• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup Final - Germany vs Argentina

I hope Argentina win it, but my head says Germany. They've been the best team in this tournament by far. Argentina have been surprisingly solid defensively, but have disappointed me offensively. Narrow wins all the way and not a lot of sexy football. They are clever in their approach though. Could easily go to penalties, and we all know who'll win that ...

Kinda reminds me of Spain 4 years ago.

I really do not understand why some people say Argentina have a weak defence when the facts simply do not back it up.

I hope Argentina win it, but my head says Germany. They've been the best team in this tournament by far. Argentina have been surprisingly solid defensively, but have disappointed me offensively. Narrow wins all the way and not a lot of sexy football. They are clever in their approach though. Could easily go to penalties, and we all know who'll win that ...

I'm assuming you think Germany will win? Wouldn't be so sure, let's not forget their top club side lost a shootout in their own stadium.

Part of the Brazilian collapse was their attitude and mentality I think. Argentina seem to have a much healthier attitude and unlike Brazil (with the possible exception of Thiago Silva) their experienced players are looking like experienced players and leaders.

Holland managed to nullify Messi and without Di Maria Argentina looked relatively toothless, but I'm not sure Germany will take the same approach and adjust to their opposition to that extreme. I also think that some of those German midfielders, as wonderful as they are as players, are less defensively solid than the Dutch destroyers.

Will be very interesting, probably a bit tentative, Germany are obviously favourites, but for me Argentina are well in with a shout and I hope they win it.

That was just GHod taunting us. Normal service will be resumed.

Argentina's record is also very solid. 4 wins and 1 losses in World Cup penalty shootouts now. Obviously a small sample and skewed by the brilliance of Goycoechea in Italy '90 and all that, but it at least indicates that they know what they're doing. Romero and the takers will go into a shootout with a lot of confidence if it comes to that.

Didn't mention this in the semi final thread, but I was very impressed with Romero in the shootout. For the first penalty he waited and trusted his reactions I think, knowing that Vlaar wasn't a top class penalty taker and that it would most likely be "saveable". When the penalty experts Robben and Sneijder stepped up he knew that they probably would be good enough to place the ball far enough into the corner to make them close to unsaveable if attempting to trust your reactions. So after that he started gambling and just picked a side, leading to the rather magnificent save from Sneijder's penalty. A penalty I don't think many, if any, goalkeeper would have saved if attempting a reaction save.

Apparently only Fred has covered less ground than Messi in the tournament... lazy sod thinks he's Jan Molby

Apparently only Fred has covered less ground than Messi in the tournament... lazy sod thinks he's Jan Molby

I dont think Messi is Lazy. I think the tactics are for him to stay high so when he does receive possesion he can damage the opposition. The rest of the Argentine team is fairly bland. But with Messi they have a deciding factor. So keep him fresh, keep the opposition worried about him. He has bailed them out of a couple of games already in this tournament.

I dont think Messi is Lazy. I think the tactics are for him to stay high so when he does receive possesion he can damage the opposition. The rest of the Argentine team is fairly bland. But with Messi they have a deciding factor. So keep him fresh, keep the opposition worried about him. He has bailed them out of a couple of games already in this tournament.

I was just joking. There is a maturity with Messi. Young Messi would go around pressing like crazy. He is very much someone who conserves his energy and waits to make his impact.

I dont think Messi is Lazy. I think the tactics are for him to stay high so when he does receive possession he can damage the opposition. The rest of the Argentine team is fairly bland. But with Messi they have a deciding factor. So keep him fresh, keep the opposition worried about him. He has bailed them out of a couple of games already in this tournament.

Obviously not high enough, against the Netherlands he did not touch the ball at all in their penalty area, he was dropping too deep. Personally methinks he is just saving himself for the final :)

Surely, all the pressure will be on Germany. After beating Brazil 7-1, everyone will be expecting them to score many goals and win against Argentina. I think Argentina will have a good chance to win if they can get an early goal. That will put more pressure on Germany.

Surely, all the pressure will be on Germany. After beating Brazil 7-1, everyone will be expecting them to score many goals and win against Argentina. I think Argentina will have a good chance to win if they can get an early goal. That will put more pressure on Germany.
I don't think that the German players or fans are stupid enough to fall into that trap. They will go into the game as slight favourites but I am sure that they are aware that it is a finely balanced match and they will have to play well to win.

The Brazil match was one of those freak games where everything that they tried came off and Brazil fell to pieces once they went two behind.

I don't think that the German players or fans are stupid enough to fall into that trap. They will go into the game as slight favourites but I am sure that they are aware that it is a finely balanced match and they will have to play well to win.

The Brazil match was one of those freak games where everything that they tried came off and Brazil fell to pieces once they went two behind.

Agreed, this Germany side looks much too experienced and smart to fall into a trap like that. Even at 7-0 up there was a reaction between Neuer and the defenders when they conceded against Brazil. After the win they looked happy, but still focused on what was ahead of them.

For me they're a bit more than slight favourites, remembering that they've had an extra day's rest in addition to a much softer Semi Final in terms of effort needed than the Argentinian side. They also have a bigger squad they've utilized better during the tournament and should be fresher. That in itself should be enough to make them slight favourites, but in addition they've looked like the better team by a somewhat solid margin.

Will be very interesting to see how they chose to deal with Messi though, Holland were very reactive I thought. Not sure Germany will be, that might swing either way.

Just as a point of reference, best odds right now according to oddschecker is 1.7 (7/10) on Germany and 2.3 (13/10) on Argentina to win the World Cup.

Holland thrashing Brazil proves what I have thought for a while, Germany are not brilliant rather Brazil are just very poor

I think the 7-1 was a bit of a freak result and I don't think anyone is saying it was just German brilliance. However, German also put four past Portugal and in the last world cup, with many of the same players, four past England and Argentina. The Brasilian panic after the second goal led to three extra quick goals, so perhaps we discount those, but that still leaves a fully deserved 4-1.

Not that I expect Germany to put four past Argentina, but we should give them their due.

I think the 7-1 was a bit of a freak result and I don't think anyone is saying it was just German brilliance. However, German also put four past Portugal and in the last world cup, with many of the same players, four past England and Argentina. The Brasilian panic after the second goal led to three extra quick goals, so perhaps we discount those, but that still leaves a fully deserved 4-1.

Not that I expect Germany to put four past Argentina, but we should give them their due.

I agree

Back