• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who is the best Spurs manager/coach of the Premier League era?

Who is the best Spurs manager/coach of the Premier League era?

• Total voters
He was an important / key player and even more so from the squad which finished 7th the season before - Harry's original claim of no key players leaving

but if he left half way through the following season after his manager favoured another player don't you get why harry would say that?

anyway i just checked and he did contribute 5 goals in league and cup.

If a player leavs for personal reasons (i.e. fight) - does not devalueate his previous impact in the squad - as a footballer

but Jol has gone public and stated that he thought (and thinks) Pogrebnyak is a far better player so it's not really just about the personal reasons if the manager actually think he's getting a superior player is it.

No, it didn't. We were nowhere near challenging Arsenal in 06/07. We spent most of the season in midtable and only a rally late got us there. Very different from the season before we were there or threreabouts for nearly the whole of the season We finisher closer to Reading, Bolton, Pompey in 2007 than compared with Arsenal. And the same number of points ahead of Blackburn.

I did not claim clubs in and around the top 6 had spent little money. I said they had spent a fraction of what we had and had a fraction of our clout overall. Which is surely completely uncontroversial, even by your own stats? I never mentioned Villa, for a start. West Ham are only mentioned in connection with Redknapp finishing 5th, when they were certainly not spending 60m in one summer - so some of the higher figures haven't even got anything to do with the price of fish.

How is that different to our first 4th season - late form saw us above City, etc.

What difference does it make where we were at Week 25 - it is the final table which matters only - else Arry would still be here and we'd be playing the CL

As for the spending figures - you are welcome to look at those yourself if you don't believe me

I voted Harry but it was difficult. I liked Jol a lot more, and we must remember that Harry actually got to choose who he signed, we don't know how Jol would've done with freedom in the transfer market. It's also quite hard to compare taking us from mid-table to UEFA cup standard to from UEFA cup standard to CL standard. Harry I do feel improved Bale, BAE, Huddlestone and Kaboul significantly, whilst I'm not sure Jol can say that about any player.

but Jol has gone public and stated that he thought (and thinks) Pogrebnyak is a far better player so it's not really just about the personal reasons if the manager actually think he's getting a superior player is it.

Of course he'll say that as PR to calm the fans - what happened between the two is irrelevant.

If AVB sold Bale tomorrow and replaced him with Downing and went on record to state he was better - would you believe him and claim we never lost a key player? Please take a minute a think about this for a while.

Fact remains - 2 key players left for whatever reasons

How is that different to our first 4th season - late form saw us above City, etc.

What difference does it make where we were at Week 25 - it is the final table which matters only - else Arry would still be here and we'd be playing the CL

As for the spending figures - you are welcome to look at those yourself if you don't believe me

Not really...are you forgetting how we started?

Of course he'll say that as PR to calm the fans - what happened between the two is irrelevant.

If AVB sold Bale tomorrow and replaced him with Downing and went on record to state he was better - would you believe him and claim we never lost a key player? Please take a minute a think about this for a while.

Fact remains - 2 key players left for whatever reasons

How is the Zamora and Pog situation in any way similar to your bogus Bale and downing comparison? you think the gulf in class is in any way close.

To answer your question i wouldn't believe AVB no but i believe Jol honestly prefering Pog to Zamora. Calm the fans? he said this recently when neither are even playing for fulham football club? what's there to calm?

Not relevant to this thread per se, but I just want to point out what a fantastic job Jol did at HSV. Things didn't go at well for him in his second season at Ajax and this has tainted his reputation, but people aren't fully aware of the job he did at HSV. He gave them their highest points total since they won the European Cup and took them to the 1/2 finals of the UEFA Cup where they were knocked out due to a paper bag on the pitch (unbelievable but true). He also took them to the 1/2 finals of the German Cup. He did this despite having Kompany, De Jong and VDV sold. This is like us selling VDV and Modric this season. We badly under rate our managers for some reason.

It's not a bogus claim - it a simple example to help you understand the point

It doesn't matter what Jol thought of him - he was a key player and even more so the previous season - and left - which proves the original claim of Harry's factually incorrent. Add to that Gera too. The fact you even claim you wouldn't believe AVB but take Jol's word as gospel says it all really.

Why can't you for once admit you were wrong - Steff was right

You're on a wind up here (shocker) again, and I'm done

and btw Pogrebnyak scored mored goals in the second half of the season than Zamora did in the first so i guess Jol made the correct decision and i very much doubt he was of the opinion that he lost a "massive player".

and btw Pogrebnyak scored mored goals in the second half of the season than Zamora did in the first so i guess Jol made the correct decision and i very much doubt he was of the opinion that he lost a "massive player".

Doesn't matter what Pog did - Zamora was a key player for them at the time and even more so - the season before (the actual point of discussion here - nothing to do with that Jol thought of Pog - so stop detrailing the discussion) - ask any FFC fan if Zamora was a key player at the time.

Defoe once scored more league goals than Berbatov for us - who do you think is the more important player?

