• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Which is Daniel Levy's worst decision as Spurs chairman ?

Which is the worst ever decision taken by Daniel Levy as the Spurs chairman ?

• Sacking George Graham before the FA Cup semi final in 2001

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Sacking Martin Jol despite finishing in 5th for 2 years

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Sacking Harry Redknapp despite qualifying for CL

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Not signing Moutinho in the pre-season

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Not signing a striker in this transfer window

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Selling Modric

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Selling Berbatov

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Putting salary cap which prevents us buying many top players

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Always waiting until last minute to sign players

Votes: 24 34.3%
  • Others

Votes: 5 7.1%

• Total voters
poor timing/correct decision

unfortunately it was the correct decision but was poorly handled - once we appointed a new DoF there was always the chance that he and the existing head coach would not be on the same wavelength - having to replace Arnesen was an unforseen problem and the Jol/Commoli affair was a knock on effect from this

we didn't qualify for the CL, we blew a 10 point lead in 10 games and missed out on CL football because Chelsea beat Bayern in the final. he wasn't fired for not qualifying for the CL in my opinion anyhow. i back the decision fully

don't think he decided not to sign him

tried and failed

• Selling Modric
correct decision and done a good job in getting an extra season out of the player

• Selling Berbatov
probably this tbf - not so much selling Berbatov but leaving it until the last minute meaning we replaced him with Frazier fudging Campbell on loan :lol:

fully back our wage structure

always, really?

• Others
i think his worst decision so far has been the total abandonment of the DoF structure - still hoping to see someone brought in to work with AVB and Levy within the next season (preferably before this summer)

Last edited:
gonna throw another one in the mix

I think he should have given Arry an ultimatum over the England job as soon as Capello quit, come out in the press and say you don't want it, or walk

not controlling the issue was a mistake

^ yeah i thought that was the best course of action at the time - tricky situation tbf

poor timing/correct decision

unfortunately it was the correct decision but was poorly handled - once we appointed a new DoF there was always the chance that he and the existing head coach would not be on the same wavelength - having to replace Arnesen was an unforseen problem and the Jol/Commoli affair was a knock on effect from this

we didn't qualify for the CL, we blew a 10 point lead in 10 games and missed out on CL football because Chelsea beat Bayern in the final. he wasn't fired for not qualifying for the CL in my opinion anyhow. i back the decision fully

don't think he decided not to sign him

tried and failed

• Selling Modric
correct decision and done a good job in getting an extra season out of the player

• Selling Berbatov
probably this tbf - not so much selling Berbatov but leaving it until the last minute meaning we replaced him with Frazier fudging Campbell on loan :lol:

fully back our wage structure

always, really?

• Others
i think his worst decision so far has been the total abandonment of the DoF structure - still hoping to see someone brought in to work with AVB and Levy within the next season (preferably before this summer)

That remains one of his best decisions. Once again we disagree :p

Sanctioning the purchase of David Bentley for 15mil. We already had Lennon in that position ffs.

Otherwise this poll/thread is pathetic. Levy has turned this club around with sound, solid financial decisions and we now have one of the best, young squads in all of Europe. He's achieved this whilst having been handcuffed by a lower revenue stream (a 36,000 seat stadium) than all of our closest rivals and still manages to balance the books every year and is on the verge of securing financing for our new state-of-the-art stadium. Did I forget to mention the world-class training facility we have just completed?

I wouldn't say it's pathetic, I don't think any rational spurs fan thinks Levy has been anything other than brilliant, it doesn't mean we can't discuss the things we disagree with though

there are Madrid fans that criticise Ronaldo, I expect there are Barca fans who think Messi has the odd quiet game from time to time, no one is above criticism because no one is perfect

The way he sacked Jol. Fair enough if he wanted to do it, even if I didn't personally agree with the actual decision but the manner in which it was done was disgraceful. One of the very few times I've been ashamed of the club.

I think perhaps the only other thing I could possibly really criticise is the Berbatov sale. Leaving it the last moment like that and thus leaving us with Bent, a player who months before was our 3rd/4th choice, a newly bought Pav and fudging Campbell on loan really screwed us even more than we were already screwed that season.

I wouldn't say it's pathetic, I don't think any rational spurs fan thinks Levy has been anything other than brilliant, it doesn't mean we can't discuss the things we disagree with though

there are Madrid fans that criticise Ronaldo, I expect there are Barca fans who think Messi has the odd quiet game from time to time, no one is above criticism because no one is perfect

Exactly. I bet United fans are critical of Fergie from time to time.

