• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who is the best Spurs manager/coach of the Premier League era?

Who is the best Spurs manager/coach of the Premier League era?

• Total voters
puts what into perspective? that we finished 2 points behind an Arse team that had tremendous players (year after the invincible season)

2 years after. That was 03/04. They went from 90 points then to 67 in 2005/06. They were struggling to deal with the lost of Vieira, in particular. Bergkamp, Campbell and Pires were all fading fast and were all replaced the following season. And they had been massive for them. This was among a myraid of other problems, especially at the back. The last time they'd gone as low as 67 was 1995 (which was the last time we finished above) and they've not gone below 67 since. I would say it was a decent opportunity for us.

two 5th place finishes at that time with the squads we had was a tremendous achievement

I would say tremendous would have been finishing above Arsenal at least one. Which to be fair, he was unlucky with. Massively outspending everyone else but for the top 4 (and maybe even then. Probably outspent Arsenal and Liverpool over the period too) for 3 years and then finishing 5th? Not really. Not when other clubs who didn't spend anything managed the exact same thing. We just went a bit OTT because we had someone decent in charge for the first time in years and years.

Last edited:
i know he managed Spurs just before the Premier League gravy train left the platform, but id like to mention Terry Venables and put him in the same bracket as Jol and Redknapp in the sense that all 3 seemed to understand what managing Spurs was all about, they understood what the fans wanted, they respected the traditions of the club.

all 3 are larger than life characters, great with the media, excellent man managers, somehow their personalities fitted with being manager of Tottenham Hotspur

I would say tremendous would have been finishing above Arsenal at least one. Which to be fair, he was unlucky with. Massively outspending everyone else but for the top 4 (and maybe even then. Probably outspent Arsenal and Liverpool over the period too) for 3 years and then finishing 5th? Not really. Not when other clubs who didn't spend anything managed the exact same thing. We just went a bit OTT because we had someone decent in charge for the first time in years and years.

But we weren't outspending everyone else on wages. In the Jol-Ramos period we were often outspent on wages by clubs like West Ham, Portsmouth, Villa. I'm not sure about 2005-06 specifically, but we might have been as low as 8th in the wages table.

Edit:
in 2005-06 we were 6th (behind Sky 4 and Saudi Sportswashing Machine, with Everton and Villa just behind us)
in 2006-07 we were 7th (behind Sky 4 and Saudi Sportswashing Machine and West Ham, with Villa virtually tied with us)
in 2007-08 we were 9th (behind Sky 4 and Saudi Sportswashing Machine, West Ham, Emirates Marketing Project and Portsmouth)
in 2008-09 we were 10th (behind Sky 4 and Saudi Sportswashing Machine, West Ham, Emirates Marketing Project, Portsmouth and Aston Villa)
in 2009-10 we were 7th or 8th (behind Sky 4 and Emirates Marketing Project, Aston Villa and probably Portsmouth)

Last edited:
Not when other clubs who didn't spend anything managed the exact same thing. We just went a bit OTT because we had someone decent in charge for the first time in years and years.

Not true

Those teams did not do the exact same thing nor did they spend nothing

in 06/07 (summer)

- Rovers spent 15m

- Bolton - 15m

- West Ham - 61.5m

- Villa - 22m

- Everton - 20m

- Saudi Sportswashing Machine - 27m (and 53m the season after)

- Spurs - 53m

Last edited:
Jol. I think that getting the team that he had at his disposal to finish fifth in 2006 was tougher than Redknapp getting his team finishing fourth in 2010 or 2012.

That said, Redknapp runs him a close second for me. He brought an immediate improvement when he took over from Ramos and he identified the weaknesses in the squad and filled them well. Finishing fourth was an excellent achievement and the Champions League run was brilliant. All that and he had the team playing the best football we've seen in a long time. I just wish he could keep his gob shut.

05/06 First X1

--------------------------------------Robinson--------------------------------------

Stalteri--------------------Dawson---------------King--------------------------Lee

lennon---------------------jenas---------------Carrick-------------------------Davids/tainio

-----------------------------Mido--------------Keane-----------------------------------

06/07 First X1

------------------------------------Robinson------------------------------------

Chimbonda----------------Dawson----------King--------------------Lee/Ekotto

Lennon------------------Zokora------------Davids/Jenas-------------Malbranque

-----------------------------Berbatov---------Keane------------------------------

vs

09/10 team

-------------------------------------------------Gomes---------------------------------------------------

Corluka-----------------------Dawson---------------------King----------------------------------Ekotto

lennon-------------------------Palacios-----------------Huddlestone----------------------------Modric

---------------------------------Keane/Defoe------------Crouch-----------------------------------------

I do not agree that achieving 5th place finishes in those 2 seasons was harder then 4th place finish with the 09/10 squad. In fact i think you're way way off the mark considering we also had Emirates Marketing Project and their endless transfer kitty around too.