Just for once in your life admit you were wrong

It's not a bogus claim - it a simple example to help you understand the point

It doesn't matter what Jol thought of him - he was a key player and even more so the previous season - and left - which proves the original claim of Harry's factually incorrent. Add to that Gera too. The fact you even claim you wouldn't believe AVB but take Jol's word as gospel says it all really.

Why can't you for once admit you were wrong - Steff was right

You're on a wind up here (shocker) again, and I'm done

This is the tactic you use. We're talking football but you always feel it necessary to throw in things like this...then you'll claim i'm taking it off topic. Leave steff or anyone for that matter out of it.

How can someone be wrong when it's about your personal opinion ffs? yesterday when countless posters disagreed with your opinion of Llloris and Friedel did that mean you was wrong? no because it's an opinion. How can you admit you're wrong when that is your opinion.

You like to judge things based on how many posters on here disagree with you on here it seems and base that on whether you was right or wrong and that is your perogative but i don't do that. I'll admit i'm wrong when it's factually proven (like your Saudi Sportswashing Machine comment) but you're crying and claiming i'm on a wind up because i believe what Jol said? wowo you've outdone yourself here.

How is that different to our first 4th season - late form saw us above City, etc

Eh? We in the top 4 for pretty much the whole season? IIRC, in 06/07 we weren't in the top 8 for any period apart from the last 2 or 3 games.

I'm not saying the final positions can be disputed but there is an obvious difference being up there and putting pressure on Arsenal all season and being midtable and knowing you have no chance, even if you rally late to get within x number of points of them. We knew 4th was gone in February in 06/07. We probably were 4th at the same stage of the previous season. It is like a long distance race where you leave the break until too late. Except, not quite, as with us in 06/07 it would have simply become mathematically impossibility to catch Arsenal, long before the final games.

Errr.... I'm saying even by your own figures what I'm saying is accurate. I never even mentioned Villa or Saudi Sportswashing Machine. At least not for the 2005 period you quote those figures from. The other figures just back up my point. Most in and around us had a fraction of our resources and no one would claim Bolton, Reading or Blackburn are bigger clubs.

This is the tactic you use. We're talking football but you always feel it necessary to throw in things like this...then you'll claim i'm taking it off topic. Leave steff or anyone for that matter out of it.

How can someone be wrong when it's about your personal opinion ffs? yesterday when countless posters disagreed with your opinion of Llloris and Friedel did that mean you was wrong? no because it's an opinion. How can you admit you're wrong when that is your opinion.

You like to judge things based on how many posters on here disagree with you on here it seems and base that on whether you was right or wrong and that is your perogative but i don't do that. I'll admit i'm wrong when it's factually proven (like your Saudi Sportswashing Machine comment) but you're crying and claiming i'm on a wind up because i believe what Jol said? wowo you've outdone yourself here.

The original claim stated Jol didn't lose any key players

I pointed out he lost amongst others - 2 'key players' from his squad (Gera and Zamora did leave)

If you think those were 'fringe units' - I'd reccomend you visit a FFC forum, pose the question yourself and report back on your findings so we can resume this debate.

And on that note - I'm off to gym

The original claim stated Jol didn't lose any key players

I pointed out he lost amongst others - 2 'key players' from his squad (Gera and Zamora did leave)

If you think those were 'fringe units' - I'd reccomend you visit a FFC forum, pose the question yourself and report back on your findings so we can resume this debate.

And on that note - I'm off to gym

Surely what Jol thought counts for more? Gera was such a key player he let him leave on a free to WBA. He had Zamora until the end of January. So more than half the season. So at worst he lost one key player for about 1/3 the season. Ruiz was signed in the summer. Point still remains. Hughes probably had a weaker squad and managed 8th. Jol 9th.

Surely what Jol thought counts for more? Gera was such a key player he let him leave on a free to WBA. He had Zamora until the end of January. So more than half the season. So at worst he lost one key player for about 1/3 the season. Ruiz was signed in the summer. Point still remains. Hughes probably had a weaker squad and managed 8th. Jol 9th.

He won't get it. in fact not only will he not get it but he'll accuse you of being on the "wind up", and not admitting "you are wrong" when you disagree :ross:

I mean the guy says Jol said that for a "pr excericise" and he was calming the fans down....even though he said it after both players had left? to any rational thinking person does that even make sense?

Last edited:
I know the votes for Ossie, Ramos and Gross are joke ones, but Gerry Francis deserved some credit. He was one of our better appointments. I remember the year when we signed Armstrong, being pretty high up the table around Christmas. He did well.

He won't get it. in fact not only will he not get it but he'll accuse you of being on the "wind up", and not admitting "you are wrong" when you disagree :ross:

I mean the guy says Jol said that for a "pr excericise" and he was calming the fans down....even though he said it after both players had left? to any rational thinking person does that even make sense?

And I'm not even knocking Jol there. I was just saying he's done okay at Fulham but nothing to suggest he'll be in line for the type of jobs he had before. The trouble is people get a bit funny when, rather than comparing Jol with just Glenn Hoddle, George Graham, Christian Gross or Ossie Ardlies, I broaden it out a bit. I think that says a lot.

Gera had 32 games for Fulham the previous season

What Jol says and what Zamora was are two separate aspects

Back