• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What should guarantee Sherwood a new extended contract in the summer?

Sherwood's minimum target for a contract renewal:

• Champions League qualification

Votes: 39 59.1%
  • Europa League qualification

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Winning Europa League

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Entertaining football irrespective of league position

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • No targets; we've had enough chopping and changing

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • Nothing; whatever he achieves come May will be a fluke

Votes: 5 7.6%

• Total voters
I think you have to look at a sum of the performances and the results. So far, we have a ground out win at Old Trafford, St Mary's, at home to Everton which show mettle. Away to Saudi Sportswashing Machine, we're starting to see some of the sparkle. Disappointments on the other hand include a damp squid of a NLD in the FA Cup, and a thrashing against a team who, on their day, hammer anyone. Realistically, I think if Tim managed to continue this excellent win-ratio, forgiving maybe two slip ups against Arsenal/Chelsea/Liverpool then I think he has shown that he is a safe and stable pair of hands, and can establish a firm foundation on which to build.

I'm not suggesting that we settle for this either, but to me Sherwood will then have settled the ship enough to try and push us on his way. He hasn't yet spent any money. He hasn't been able to kick anyone out. Position is misleading in someways as fourth is harder this year since 2009. Fifth but with performances above should see him safely keep the job. But sacking him if we get fourth would be as ridiculous as Chelski with Di Matteo

I can imagine the targets being:
- Top Four finish
- Reaching the Semis of the EL.
- Improvement on style of play and goals scored - Check

Have to admit that given the squad that would be fair and realistic targets.

one out of three so far, that's not bad.

I have to say I was sceptical of Timmy but he's doing ok. He seems to have picked a side that he likes, and is mostly sticking with it. He's got us going forward better, scoring more goals per game and I think conceding less as well.

I'm frankly sick of us changing manager every six months and having to start again each time. We've got a good group at the moment, we only need 3 or 4 additions and we can be challenging for honours. It's about time that Levy gave a manager a chance, gave him the money to get in the players he wants and not just assets for future sale and see what happens. Currently I believe we've had the most managers in the premier league, up there with Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Chelski which isn't great company to be keeping! We need to take a leaf out of the pikeys up the roads book. Get a manager and keep him for years and let him build a good team over the years. It won't happen over night unless you have billions, and we don't.

...and a win for the following ten games would set a new club record for most consecutive wins in the league, most points after 38 games, most points in a season. And hopefully guarantee us top 4 and keep Tim in a job ;)

...and a win for the following ten games would set a new club record for most consecutive wins in the league, most points after 38 games, most points in a season. And hopefully guarantee us top 4 and keep Tim in a job ;)

I didn't want to get too far ahead of myself!

CL qualification seems to be the target for whoever is in charge these days, so should be for Sherwood too. Perhaps he should get some leeway since he started mid-season, but Villas Boas had got us off to a decent start so he wasn't exactly 2 points 8 games. He shouldn't get any leeway for it being his first senior management post though.

Personally I'd also be OK with a UEFA win though, I want to see Spurs win stuff, been too long.

I wanted a mixture of the choices but picked "NoTargets: we have had enough chopping and changing". What I want is for our team to be stable. Playing some good progressive football, attractive at the same time would also be good and looking like we can do something next season. If we get Champion league football then great of course. But if not i want to see that we are moving in the right direction for next season. So some good football with good results and hopefully looking more and more fluid and solid as the rest of this season passes and Tim gets more assured in his position.

I wanted all these things for AVB as well but it did not work out. I will go on record that I do not want us to hire Louis Van Gaal, but would not be against hiring De Boer. I suppose in my mind what i want is a young ish progressive coach who will get us playing good football, with some tactical nouse and be able to stay with us for the long term. AVB ticked these boxes, Tim can to although i was against his appointment now he is in the job i want him to do the best he can for our club.

Top 4 would guarentee it no doubt, however i don't think it's a prerequisite for getting the job. Im more interested to see how he gets the team playing, getting the best out of the players and so on - if we miss out on top 4 but show good signs of progression on the field and the way we play then that should secure him the the job for next season.

I agree with this. Lets see some progression and then evaluate.

Easy, Champions League qualification. That was the board's target for AVB at the beginning of the season and as soon as it became apparent that that was unlikely under him, the board made the change to someone who they felt could achieve the target. Anything less and Sherwood will go the same way.

Not keeping his job if he gets us CL football would be very harsh for sure.

Football is harsh sometimes though and you don't always get what you deserve. To be "safe" I think he has to do even better than "just" getting us CL football. Particularly if big names are available.

I'm still hoping that he's agreed to moving down a peg come the summer and work under someone with more experience as a learning experience with a view to most likely getting the job after that person down the line.

I would say

-solving the north/south korean dispute
-setting up measures so we dont have to worry about flooding in the future
-Kidnapping Lamela back!...after he was stolen by oompa loompa's researching argentinian recipe's
-ensure spurs finish in the top 4
-finish off building the great wall of china!
- fit me a new fence panel after these ruddy winds!

if he can pull off all that then maybe just maybe we can let him manage our club next year....

