• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What should guarantee Sherwood a new extended contract in the summer?

Sherwood's minimum target for a contract renewal:

• Champions League qualification

Votes: 39 59.1%
  • Europa League qualification

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Winning Europa League

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Entertaining football irrespective of league position

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • No targets; we've had enough chopping and changing

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • Nothing; whatever he achieves come May will be a fluke

Votes: 5 7.6%

• Total voters
I would say

-solving the north/south korean dispute
-setting up measures so we dont have to worry about flooding in the future
-Kidnapping Lamela back!...after he was stolen by oompa loompa's researching argentinian recipe's
-ensure spurs finish in the top 4
-finish off building the great wall of china!
- fit me a new fence panel after these ruddy winds!

if he can pull off all that then maybe just maybe we can let him manage our club next year....

You forgot building the stadium.

do people think that a 6 month period is enough of a time scale to truly judge a managers ability?

Im not sure it is and whilst i think id be happy for him to get the job longer term should he do well between now and the end of the season Im unsure as to whether that would be enough to put him in a stronger position than a more established manager to do well with us. in terms of risk management - giving him the ok in the summer after such a limited amount of time would still be a somewhat 'risky' move and i think i could understand the boards thinking should we look to employ someone where we think the risk would be reduced.

i think it's a really unique situation that we find ourselves in and im really torn between what i think is the correct thing to do - or if there there even is a correct choice atm

I agree with that. I think six months is too soon to really judge someone ( unless it is obvious they are an abject failure!). Particularly as they haven't had the chance to buy players and mould the squad that they want rather than just managing an inherited group of players. Personally, I think TS missed a trick by not getting in a left back and another striker in January, but he should only realistically be judged by about Christmas next year, when he had a full year in the job, a full summer window to get 'his' players in, and a full pre season to get across the way he wants to play.

I agree with that. I think six months is too soon to really judge someone ( unless it is obvious they are an abject failure!). Particularly as they haven't had the chance to buy players and mould the squad that they want rather than just managing an inherited group of players. Personally, I think TS missed a trick by not getting in a left back and another striker in January, but he should only realistically be judged by about Christmas next year, when he had a full year in the job, a full summer window to get 'his' players in, and a full pre season to get across the way he wants to play.

That's just setting ourselves up for another Di Matteo situation.

We turnover a dozen players again for someone we don't have confidence in? Another 18 months while the next guy after him beds in and overhauls the squad yet again. The next decent/undisrupted season we can expect then is circa 2016-17?

It's a pretty difficult question to answer without knowing the situation this summer.

If LvG's available then there's nothing Timmeh can do in 6 months to make him a better option. If there's nobody else available then he'll probably end up with the job no matter how badly he does.

Completely agree with that. If there's a better option out there and available in the summer, then get rid of TS and move on. By 'better option' though, I mean someone who is genuinely proven at the top level like LVG i.e. has won multiple trophies over a number of seasons. If there is no-one available who fits this description then there's no point changing to the latest flavour-of-the-month/AVB-type manager

It's a pretty difficult question to answer without knowing the situation this summer.

If LvG's available then there's nothing Timmeh can do in 6 months to make him a better option. If there's nobody else available then he'll probably end up with the job no matter how badly he does.

Really!!!!

So winning the EL and the EPL wouldn't be enough?

I know it won't happen but surely you'd appreciate the fact that 2 trophies from an unproven manager taking on a team halfway through a season would justify giving him another shot next season.

Really!!!!

So winning the EL and the EPL wouldn't be enough?

I know it won't happen but surely you'd appreciate the fact that 2 trophies from an unproven manager taking on a team halfway through a season would justify giving him another shot next season.

He should only be kept on if he's the best option available (as with any manager). If LvG is available (a manager with a long history of success) then Timmeh simply can't match that - at least not for another decade or so.

He should only be kept on if he's the best option available (as with any manager). If LvG is available (a manager with a long history of success) then Timmeh simply can't match that - at least not for another decade or so.

