• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who is the best Spurs manager/coach of the Premier League era?

Who is the best Spurs manager/coach of the Premier League era?

• Total voters
West Ham had one of the best teams in the country at that time - even Hartson was a threat.

Portsmouth only did what they did by 'doing a Leeds'.

And with Spurs he had a couple of below par finishes and one which was about right for the squad in hand (when the performances of those around us are taken into account).

You mean Hartson who Redknapp signed?

Pompey did spend money but they still went to Old Trafford and won a quarter final along the way and as I said before, won a trophy that the big 4 had dominated for years.

So he doesnt get credit for the players who flourished under him?

Once again, see the post above. I went through each name you and Arc mentioned. I said he did a bad job with Bent, Corluka and Kranjcar. I'm not having it that he alienated Gomes, he publicly backed him no matter how many fudge ups he made!

from me? i give him credit for getting the best out of some players for sure - though i do think some people go a little OTT with some of the praise, especially when talking about Bale - it's as though he wasn't one of the hottest young talents in the country when we signed him for 10 million quid as an 18 (?) year old and that him getting better with regular game time is some kind of act of genius. but yea he got the best out of plenty of our players, some others not so much and he definitely struggled to see past a core group of players who he relied heavily on and seemed to not put any faith in the rest of the squad - resulting in useful players getting alienated on the sidelines and over worked first team players suffering towards the end of the season (twice)

in summary he done well here, got plenty right but also at the same time got plenty of avoidable things wrong

Last edited:
I'm happy to admit my dislike for Redknapp and just about everything about him.

That doesn't change my opinion of his ability as a manager though.

A truly good manager would have:

Finished 3rd with last season's squad when only two other teams turned up in the league for most of the season.
Aimed for a comfortably achievable 3rd until 4th was guaranteed to qualify for the CL.
Continued to work hard at league results rather than thinking that half a good season is enough on his CV.
Avoided alienating useful squad players especially given his penchant for ageing players with large agents fees.
Realised that Nelson and Saha are not professional footballers.
Found out a way to break down stubborn teams.
At least come up with a good excuse for Chimbonda when we had more right backs than any team could ever want.
Put in place some kind of forward thinking so that our performances didn't rely on keeping our best players.
Come up with a system that meant we didn't need moments of individual brilliance to win.
Fired up the team enough to beat some relative minnows a Wembley.

There is so much factually incorrect in those statements that I am genuinely astounded!

You mean Hartson who Redknapp signed?

Pompey did spend money but they still went to Old Trafford and won a quarter final along the way and as I said before, won a trophy that the big 4 had dominated for years.

I'm shocked that it seems that many have a great deal of bitterness towards Redknapp on here and it comes across like they actually hated we had any success under him. Strange.

I'm shocked that it seems that many have a great deal of bitterness towards Redknapp on here and it comes across like they actually hated we had any success under him. Strange.

Whilst that statement's wrong, doesn't the dislike of Redknapp tell you something about him?

Nobody here (to my knowledge) hates any of our managers other than Graham (for obvious reasons). Doesn't that suggest to you that there must be something about Redknapp? We've had upwards of 20 managers/partnerships since I started supporting Spurs and of them, only the arch-gooner has been hated by Spurs fans.

Much of that club's success at the time was down to the academy - as was shown when they were all sold.

It really wasn't. Here is the squad the year they finished 5th:

12 Shaka Hislop (Hammer of the Year) GK 37 0 2 0 2 0 July 1998 Saudi Sportswashing Machine
15 Rio Ferdinand CB 31 0 1 0 1 0 November 1995 Academy
19 Ian Pearce CB 33 0 1 0 2 0 September 1997 Blackburn Rovers
6 Neil Ruddock CB 27 0 2 0 1 0 July 1998 Liverpool
8 Trevor Sinclair RM 36 7 2 2 January 1998 Queens Park Rangers
11 Steve Lomas (captain) CM 30 2 March 1997 Emirates Marketing Project
18 Frank Lampard CM 38 5 1 1 2 July 1995 Academy
7 Marc Keller LM 17+4 5 0 0 1 0 July 1998 Karlsruher
29 Eyal Berkovic AM 28+2 3 1+1 1 June 1997 Southampton F.C.
10 John Hartson CF 16+1 4 2 1 February 1997 Arsenal
14 Ian Wright CF 20+2 9 1 2 August 1998 Arsenal
Important players
10 Paolo Di Canio CF 12+1 4 January 1999 Sheffield Wednesday
20 Scott Minto LWB 14+1 January 1999 Benfica
9 Paul Kitson CF 13+4 3 February 1997 Saudi Sportswashing Machine
13 Marc-Vivien Foé CM 13 January 1999 Lens
4 Steve Potts CB 11+8 1 2 May 1984 Academy
17 Stan Lazaridis LWB 11+4 2 1 September 1995 West Adelaide
3 Julian dingdongs D 9 2 1 1 October 1994 Liverpool
16 John Moncur CM 6+8 1 June 1994 Swindon Town

So apart from Ferdinand/Lampard, nearly all the rest signed by him.