Not keeping his job if he gets us CL football would be very harsh for sure.

Football is harsh sometimes though and you don't always get what you deserve. To be "safe" I think he has to do even better than "just" getting us CL football. Particularly if big names are available.

I'm still hoping that he's agreed to moving down a peg come the summer and work under someone with more experience as a learning experience with a view to most likely getting the job after that person down the line.

Let me ask you then...

If you were Timmy and you had just achieved CL qualification at the expense of Man Utd and Liverpool, would you accept "moving down a peg"?

Let me ask you then...

If you were Timmy and you had just achieved CL qualification at the expense of Man Utd and Liverpool, would you accept "moving down a peg"?

If the option was getting booted and go hunting for a new job like DiMatteo for example with very little experience and the entire footballing world knowing full well that I only got that one big job because of very specific circumstances at the club most likely at best having to accept some job at a mid table struggler where the vast majority of managers fail within a couple of years anyway then yeah. Particularly if there was an understanding that the Spurs job could be mine a couple of seasons down the line and that the chairman rated me highly.

If I could chose between stepping down a level and keeping the first team job then it would have course be much harder. That choice isn't his, or at least not entirely in his hands though.

Sherwood is still young for a manager, he could have a great, successful, lucrative career ahead of him if things go right for him. What will be the deciding factor for that isn't if he's Spurs manager come August. It's how he does whenever he is given an extended stint at a club, having experience under a top class manager until then could actually be a deciding factor.

For me I don't think it matters one jot how Sherwood does, ultimately it will come down to if a big name on the world stage puts his name forward for the job... like LVG. When he was mentioned and he spoke to the media about us.. it gave me goosebumps. Should that happen Sherwood should bite of our hands if offered a #2 job.. Great to learn under someone like him IMO.

Last edited:
For me I don't think it matters one jot how Sherwood does, ultimately it will come down to if a big name on the world stage puts his name forward for the job... like LVG. When he was mentioned and he spoke to the media about us.. it gave me goosebumps. Should that happen Sherwood should bite of our hands if offered a #2 job.. Great to learn under someone like him IMO.

A top 4 finish would certainly put TS on the top of the list for the next England manager. Top 4 finish and EL final would skyrocket TS as the next young thing. Hard to see TS accepting a second fiddle role should he accomplish either of those.

do people think that a 6 month period is enough of a time scale to truly judge a managers ability?

Im not sure it is and whilst i think id be happy for him to get the job longer term should he do well between now and the end of the season Im unsure as to whether that would be enough to put him in a stronger position than a more established manager to do well with us. in terms of risk management - giving him the ok in the summer after such a limited amount of time would still be a somewhat 'risky' move and i think i could understand the boards thinking should we look to employ someone where we think the risk would be reduced.

i think it's a really unique situation that we find ourselves in and im really torn between what i think is the correct thing to do - or if there there even is a correct choice atm

A top 4 finish would certainly put TS on the top of the list for the next England manager. Top 4 finish and EL final would skyrocket TS as the next young thing. Hard to see TS accepting a second fiddle role should he accomplish either of those.
Well I think AVB would have got us top 4, and done well in the Europa league. Unfortunately, as I am reminded on here so often.. Football is a business and should a name like LVG offer his services then the club has to listen no matter as I said what happens this year.

do people think that a 6 month period is enough of a time scale to truly judge a managers ability?

Im not sure it is and whilst i think id be happy for him to get the job longer term should he do well between now and the end of the season Im unsure as to whether that would be enough to put him in a stronger position than a more established manager to do well with us. in terms of risk management - giving him the ok in the summer after such a limited amount of time would still be a somewhat 'risky' move and i think i could understand the boards thinking should we look to employ someone where we think the risk would be reduced.

i think it's a really unique situation that we find ourselves in and im really torn between what i think is the correct thing to do - or if there there even is a correct choice atm

It's an interesting question and one I keep asking myself.

One of the things that I keep coming back to is when Chelsea kept Di Matteo on after the Champions League win because I was certain that he wasn't up to the job long term. If I was going to see a difference between the two of them, Di Matteo reverted to pre-AVB Chelsea tactics that had been successful in the past with largely the same squad. Whereas, I do not think that Sherwood has done that with us. I also do not agree with the argument that he has ****ed about for eight games and then gone back to AVB's blueprint.

I think that Sherwood has shown a development in tactics/approach whilst he has been in charge and I think that we are only just beginning to see what a Sherwood Spurs team will look like. I think that he has been bold with selections and very bold in refusing new players in January. I also think that, the Hull game apart, he has shown a willingness to change things in game and react to games that are not going as planned.

I think that Sherwood has done a good job so far and is improving. Does that mean he is the right person to start next season in charge? I do not know. I guess that we have to trust Levy and Baldini who will see a lot more of his work and have a better idea of where he wants to take the club. It's tricky though, when a name like LvG gets thrown into the mix, you have to sit up and take notice because there are only a handful of managers in the world with a record to match his.

Back