• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What should guarantee Sherwood a new extended contract in the summer?

Sherwood's minimum target for a contract renewal:

• Champions League qualification

Votes: 39 59.1%
  • Europa League qualification

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Winning Europa League

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Entertaining football irrespective of league position

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • No targets; we've had enough chopping and changing

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • Nothing; whatever he achieves come May will be a fluke

Votes: 5 7.6%

• Total voters
Pep Guardiola didn't. His first job was on the good ship Barca.

Barca had a system in place already though - and a good one at that.

They also had one of the top 3 players in the world for each position pretty much. I'd feel fairly confident that Timmeh could finish in the top 4 with that team.

Barca had a system in place already though - and a good one at that.

They also had one of the top 3 players in the world for each position pretty much. I'd feel fairly confident that Timmeh could finish in the top 4 with that team.

Yes that's true and you can also argue that so have Bayern. However Guardiola has "something", he seems to take these teams and make them better. I don't think Barca have been as good since he left and I believe that Bayern are better this season than last. I am not comparing TS with Guardiola, however everyone who knows him, and has seen him work thinks TS has something. Wouldn't it be brilliant if he did, and actually he was able to (and given the chance) to take us forward?

Imagine DL giving TS a chance and in 3 years time we have won a couple of pots, we are established in the Champs League and regularly competing for the EPL.

Poll update:

Total in favour of Tim continuing if he achieves at least CL or Europa qualification or entertains or even regardless: 57 (92%)
Total in favour of replacing him regardless: 5 (8%)

Yes that's true and you can also argue that so have Bayern. However Guardiola has "something", he seems to take these teams and make them better. I don't think Barca have been as good since he left and I believe that Bayern are better this season than last. I am not comparing TS with Guardiola, however everyone who knows him, and has seen him work thinks TS has something. Wouldn't it be brilliant if he did, and actually he was able to (and given the chance) to take us forward?

Imagine DL giving TS a chance and in 3 years time we have won a couple of pots, we are established in the Champs League and regularly competing for the EPL.

Levy has given him a chance, and a good team in a good position in the table, what he won't get is 3 years or likely even his 18 months ..

No amount of what ifs will change that, either TS wins Europa, qualifies for CL or comes damn close with really good performances and momentum and end of season (probably needs to get one of Soldado/Lamela firing as well) or we will probably see a new manager next season, and if that's Levy's inclination, I hope he does it over summer (not my ask) vs. 10 games into next season)

My problem with guardiola is that it's almost impossible to rate him. He took over an amazing Barcelona side and got them to win cups, which was expected of them at the time. He's now taken over the champions league winners in bayern Munich, with a team that are expected to challenge, and probably win the champions league. He can't get the team to overachieve, because they're expected to win everything. Especially more hilarious in a league where they buy players off the second place team and weaken their rivals..

I have far more respect for the managers who show they can create their own success.

My problem with guardiola is that it's almost impossible to rate him. He took over an amazing Barcelona side and got them to win cups, which was expected of them at the time. He's now taken over the champions league winners in bayern Munich, with a team that are expected to challenge, and probably win the champions league. He can't get the team to overachieve, because they're expected to win everything. Especially more hilarious in a league where they buy players off the second place team and weaken their rivals..

I have far more respect for the managers who show they can create their own success.

Yep, agree, you can't dismiss Pep's achievements, but he certainly hasn't shown he can take a side that wasn't expected to win and make them winners.

Yeah well ... reading through this thread you'd think there were almost as many anti-Sherwood as pro, but the poll suggests something else.

MY turn to laugh :ross::ross:

The poll doesn't ask if anyone likes/is pro TS, nor if they believe he is capable of any level of results.

It specifically asks what should get TS a new contract, and 60% said CL qualification (which I expect most people don't believe we will achieve)

Really, only 1 in 5 didn't put a caveat or achievement as the scenario where TS "should" get the support of the club,

It seems to me to be more of a poll on what Sherwood should achieve to meet Levys approval than the fans?

It seems to me to be more of a poll on what Sherwood should achieve to meet Levys approval than the fans?

That's how I read the question too. And with "guarantee", it's very strongly worded. The kind of wording that means "even if a world class manager becomes available Sherwood should keep the job".

I don't think anything should GUARANTEE an extended contract, but anything less than top 5 from our current position would be a failure IMO. He has to show he can improve us as a unit, regardless of how many points, because we're not playing well.

I don't think anything should GUARANTEE an extended contract, but anything less than top 5 from our current position would be a failure IMO. He has to show he can improve us as a unit, regardless of how many points, because we're not playing well.

I agree. At the end of every season we should look at everything and make a decision on where we can improve.

Back