I'm happy to admit my dislike for Redknapp and just about everything about him.

That doesn't change my opinion of his ability as a manager though.

A truly good manager would have:

Finished 3rd with last season's squad when only two other teams turned up in the league for most of the season.
Aimed for a comfortably achievable 3rd until 4th was guaranteed to qualify for the CL.
Continued to work hard at league results rather than thinking that half a good season is enough on his CV.
Avoided alienating useful squad players especially given his penchant for ageing players with large agents fees.
Realised that Nelson and Saha are not professional footballers.
Found out a way to break down stubborn teams.
At least come up with a good excuse for Chimbonda when we had more right backs than any team could ever want.
Put in place some kind of forward thinking so that our performances didn't rely on keeping our best players.
Come up with a system that meant we didn't need moments of individual brilliance to win.
Fired up the team enough to beat some relative minnows a Wembley.

It's fairly obvious that it does. Even posters like Wriggly who hated Redknapp admitted that he was a great manager for us and signed some good players.

Of course he alienated players, but newsflash, every manager does at some point in his career. Even Fergie alienated Beckham, Stam, Van Nistelrooy and Tevez.

Re: Nelsen and Saha. Who did you expect him to sign when it's clear that we always operated on a tight budget and Levy never fully backed him?

Re: Breaking down stubborn teams. Granted some of the results were poor but AVB has also struggled in this regard. West Brom, Norwich, Wigan = 2 points. Don't you in the very least have to give him credit for beating the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea in 09/10? They were better teams than us hands down, that cannot be argued. Does he not deserve credit for winning away at Arsenal? We hadn't done that in 17 years! Or for winning at the San Siro at the home of the 7 time European champions? Or for beating the CL holders?

That Portsmouth semi final was poor I accept that. But that doesn't wipe out all of the good results he achieved.

It really wasn't. Here is the squad the year they finished 5th:

12 Shaka Hislop (Hammer of the Year) GK 37 0 2 0 2 0 July 1998 Saudi Sportswashing Machine
15 Rio Ferdinand CB 31 0 1 0 1 0 November 1995 Academy
19 Ian Pearce CB 33 0 1 0 2 0 September 1997 Blackburn Rovers
6 Neil Ruddock CB 27 0 2 0 1 0 July 1998 Liverpool
8 Trevor Sinclair RM 36 7 2 2 January 1998 Queens Park Rangers
11 Steve Lomas (captain) CM 30 2 March 1997 Emirates Marketing Project
18 Frank Lampard CM 38 5 1 1 2 July 1995 Academy
7 Marc Keller LM 17+4 5 0 0 1 0 July 1998 Karlsruher
29 Eyal Berkovic AM 28+2 3 1+1 1 June 1997 Southampton F.C.
10 John Hartson CF 16+1 4 2 1 February 1997 Arsenal
14 Ian Wright CF 20+2 9 1 2 August 1998 Arsenal
Important players
10 Paolo Di Canio CF 12+1 4 January 1999 Sheffield Wednesday
20 Scott Minto LWB 14+1 January 1999 Benfica
9 Paul Kitson CF 13+4 3 February 1997 Saudi Sportswashing Machine
13 Marc-Vivien Foé CM 13 January 1999 Lens
4 Steve Potts CB 11+8 1 2 May 1984 Academy
17 Stan Lazaridis LWB 11+4 2 1 September 1995 West Adelaide
3 Julian dingdongs D 9 2 1 1 October 1994 Liverpool
16 John Moncur CM 6+8 1 June 1994 Swindon Town

So apart from Ferdinand/Lampard, nearly all the rest signed by him.

Could have sworn Joe "needs Velcro shoes" Cole was in tha squad.

You have to take the PL at the time into account too though. Aside from the top 3, you put Ferdinand and Lampard into any of the mid-table teams and I think they'd have finished 5th.

Whilst that statement's wrong, doesn't the dislike of Redknapp tell you something about him?

Nobody here (to my knowledge) hates any of our managers other than Graham (for obvious reasons). Doesn't that suggest to you that there must be something about Redknapp? We've had upwards of 20 managers/partnerships since I started supporting Spurs and of them, only the arch-gooner has been hated by Spurs fans.

What does his personality have to do with his ability as a manager?

Why don't you share the reason as to why it is you detest him so much.

You have to take the PL at the time into account too though. Aside from the top 3, you put Ferdinand and Lampard into any of the mid-table teams and I think they'd have finished 5th.

Nice way to dodge the question. He pointed out all of the players he signed, which proved you wrong about it being all down to their academy.

Well, it is novelty to hear someone defend his time but I can't agree. We were heading for our 2nd relegation battle in two years. Just not on with the quality had he available. And I wouldn't just blame his sacking on football ignorant people on the board. It is worth remembering that the fans were banging on the team coach after 0-3 at Notts County and were calling for him to go. It wasn't right but most of the support had turned on him by that stage too.

