• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Aaron Lennon

I think I'm still one of the few people who still admire Lennon as a player. Always has been underrated. Yes he should be better but I still think he was mismanaged, and his so called regression is probably more to do with having about 50 different managers. Of course the buck ultimately stops with him but so many managers have come in and tried him to do different things. He's had to win them over and over again, perhaps adapting his game to try and gain favour with the current manager.

I think he will do what Poch wants from him. Problem he has and has had for a long while is these speedy wingers are almost adapting to becoming full backs / wing backs as opposed to out and out wingers. With teams favouring having more numbers in the middle or 1 up top, the inside forwards usually need to have a big goal threat and usually seem to be more powerful. Sterling is different. I think he is exceptional tbh. Speed, speed of thought, good touch and can score. Can Lennon be our Sterling? Probably not. But he is a good passer of the ball, technically more than decent (think he is underrated in that respect) and I would imagine a dream for a manager in terms of executing instructions. I want to see him get in one on one situations more often and maybe that will happen with more speed of thought from our central midfielders.

Sorry this is not hating on Townsend but he has simply never come near Lennon at his best for Spurs just yet.

I'm happy with Townsend and Lennon for the Europa League or to stand in for injuries etc, that is fine.

I think I'm still one of the few people who still admire Lennon as a player. Always has been underrated. Yes he should be better but I still think he was mismanaged, and his so called regression is probably more to do with having about 50 different managers. Of course the buck ultimately stops with him but so many managers have come in and tried him to do different things. He's had to win them over and over again, perhaps adapting his game to try and gain favour with the current manager.

I think he will do what Poch wants from him. Problem he has and has had for a long while is these speedy wingers are almost adapting to becoming full backs / wing backs as opposed to out and out wingers. With teams favouring having more numbers in the middle or 1 up top, the inside forwards usually need to have a big goal threat and usually seem to be more powerful. Sterling is different. I think he is exceptional tbh. Speed, speed of thought, good touch and can score. Can Lennon be our Sterling? Probably not. But he is a good passer of the ball, technically more than decent (think he is underrated in that respect) and I would imagine a dream for a manager in terms of executing instructions. I want to see him get in one on one situations more often and maybe that will happen with more speed of thought from our central midfielders.

Sorry this is not hating on Townsend but he has simply never come near Lennon at his best for Spurs just yet.

No no I'm right there with you. Highly underrated player...I think with him, Lamela and Soldado on the same pitch, Bentaleb or Paulinho playing advanced behind, we'd be very very productive. Azza is also a workhorse. Am happy he stayed TBH...

I love Lennon partly due to him being my fave player. Granted he hasnt progressed as much as we all thought but when he is guided he is brilliant He at times has been asked to play to instructions that didnt realise his full potential in my view.

When Lennon is on form, he adds so much to our overall play. He spreads the defence so well and the threat from his pace is unmatched. I believe his biggest problem is consistency. Hopefully Poch can get that out of him.

Great post Diego. Sterling has been made into the player he is by good coaching. Like Wenger and Ferguson used to do with their players. I am really exited to see how he develops under Poch. I believe he can be every bit as good as sterling its about getting the right mentality. I recall how good Shaun wright Phillips was when he was young only to have is career fade away because of transfers to clubs where he was not given proper support.

Sterling is a far far more intelligent and creative player than Lennon.

100% agree. Sterling is exceptional, I think he is actually underrated in this country. The media still go on like Jack Wheelchair is the great hope. Sterling is by far the brightest talent in England. People laughed when I suggested he was better than Coutinho. Now I'd say he is some way better than Coutinho.

100% agree. Sterling is exceptional, I think he is actually underrated in this country. The media still go on like Jack Wheelchair is the great hope. Sterling is by far the brightest talent in England. People laughed when I suggested he was better than Coutinho. Now I'd say he is some way better than Coutinho.

Yeah it's weird. English fans and journalists seem to have him in the 'group of mildly promising wingers' category with Townsend, Redmond etc. But he's streets ahead of that group IMO.

Foreign scouts and journo's however, have been monitoring him for some time. I think Tor Kristian Karlsen said he's one of the best ever players he's seen play in the U17 world cup.

At club level, there is no doubt he is on his way to becoming a class player. Not sure about international level as very few England players in recent years have proved this.

Daneil Sturridge is another player who has surprised me, I always knew he was a good finisher but his overall play his improved. I keep waiting for his form to dip but it hasn't happened in a long time.

Yeah it's weird. English fans and journalists seem to have him in the 'group of mildly promising wingers' category with Townsend, Redmond etc. But he's streets ahead of that group IMO.

Foreign scouts and journo's however, have been monitoring him for some time. I think Tor Kristian Karlsen said he's one of the best ever players he's seen play in the U17 world cup.

I think since the world cup that school of thought is changing. I would imagine after this season it will become obvious that he is the gem for England.

When an attacking player's best asset is his ability to track back then you know there's an issue. I actually thought he would get to the level where he would be too good for us, but on the contrary he's shown he's not good enough.

Just to add my voice to the "I'm one of the remaining Lennon fans" chorus. I'm not suggesting he's fulfilled his potential, but he's still a very good player in my view and I'm glad he's at the club.

When an attacking player's best asset is his ability to track back then you know there's an issue. I actually thought he would get to the level where he would be too good for us, but on the contrary he's shown he's not good enough.

Very much this, is does my head in how everyone says how good Lennon is at tracking back. He is an attacking winger that is the last thing anyone should notice about him. I didn't hear too many people raving about how well Sterling was tracking back Sunday he was too busy tearing us a new one

Very much this, is does my head in how everyone says how good Lennon is at tracking back. He is an attacking winger that is the last thing anyone should notice about him. I didn't hear too many people raving about how well Sterling was tracking back Sunday he was too busy tearing us a new one
Actually I think Sterling does more than his fair share of pressing. He won the ball back plenty of times

Actually I think Sterling does more than his fair share of pressing. He won the ball back plenty of times

yes but mostly high up the pitch and that is not the first contribution from Sunday which springs to mind. With Lennon it seems to be always well he didn't get involved enough but worked so hard tracking back! As has been mentioned yes helping out the defense is important but when playing 1 striker and an attacking 3 all of those players must be dangerous in attack. QPR match is prime example, we looked so dangerous that whole match because all of those front 3 were getting forward and causing problems. I did not think it was a coincidence at all that is the best we had looked going forward in years and Lennon was not involved.

Remember when Jol tried to play him on the left for a season?
The guy simply couldnt do it. Now Poch is trying the same.

He's an old fashioned winger out of time in the modern era.

I wonder if Lennon had a boss like Rodgers or perhaps even Pochettino from an early age whether we'd see a completely different player. Not sterling good necessarily but better than what we have today. My point is he's been mismanaged.

But his type of diminutive figure in the forward positions is becoming less popular in today's systems unless they are technically gifted like Silva, cazorla etc. You see them becoming more wing backs or full backs

Back