9/10 tinkles all over the rest bar Berbatov

Why did you omit Bale from it by the way - he alone contributed 12-15 points in the last 15 odd games when Arry found out he existed.

Emirates Marketing Project had Sparky back then who was busy stockpiling the likes of Santa-Cruz and Bellamy

Last edited:
- Gomes 09/10 - top of the fold

- Palacios 09/10 > Zokora and Jenas combined

- Lennon - matured

- Bale >>>>>>>>>>>> Malbranque

- Hudd 09/10 > Jenas

- BAE 09/10 > Lee (LOL)

- Corluka 09/10 > Chimbonda/Stalteri

- Modric alone counts for 3 players anyway

Last edited:
9/10 tinkles all over the rest bar Berbatov

Why did you omit Bale from it either - he alone contributed 12-15 points in the last 15 odd games when Arry found out he existed

In your opinion of course.

In my opinion we first have to take into consideration the inclusion of Emirates Marketing Project and their never ending money. Then you have to see the strike force we had then compared to the one's above. At the time keane and berbatov were the best strike force in the league by a distance imo and Crouch was probably a mid table striker (And i liked him). Then there's King being fitter,faster, just a better player then.

Nah for me finishing 4th with that squad is a far better achievement than finishing 5th with the 06/07 squad.

Not true

Those teams did not do the exact same thing nor did they spend nothing

in 06/07 (summer)

- Rovers spent 15m

- Bolton - 15m

- West Ham - 61.5m

- Villa - 22m

- Everton - 20m

- Saudi Sportswashing Machine - 27m (and 53m the season after)

- Spurs - 53m

Ipswich finished 5th? West Ham 5th? Nevermind spending, West Ham were probably in the black over that period. All the rest were in and around the top 6 and/or qualified for Europe. And I seriously doubt some of those figures are net spends. Everton 29m in one summer? Maybe the year they sold Rooney, which would have covered some of it but ordinarily, no way.

- Gomes 09/10 - top of the fold

- Palacios 09/10 > Zokora and Jenas combined

- Lennon - matured

- Bale >>>>>>>>>>>> Malbranque

- Hudd 09/10 > Jenas

- BAE 09/10 > Lee (LOL)

- Corluka 09/10 > Chimbonda/Stalteri

- Modric alone counts for 3 players anyway

Bale broke through half way through the season and half his games was at left back anyway and not sure what's "lol" about Lee.

Ipswich?

You made reference to big Sam and how Jol has finished above him because the former had no money

Everton last 7-8 seasons starting this year

- 16m
- 6m
- 2m
- 21m
- 21m
- 29m
- 20m

Bale broke through half way through the season and half his games was at left back anyway and not sure what's "lol" about Lee.

Bale was a cruical part of that team and contributed massive points for us - not a chance can you leave him out from that team - without him we wouldn't have finished anywhere near 4th

People seem to think that Lee was one of the worst players to ever wear a Spurs shirt. When truth is that though he wasn't brilliant, he wasn't awful.

Bale was a cruical part of that team and contributed massive points for us - not a chance can you leave him out from that team - without him we wouldn't have finished anywhere near 4th

Yes he had a great end of the season. I mean we were top 4 before he got into the team but i agree he did add something.

so half a season it was

lennon-------------------Palacios----------------Huddlestone-----------------Modric

and then it's

lennon---------------huddlestone-----------modric--------------Bale

that's when he wasn't at LB.

In your opinion of course.

In my opinion we first have to take into consideration the inclusion of Emirates Marketing Project and their never ending money. Then you have to see the strike force we had then compared to the one's above. At the time keane and berbatov were the best strike force in the league by a distance imo and Crouch was probably a mid table striker (And i liked him). Then there's King being fitter,faster, just a better player then.

Nah for me finishing 4th with that squad is a far better achievement than finishing 5th with the 06/07 squad.

But we just went player by player and discovered that is not really the case. Players like Modric and Bale were massive - how can we compare those to Jenas and Malbranque

Emirates Marketing Project didn't have so many great players yet during the Sparky years - here's the team we defeated 1:0 at the Wastelands

38 Fulop
03 Bridge
05 Zabaleta
28 Kolo Toure
33 Kompany
11 A Johnson (Wright-Phillips 71)
18 Barry (Vieira 57)
34 De Jong
25 Adebayor
32 Tevez
39 Bellamy (Santa Cruz 84)

Apart from Tevez and Kompany - compare the rest to their current array of world class units

People seem to think that Lee was one of the worst players to ever wear a Spurs shirt. When truth is that though he wasn't brilliant, he wasn't awful.

Defensively him and BAE are comparable but he came short in just about every other aspect, imv. And I rate BAE as a 6.5/10 player on average.

Last edited:
Back