12 major trophies in 16 years as a league manager.

Let's now break down those trophies:
1 CL, 1 UEFA Cup, 3 Dutch Leagues and 1 Dutch Cup with Ajax in 6 seasons
2 Spanish Leagues and 1 Spanish Cup with Barcelona in 4 seasons
1 Bundesliga and 1 German Cup with Bayern in 2 season
1 Dutch league with AZ Alkmaar in 4 seasons

So in honesty out of his 12 major trophies he won 7 of them in Holland, does the Dutch league or cup really qualify as a MAJOR trophy when managing Ajax :).

Yes he has won trophies, yes he could well turn out to be a better choice than TS BUT we have also employed managers that are supposed to be top quality and they've done nothing.

So in honesty out of his 12 major trophies he won 7 of them in Holland, does the Dutch league or cup really qualify as a MAJOR trophy when managing Ajax :).

Yes he has won trophies, yes he could well turn out to be a better choice than TS BUT we have also employed managers that are supposed to be top quality and they've done nothing.

We've never in my lifetime employed a manager of the stature of LvG so there's not much point making a comparison to what we've done before. In fact, have we ever employed a manager as widely respected and decorated as LvG?

It seems that all I ever do is argue with you on here but, are you saying that no matter who our manager is we should get rid and bring in another manager with better history if they become available? Were you not one of the ones criticizing the sacking of AVB because we need some stability. Where's the stability in what you are suggesting?

nice try, i'd settle with the ones in bold and forget about the rest

A few 'cabin boys' promoted from within who went on to win league titles as manager:

Bill Nicholson (8 major trophies in total)
Bob Paisley (13 major trophies incl 3 European Cups)
Don Revie (4 major trophies with Leeds)

For every one of them there are dozens, if not hundreds, of Roy Evanses and David O'Learys.

It seems that all I ever do is argue with you on here but, are you saying that no matter who our manager is we should get rid and bring in another manager with better history if they become available? Were you not one of the ones criticizing the sacking of AVB because we need some stability. Where's the stability in what you are suggesting?

At the time nobody had any idea that the likes of LvG would be interested - anyone suggesting so would probably be laughed at. I'd take LvG over AVB any day of the week and I'd take him over 10 Timmehs.

nice try, i'd settle with the ones in bold and forget about the rest

In that case you'd settle for Frank Rijkaard or Felix Magath as manager as well then. Winning a trophy at Barcelona or Bayern is like getting laid in a *****house.

At the time nobody had any idea that the likes of LvG would be interested - anyone suggesting so would probably be laughed at. I'd take LvG over AVB any day of the week and I'd take him over 10 Timmehs.

And that's fair enough, say LVG takes over and turns us into CL regulars, then Pep (assuming you think Pep is a better manager, but if not, replace this with anyone who is) decides he's interested would you change again no matter how long LVG has been about?

And that's fair enough, say LVG takes over and turns us into CL regulars, then Pep (assuming you think Pep is a better manager, but if not, replace this with anyone who is) decides he's interested would you change again no matter how long LVG has been about?

If LvG has only been in place 6 months and no money has been spent on his players, absolutely. It's a little different if we've set up a squad in the manager's style and a new manager would require a new team. It would still be worth considering though - especially as the DoF should be keeping some kind of squad continuity.

Actually yes compared to No experience at all. Don't forget an ex-real manager won us the league Cup and who knows what next had we held on to both our strikers.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Fapatalk

We upgrade on players on a regular basis. I doubt we ever sell the 'obsolete' player for the amount it has cost us in wages and fees.

You don't settle for what you have if something better comes along at the right price. So yes, if Pep phoned up Daniel and said can I have the WHL hot seat I would do the maths.

There is a 'charachter' element in here as well. If I felt Pep was more likely to do one and leave after a season (or two) then I would have to balance that instability against what development he could bring in the mean time but if I thought he was an upgrade on LVG or Deadwood then I would be wrong not to go for him.

Back