• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What should guarantee Sherwood a new extended contract in the summer?

Sherwood's minimum target for a contract renewal:

• Champions League qualification

Votes: 39 59.1%
  • Europa League qualification

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Winning Europa League

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Entertaining football irrespective of league position

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • No targets; we've had enough chopping and changing

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • Nothing; whatever he achieves come May will be a fluke

Votes: 5 7.6%

• Total voters

Maltese Falcon

Niko Kranjcar
Three points off CL yet the speculation continues....

Tim Sherwood is playing an intriguing game with Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy.
Although Sherwood signed an 18-month deal when his caretaker role was upgraded to permanent manager after taking over from the sacked Andrea Villas-Boas, he knows his position is up for review in the summer.
But instead of saying all the right things, Sherwood is laying down subtle gauntlets with clear messages all the time.
Last week as the club bade farewell to Jermain Defoe, Sherwood stressed he resisted several players Levy and technical director Franco Baldnini had suggested to add to the squad.
Sherwood pointed out: ‘The aim should not be just to collect players but build something.’
It was a clear broadside at the club’s scattergun policy last summer after selling Gareth Bale, which in the end looked more like an attempt to stockpile assets, with an eye for future sales, rather than build a squad for success.
That seems how Sherwood sees it and his words and deeds have seen Spurs boost their chances of Champions League qualification.
In many ways he is just what Tottenham need. A modern, forward-thinking young manager with old school values of team building.
But if things don’t work out, Sherwood’s assertive authority will have impressed several other clubs who may be looking for a change of direction come the summer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...kay-return-Norwich-Sir-Tom-one-best-ever.html

Last edited:
Whether Spurs get Champions League qualification, win the UEFA Europa League, both or neither, I think Tim Sherwood has done enough to be given an extended run as Tottenham's manager for the foreseeable future.

Spurs biggest problem during the Premier League Era has been inconsistency at management level - no-one has completed four seasons with the club.

To start all over afresh once again for the 2014-15 season can only be a step backwards.

Not quitr how business works though. I think Deadwood needs to establish some sort of quality/success indicator this season. 4 years of mediocrity (not saying he is mediocre just still unproven) is no more progressive than another change in manager

The 18 month contract suggests to me top 4 isn't a requirement this season. It will be next.
If we're one of the form teams for the rest of the season then he'll have done enough. That might not achieve CL qualification, that might be out of our hands.
We've played well at times and poorly at times since Tim took over, if we find a consistency and a solid platform allowing us to play attacking football then he'll be fine, it might even get him a contact extension.
I'm glad he resisted additions to the squad, we've got to work out which of the summer signings have a future with us, still a lot more to come from most of them.

I think if there is progression. Top four was going to be a tough task especially as TS has recently taken over. I think if there is progression and he has a longer term strategy (which im sure has been discussed with Danny boy) then he should definitely be given an extended run. Lets see what happens for the next three months but as it stands now? id give him the next season as he has signed up for that

I'd like to reserve judgement until the end of the season. Roberto Di Matteo fluked the champions league, it didn't make him a good manager. I'd like to see how our football evolves, how he manages our bigger personalities, how he fares in the high pressure games.

Unfortunately levy probably doesn't have this luxury if he needs to secure a top manager early. I've written off Sherwood loads of times already, but I need to accept that he may well be the right fit for us.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine away was impressive. Would like to see more of that

Whether key players are behind him should also matter when the decision is made,
things we as fan won't know much about.

I went for the CL q option in the poll, but I'll be happy with our season no matter where we end in the Premier League if we lift the European League trophy

Even top 4 wont save him. Harry finished 4th and was sacked, and was replaced with someone with the hope of us getting.................top 4 (we wont go into the reasons he was sacked as we all know them). Sherwood is a cartaker manager, simple as that. Levy will bring in "a name" this summer, and thats that.

Voted CL qualification, but knowing Levy even that may not be enough, especially if he already has someone else lined up. DL will be aware that Sherwood has no experience of top European football management so once we're in he may be looking to land one of the big hitters to take us to the next level.

But if Sherwood can bring off something extra special like winning the Europa AND qualifying for CL, who knows, that might just do the trick. :lol:

Top 4 would guarentee it no doubt, however i don't think it's a prerequisite for getting the job. Im more interested to see how he gets the team playing, getting the best out of the players and so on - if we miss out on top 4 but show good signs of progression on the field and the way we play then that should secure him the the job for next season.

I can imagine the targets being:

- Top Four finish
- Reaching the Semis of the EL.
- Improvement on style of play and goals scored​

Have to admit that given the squad that would be fair and realistic targets.

Last edited:
i think only winning the PL will secure him the job long term......imo Levy sees TS as a stop gap until the summer when Levy will get the big name in. Levy is a tw@t

Even top 4 wont save him. Harry finished 4th and was sacked, and was replaced with someone with the hope of us getting.................top 4 (we wont go into the reasons he was sacked as we all know them). Sherwood is a cartaker manager, simple as that. Levy will bring in "a name" this summer, and thats that.

Redknapp quite clearly wasn't fired for finishing top 4 or in fact for footballing reasons at all.

Champions League or winning the Europa League and I'd keep him on. Not really because I think it would be for the best just because it seems fairest. If we did both and Levy still brought in LvG I'd be happy too though, not got too much love for Sherwood, remember him as a player too much for that.

Unless we absolutely Ramos the final 12 games of the season then he should keep the job. I'm sick of this ******** about needing a big name on big money who'll take a big pay off when we inevitably sack him in 18 months time.

There's every chance a new manager has already agreed in principal to take over in the summer, Levy has shown in the past he often has a plan in place, recent exception being the AVB sacking but something tells me he was forced to take action with that decision.

Sherwood's done pretty well, but let's not get carried away, with the quality of the squad we should be doing well, what he seems to have done is allow the players more freedom to express themselves and it's worked well so far.

Honestly right now I'd take a few years of finishing 4th, if that's Tim then fine, if not that's ok as well.

Champions League or winning the Europa League and I'd keep him on. Not really because I think it would be for the best just because it seems fairest. If we did both and Levy still brought in LvG I'd be happy too though, not got too much love for Sherwood, remember him as a player too much for that.
were you happy that AVB achieved neither and still kept his job??

he already had 18mths left on his contract, this merely changed the job title.

When he was appointed, the Dutch press was full of stories suggesting he would learn under a mentor next season in preparation for the big job full time later on. This is, essentially, a trial. And it's going quite well.

I'm thinking it's a case of top 4 or bust. The board may be swayed if the side keeps improving and give TS the pre season etc to build in.

Personally though I think DL has got someone lined up and has done for a while. Sherwood getting these results will make Levy's life harder no doubt, but I think there is an agreement with someone be that LVG or who ever.

Back