• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who is the best Spurs manager/coach of the Premier League era?

Who is the best Spurs manager/coach of the Premier League era?

• Total voters

milo

Jack L. Jones
Inspired by discussion in the AVB thread.

Not most successful but best. Who did best with the players that they had? Who improved the team the most? Who had improved their players the most? Who was the best?

I'm leaving off Santini and AVB because neither were/have been in post long enough to judge. Shreeves, Livermore and Clemence are left off because it was a puzzling set up and we were gash in the league that season.

Re: Who is the best Spurs manager of the Premier League era?

Uh-oh.

I'm off to the nuclear shelter!

I liked Jol the most - think he was released at the wrong time and was 2 good midfielders away from a great side - ironically those arrived a few months too late. Not to mention Bale's untimely injuries at a time we were crying out for left width. He was a great character and someone who was prepared to stand for the club, not his own personal agenda. Still love the man and hope he succeeds at Fulham.

Here, I would also like to underline Comolli's contribution to what ultimately became Redknapp's winning hand - lest we forget!

Ramos won us a trophy and as many like to ridicule its 'significance' - it was a great achievement - fitness-wise that was our highlight in recent years - we looked very fit during those months, must be said.

Redknapp simply had everything align itself at the right time - and eventually became somewhat of a threat, imv - but I'm 99.9% sure he'd walk the poll. Those CL wins will remain a highlight for years to come and fans would always take preference, irrespective of actual context at the time. Sadly he never managed to take us beyond the sum of our parts like hopefully AVB would.

Hope you made it a public one - went for Jol.

Last edited:
Jols my favourite and was very good, but Harry was brilliant. Harry wont be fairly judged and never was due to not fitting the profile most wanted in a Spurs manager. But he was easily the best and as good as any Prem manager. There should have been riots when he was sacked, but amazingly many of our fans were happy. For some reason lots of fans seemed to think that he in some way under achieved and made extraordinary excuses to support this way of thinking. Now the same fans will be make similarly extraordinary excuses to defend AVB if he continues to struggle, in order to suggest he isn't under achieving.

Jol was a far better manager than he was given credit for. When you look at the wage bill Arsenal had compared to ours at the time and the quality of players we have, it shows how utterly ridiculous the criticisms of Jol were. Fans should be banned from trying to talk about tactics and fitness etc. I'd love to have seen how Wenger would have fared with the squad Jol had in 2005/6, yet most of our fans and the board thought that the difference between us and Arsenal was the coach. Unbelievably the same happened this summer. Wake up, this game is about money and it's damn site easier to attract top players when you pay big wages.

Premier League Records...

P0088.png

Tottenham Hotspur Manager's Records & Statistics 1898-2012

Jol most popular.
Redknapp most successful in terms of league
Graham & Ramos most successful in terms of trophies :eek:

Since the league is the toughest measure, I'd say you have to say Redknapp has been the best. Although I'm still optimistic over AVB :)

Who do you vote for?

Jol. I think that getting the team that he had at his disposal to finish fifth in 2006 was tougher than Redknapp getting his team finishing fourth in 2010 or 2012.

That said, Redknapp runs him a close second for me. He brought an immediate improvement when he took over from Ramos and he identified the weaknesses in the squad and filled them well. Finishing fourth was an excellent achievement and the Champions League run was brilliant. All that and he had the team playing the best football we've seen in a long time. I just wish he could keep his gob shut.

I liked Jol the most - think he was released at the wrong time and was 2 good midfielders away from a great side - ironically those arrived a few months too late. Not to mention Bale's untimely injuries at a time we were crying out for left width. He was a great character and someone who was prepared to stand for the club, not his own personal agenda. Still love the man and hope he succeeds at Fulham.

Here I would also like to underline Comolli's contribution to what ultimately became Redknapp's winning hand - lest we forget!

Ramos won us a trophy and as many like to ridicule its 'significance' - it was a great achievement - fitness-wise that was our highlight in recent years - we looked very fit during those months, must be said.

Redknapp simply had everything align itself at the right time - and eventually became somewhat of a threat, imv - but I'm 99.9% sure he'd walk the poll. Those CL wins will remain a highlight for years to come and fans would always take preference, irrespective of actual context at the time. Sadly he never managed to take us beyond the sum of our parts like hopefully AVB would.

Hope you made it a public one - went for Jol.

I agree with nearly everything you say in that post, except the verdict.

Jol was undermined in part by Comolli, but Redknapp didn't get what he wanted either (thank GHod). While you can argue that Redknapp had the better players, he did deliver on them and Jol's weakness was the games against the top sides. Jol is my favourite and I wish he had more support, but I have to vote for Redknapp.

Jol didn't agree with Comolli on most signings - and that became the main issue, imv (came across a interesting interview recently on that). Redknapp never had to deal with that setup although benefited indirectly in the end.

Jol didn't agree with Comolli on most signings - and that became the main issue, imv (came across a interesting interview recently on that). Redknapp never had to deal with that setup although benefited indirectly in the end.

Again I agree. Jol was handicapped and Redknapp arrived at a good time. But Redknapp produced when Ramos failed and apart from the first couple of windows had little support from Levy. Redknapp achieved what he did, while Jol could have done better with more support. So for the question , I give it to Redknapp. Who did the best under the conditions they faced would favour Jol more, but some of the earlier ones would also need re-evaluation.

P.S. What interview, is it on the web?

Back