• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who is the best Spurs manager/coach of the Premier League era?

Who is the best Spurs manager/coach of the Premier League era?

• Total voters
like i said earlier whether AVB succeeds or not bares no relation on the decision replace Redknapp - my reasons for that were based solely on Redknapp and his time here and whether i thought he was the right man to take us forward from this point. If AVB fails then it means we appointed the wrong manager NOT that it was wrong to sack the previous one - if we had sacked Redknapp to appoint AVB it might be slightly different or more if i had been calling for us to appoint him

So if a certain area goes badly under one manager and you blame him for it, but then the same things happens under another manager, it wouldn't at least make you question your own original opinion as to what the source of the problem was? Or would you be just as sure you knew the manager was to blame for the original problem and therefore assume the new manager was simply just as bad at trying to fix it?

So if a certain area goes badly under one manager and you blame him for it, but then the same things happens under another manager, it wouldn't at least make you question your own original opinion as to what the source of the problem was? Or would you be just as sure you knew the manager was to blame for the original problem and therefore assume the new manager was simply just as bad at trying to fix it?

if we are talking as vaguely as that then it's hard to disagree - but in this instance we need to talking specifics, maybe ?

Of course, but there are just as many who are not prepered to give AVB a chance ( at least that is how it comes across). However for a fan to suggest ( as he did) that there are Spurs " fans" who would rather see us being average without Redknapp as our manager than successful with him. is rubbish.

In all honesty I haven't seen (and I admit to not reading every post on here) anyone calling for AVB to be given the chop, and not given a chance. I've seen people question our performances and some of AVB's decision making - absolutely. But that is a long way from people calling for him to get the boot.

Jol finished 5th twice a but for a dodgy lasagne we'd have finished 4th. He should never have been sacked and Harry finished 4/5/4 is a great achievement. But not the work of Jesus as some would have you believe. That's it!! The improvement in play, excitement and results was the most marked under Jol. His work at Fulham and the signings made show the man is a top manager and very astute as well.

I half agree with that, but I don't think a dodgy lasagne was soley to blame for us not finishing 4th. It's arrogant to assume we'd have beaten West Ham. It wouldn't have been an easy game even if all players were fit and it was a match we needed to win. People forget that we had only won a third of our away games that season when we arrived there. West Ham's home record wasn't great though, but I think a draw would have been a likely result and that would have still left us 5th.

I don't think we played very exciting football that season. It wasn't dull, but it wasn't cavalier. It's a bit more like this season. Rigid and with a tight gameplan. The following season we played more attractive football but that was more down to Berbatov.

I mainly talking about a specific group of posters. I should have been more clear. I'm sure not all Redknapp bashers were in favour of AVB.

I think posters should look at how things develop and then revise opinions accordingly. Managers should be judged comparatively, rather than against some un-testable fan ideal. I think we need to be prepared to test our opinions and review them in time. I have a real gripe when fans don't learn from the past. Personally I think the success or failure of AVB should have a real determining factor on how we view football. For example, if he is a success it would cause me to question my entire views on the game. AVB succeeding would be so out of sync with everything I've looked into over the last few years regarding managerial appointments and the impact a coach can have at this level. I'd literally have to rethink my entire view of the game.

Before you centre such 'gripes' on football fans, try humanity. It'd at least be the chicken before the egg...BTW, your comments on AVB are telling; you are actually professing that you are potentially as inflexible as anyone you've been speaking on behalf of...

I really don't understand why so many people seem so determined to downplay or diminish Redknapps achievements. Surely his time in charge made Spurs fans happier than at any time in the last 20 years. We played brilliant exciting football, saw great players playing to their best and had our best ever Prem finishes. Yet a large section of our fan base never accepted Harry and went to great lengths to find reason to criticize him, right from the start. When he took over he wasn't deemed good enough yet he did so well that by the time he left, instead of hating on him for having saggy cheeks, many chose to resent him for us finishing 4th instead of 3rd! The madness of football fans for hating a coach that took a team from bottom of the league to finishing above Chelsea in the space of 3 and half years is just incredible.

I remember on COYS when Jol was coming to the end, people started calling him "a bald taco" and other things like that. So I suppose if our fans can talk about a top bloke like Jol in that manner, then it shouldn't be surprising that a less likable character such as Harry gets slated.

I love what he did for us, but I didn't like the fact he touted himself for the Saudi Sportswashing Machine job and sniffed out the Holland job during his time with us...

Of course, but there are just as many who are not prepered to give AVB a chance ( at least that is how it comes across). However for a fan to suggest ( as he did) that there are Spurs " fans" who would rather see us being average without Redknapp as our manager than successful with him. is rubbish.

=D>

Re: Who is the best Spurs manager of the Premier League era?

Who did best with the players that they had?
Who improved the team the most?
Who had improved their players the most?
Who was the best?

I'm leaving off Santini and AVB because neither were/have been in post long enough to judge. Shreeves, Livermore and Clemence are left off because it was a puzzling set up and we were gash in the league that season.

Why leave off Pleat?

Who did best with the players that they had? Pleat
Who improved the team the most? Ramos
Who improved their players the most? Redknapp
Who was the best? Ramos and Graham

Last edited:
I half agree with that, but I don't think a dodgy lasagne was soley to blame for us not finishing 4th. It's arrogant to assume we'd have beaten West Ham. It wouldn't have been an easy game even if all players were fit and it was a match we needed to win. People forget that we had only won a third of our away games that season when we arrived there. West Ham's home record wasn't great though, but I think a draw would have been a likely result and that would have still left us 5th.

I don't think we played very exciting football that season. It wasn't dull, but it wasn't cavalier. It's a bit more like this season. Rigid and with a tight gameplan. The following season we played more attractive football but that was more down to Berbatov.

We were 4th going into the last game and it was in our own hands. Not arrogant to assume we could get a result and we only lost 2-1.

And the only reason we played better the next season was down to Berbatov? Feint praise indeed!!

Not a fan of Jol then!!

As I said, for the quantum leap forward ad results on the field Jol by far the best for me. The team was far far far inferior to mow as well.

Why leave off Pleat?

Who did best with the players that they had? Pleat
Who improved the team the most? Ramos
Who improved their players the most? Redknapp
Who was the best? Ramos and Graham

Because I have only included permanent managers and during the Premier League era both of Pleat's stints were as caretaker.

Martin Jol was my favourite, but the season that we first finished fourth was easily my favourite yet.

Felt like we were breaking all the rules.

In all honesty I haven't seen (and I admit to not reading every post on here) anyone calling for AVB to be given the chop, and not given a chance. I've seen people question our performances and some of AVB's decision making - absolutely. But that is a long way from people calling for him to get the boot.

A member posted this below earlier, now would you agree with that? and yes there have been a lot of fan calling for AVB to be sacked.

there are Spurs " fans" who would rather see us being average without Redknapp as our manager than successful with him

Back