterling good necessarily but better than what we have today. My point is he's been mismanaged.

But his type of diminutive figure in the forward positions is becoming less popular in today's systems unless they are technically gifted like Silva, cazorla etc. You see them becoming more wing backs or full backs

Lennon's impact tends to be how the system leverages him

- yes, he could have been coached better and his injuries have always seemed to come when he was just about to kick on.
- but Harry with Bale/Lennon showed how well he could be used, key was having another option (Bale) so he isn't doubled up on, get the ball to him early and hurt opponents on counter

Interestingly Poch did not seem to use either him/Townsend as a outright winger in preseason, but really as someone making quick runs through the midfield area.
Against Pool, it might have worked as a few times Lamela had the ball and no one was making the quick run for him to pass to.

Sterling is a far far more intelligent and creative player than Lennon.

That's an opinion but I think one needs to put sterling's performances to date in the context of him having an exceptional coach who has given him the necessary support. You can see how he has developed after his first season where he was very raw. Also Lennon is a pure winger unlike sterling and Walcott who can play through the middle. If you are comparing them as wingers I believe Lennon can be just as good.

100% agree. Sterling is exceptional, I think he is actually underrated in this country. The media still go on like Jack Wheelchair is the great hope. Sterling is by far the brightest talent in England. People laughed when I suggested he was better than Coutinho. Now I'd say he is some way better than Coutinho.
I can't say he is underrated mate when he was given a central midfield role in our world cup team. I think on the contrary he is being overhyped like all young, English players who show some talent and could go the same way as the Rooneys, wilsheres and SWPs if we are not careful.

Actually I think Sterling does more than his fair share of pressing. He won the ball back plenty of times

Indeed, Sterling puts in a decent shift for an attacking player who is still a teenager and has previously been accused of having a poor attitude...

2akmctg.jpg

LOL lennon behind the striker . He couldn't pick up a clever pass if his life depended on it , and let's not even talk about his finishing .

He has bags of skills but he is just a coward with no footballbrain at all .

A mediocre player in the same mold as say SWP, Agbonlahor etc . Loved the guy to bits when he first came and had enormous hopes for him, but he has let me down season after season. I mean how many chanses does a player get before we give up on him ??

LOL lennon behind the striker . He couldn't pick up a clever pass if his life depended on it , and let's not even talk about his finishing .

He has bags of skills but he is just a coward with no footballbrain at all .

A mediocre player in the same mold as say SWP, Agbonlahor etc . Loved the guy to bits when he first came and had enormous hopes for him, but he has let me down season after season. I mean how many chanses does a player get before we give up on him ??

Man I don't get this??? Ok so he ain't and never will be Bale. But he is a quality player, always a worry for the opposition, never shirks responsibility, always puts in a shift and on his day is devastating.

When has he let us down? What do you men by chances?

[video=youtube_share;5lcw01pOpOI]http://youtu.be/5lcw01pOpOI[/video]

Class! I love Lennon. Must be the longest serving player at the club now. He can be so good.

Man I don't get this??? Ok so he ain't and never will be Bale. But he is a quality player, always a worry for the opposition, never shirks responsibility, always puts in a shift and on his day is devastating.

When has he let us down? What do you men by chances?

I also don't get the can't pick a pass and no football brain comments. I think that Lennon's short passing is very good and he reads the game very well.

I'm more interested in seeing him behind the striker

I'm with you on this. I'd like to see it too one day. He has a great touch, fantastic low centre of gravity being such a small guy and acceleration matched by not many. Can he pick a pass? I'd say from the years of him seeing running that right flank and cutting the ball back, yes. yes he can. Consistently? Well even I can't argue that he has been that. Under Jol when he first burst on the scene he excited the f*ck out of everyone. When he picked it up, no one had their bums on their seat... "go on azza skin him!"

I'm with you on this. I'd like to see it too one day. He has a great touch, fantastic low centre of gravity being such a small guy and acceleration matched by not many. Can he pick a pass? I'd say from the years of him seeing running that right flank and cutting the ball back, yes. yes he can. Consistently? Well even I can't argue that he has been that. Under Jol when he first burst on the scene he excited the f*ck out of everyone. When he picked it up, no one had their bums on their seat... "go on azza skin him!"

We tried it a bit in pre-season, so I guess it is something that Poch has at least considered

But like someone just posted Diego, he can't finish. I really want to have your positivity for the player but I think he's just incredibly limited and very injury prone when you need him most. If it was still a 4-4-2 with Bale on the left I think Aaron's your man as long as he's on form and confident but in the current system I just see it being painful to watch. As I always say, I hope I'm proved wrong but judging on the player's ability to do basic things consistently I just don't expect it to happen.

We can joke about it but how can a professional footballer not be able to kick the ball that well?!

But like someone just posted Diego, he can't finish. I really want to have your positivity for the player but I think he's just incredibly limited and very injury prone when you need him most. If it was still a 4-4-2 with Bale on the left I think Aaron's your man as long as he's on form and confident but in the current system I just see it being painful to watch. As I always say, I hope I'm proved wrong but judging on the player's ability to do basic things consistently I just don't expect it to happen.

We can joke about it but how can a professional footballer not be able to kick the ball that well?!

If we consider Azza to be a (right-sided mid-fielder) and NOT a winger perhaps the comments about his excellent defensives shift would not be met with the reply 'but he's a winger'. If Poch thinks he can do a job either of the right side or floating as he did in pre-season maybe he can re-invent himself. It's just a shame his progress faltered and Walnutt (pre-injury) got better than him.

Lennon can finish though, you put him one on one with a keeper and you put Adebayor and I'd be much more confident that lennon would score. He just doesn't shoot.

Lennon just reeks of the mediocrity that we have been happy to put with season after season. For every brief flirtation with a VDV, Modric and Berbatov we have had a Lennon, Jenas and Dawson who stay nearly 10 years and under achieve. Lennon stopped improving years and years ago. He has shown no interest in either adapting his game or improving on his weaknesses, simply because he has enjoyef a "free pass" here for years in the comfort zone.

He has been here almost 10 years. 10 bloody years ! How on earth can a professional footballer who plays in an attacking position not teach himself to even strike the ball properly, over 10 whole years. How ?

Back