That remains one of his best decisions. Once again we disagree :p

thought you might disagree with that one :lol:

though judging by what you seem to dislike about Levy and our transfer dealings id have thought a DoF would be right up your street . . .

Remind me; hadn't Jol had talks with Saudi Sportswashing Machine, which forced our hand towards Ramos... or did Ramos get photographed first?

For me it'd be the handling of both sacking Jol and Berbatov leaving. Also, Santini appointment? Obviously it led to Jol which I was happy with, it was just a bit strange.

The way he treated jol, if he wanted him gone not that i agreed with that but if that is what he wanted fine. But that match when we all know what was happening and jol knew he was getting sacked after it brought shame on the club.

I believe he was caught out there.

That summer, the boardroom wanted Jol sacked and Levy refused. He held out for him. But the pressure became so great that he relented in pretty undignifed and sorry fashion. Martin was never the angel some believe he was (been gone over time after time in the past), but I agree, it was shabby and very poorly handled.
Personally, I think this was much much more a case of Levy's naivety!
Frankly he should've just agreed to sack him that summer, rather than try and carry on supporting him. I know some will see this as blind protection of Levy, but all I can say is, it isn't. He simply mis-handled the entire thing.

Remind me; hadn't Jol had talks with Saudi Sportswashing Machine, which forced our hand towards Ramos... or did Ramos get photographed first?

...or had a chat or two with the Dutch? Prepare yourself Bullet, we will need tin-hats and shields in a bit here...look, Martin Jol was a wonderful breath of air for us and gave us back some dignity in the way he handled the press (in a cooler, Dutch Redknappian way). But he had his moments too. What we've said above. He certainly didn't have any qualms of conscience over what appears to have been a perfectly executed plan by Arnesen to get Santini shoved aside so as Martin could slot in...and the fact that in the end, he wasn't quite good enough.

I absolutely 100% agree that the way it went down that night was really awful (added to the 'secret talks' with Ramos which were all over the papers) and for that Levy deserves criticism, but again, if he hadn't prevaricated in the first place because he LIKED Jol (despite the Newcash and Dutch whipsers and dances) then he would never have had to pull his own pants down like that.

Let me also add (in case it isn't obvious - I know some postees will roll their eyes at this one :lol:) but I think what Daniel Levy has done for this club is absolutely fantastic, in fact, if David Blaine had done it you'd be calling him a fraud!

Boardroom magician who has certainly made the odd-mistake but who's great work far outweighs his bad for me.

Sacking Jol was a very good decision imo although the way it happened of course sucked. TBH i remember being quite happy and upbeat when Jol was gone (to bad Ramos turned into a joker).

Sacking Jol was a very good decision imo although the way it happened of course sucked. TBH i remember being quite happy and upbeat when Jol was gone (to bad Ramos turned into a joker).

Agreed, but I think we also all agree it was the manner in which it was done. But again, naivety on Levy's part, not malice. He should've just done it that summer when others in the board were banging on and on.

The way he sacked Jol. Fair enough if he wanted to do it, even if I didn't personally agree with the actual decision but the manner in which it was done was disgraceful. One of the very few times I've been ashamed of the club.

I think perhaps the only other thing I could possibly really criticise is the Berbatov sale. Leaving it the last moment like that and thus leaving us with Bent, a player who months before was our 3rd/4th choice, a newly bought Pav and fudging Campbell on loan really screwed us even more than we were already screwed that season.

Seconded. It's like a stain that won't quite wash out. The whole affair was an utter disgrace, and it will forever colour my opinion of the present regime.

Worst decision?

Creating a fan base of spoilt brats who forget just how far we've come in the last 12 years. Making so many people throw their old toys out of the pram every time we don't tinkle 15% of our turnover away on a new one that may or may not be any good.

Worst decision?

Creating a fan base of spoilt brats who forget just how far we've come in the last 12 years. Making so many people throw their old toys out of the pram every time we don't tinkle 15% of our turnover away on a new one that may or may not be any good.
Oh come on...

The way you talk anybody would think losing a home to Coventry - more than once, going home after games not knowing where the next points were coming from, being able to wear the badge made by The Spur that said "I saw Tottenham win at home", securing top flight survival by four points, getting pummelled by Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Chelsea not to mention away at Bolton in the League Cup, etc, etc, etc... were bad things...

;)

I think Levy is the best chairman in the Prem and i am a big fan of his, however the sacking of MJ and the way it was done was a disgrace.

Amazing that no one has voted "Not signing a striker" as Levy's worst decision. I can sense it could change if we don't qualify for CL this season.

Back