His time was in the shadows of Irving Scholar and the financial irregularities which led to a 1.5 million pounds fine by the
FA.
The Venables - Sugar court case split the squad.
12 points deductions for not having the ground building works completed .
The Venables loving press were against the club . An Argentinean given the chance to succeed at an english football club post Falklands and Maradona's hand of GHod still fresh in the memory with the fleet street rags and Sky Sports .
They were Different times.

Anyway, Sugar I blame for the subsequent managerial appointments that led to our dismal years thereafter. You don't appoint a football manager with a play it on the surface ethos, to one supported by, Tony Pulis' pal, Gerry Francis, its just to chalk and cheese. You certainly don't hire George Graham either. After Ossie, having fired him is where I believe the rot set in and from being the entertainers a club full of enterprise , we allowed the Chav's and Goons to get ahead of us in that regard.

Sure the results weren't great and at times scary but in his last game as manager, we ripped West Ham apart with brilliant football at the Lane 3-1 with the fans going home jubilant. I'm sure the league position when he were sacked was not that bad , certainly not showing relegation form like the second half to the previous season.

Overall, Harry has been our most successful manager premeirship points wise but I do believe to this day, that a chance was missed with Ossie and Stevie and that had they been given 5 years, that they would've taken us to higher heights than any of the other managers listed and that's why I have voted for him.

Nice way to dodge the question. He pointed out all of the players he signed, which proved you wrong about it being all down to their academy.

Not really - the two best players in that team were from the academy. Two players that would have been the difference between mid-table and 5th for quite a few teams - us included probably.

Very doubtful. Only Liverpool and Villa in 6th and 7th would have had anything like comparable talent and they had considerably more clout that West Ham in the first place!

Lampard and Ferdinand were 19/20 in the season Wham finished 5th. They were nowhere near the players they developed into.

I have to admit I haven't met any Spurs fan at the Lane or any I have met in passing, who have a dislike for Redknapp. Not really sure why certain posters on this forum have such a different view.

I have to admit I haven't met any Spurs fan at the Lane or any I have met in passing, who have a dislike for Redknapp. Not really sure why certain posters on this forum have such a different view.

People like to be right. On forums they post opinions. Fans on forums never back down. Many fans didn't like Redknapp or think he was good enough for SPurs. By proving them so wrong, they resent him. They will deny it, but there are good number of Spurs "fans" on message boards that would rather see us being average without Redknapp as our manager than successful with him. They can't admit this to themselves, let alone other fans, so they create insanely rubbish argument to discredit him.

If we struggle under AVB, there will be zero chance that any Redknapp bashers will revise their opinions. They will just come up with a long list of reasons why AVB failed, in the same way the come up with long lists of reasons why Redknapp had success despite him being rubbish. It happened post Jol. There were no Martin Jol apology threads on any Spurs forums after the Ramos debacle. Message board posters just aren't like that. They wont even consider that their criticisms of Jol/Redknapp were misplaced. It's not about football, it's about ego. Redknapp damaged a lot of egos.

People like to be right. On forums they post opinions. Fans on forums never back down. Many fans didn't like Redknapp or think he was good enough for SPurs. By proving them so wrong, they resent him. They will deny it, but there are good number of Spurs "fans" on message boards that would rather see us being average without Redknapp as our manager than successful with him. They can't admit this to themselves, let alone other fans, so they create insanely rubbish argument to discredit him.

If we struggle under AVB, there will be zero chance that any Redknapp bashers will revise their opinions. They will just come up with a long list of reasons why AVB failed, in the same way the come up with long lists of reasons why Redknapp had success despite him being rubbish. It happened post Jol. There were no Martin Jol apology threads on any Spurs forums after the Ramos debacle. Message board posters just aren't like that. They wont even consider that their criticisms of Jol/Redknapp were misplaced. It's not about football, it's about ego. Redknapp damaged a lot of egos.

If that's true then it's very sad. I've seen that at matches about players. Certain fans will never cut certain players a break, whilst applauding a player they do like for exactly the same level of performance that they have been slating their hated player for.

The only time I've witnessed that at the Lane over managers was Graham & Hoddle. Graham was reviled by some and that just seemed to make others love him even more. Then when he got fired and Hoddle came in a lot of those fans I knew who stuck up for Graham always seemed to do their best to find fault in anything Hoddle did as our manager. I put it down at the time as the club being frustrated and there was quite a divisive attitude among the crowd over Sugar, ENIC, Hoddle, Graham and even players like Rebrov, Anderton etc etc. It all seemed to settle down when the 2004 season started and I can't really say I've heard many major grumblings about any of our managers since. Even Ramos decisions were met more with bemusement than frustration or anger.

Joey55 - why would AVB failing mean Redknapp bashers should/would have to revise their opinions of HR? or similarly why would AVB succeeding prove them correct?

what people think of Redknapp the man, or Redknapp the manager, bares no relation to how his successor gets on.

and what makes you think all the Redknapp haters are in favor of (or wanted) AVB?

prime example of someone assuming anyone with a certain view point on one subject thinks a certain way on another, bunching people together based on your own own pre conceived ideas on what makes people tick

Last edited:
Back