• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What if football was all fixed.

Paxtonloudmouth

Michael Brown
If it turned out that football was riddled with corruption and that most games were fixed,would you stop watching it? Would you lose all interest,or would you still be entertained by the drama ?

Results sort of make you feel like it is all fixed. The amount of coincidental things that happen in football is ridiculous.

I have no doubt it happens on occasion but I'm sure it's mostly straight, if I thought otherwise I'd give up on the pro game and follow the local team instead.

You mean it isnt already??

I mean in terms of match results being fixed. Of course there is obvious corruption within the game on a governing level. World cups in Qatar and Russia for example.

I am just asking if it is the drama of football that keeps us coming back to it,or the sport itself.

Joking apart, if it came out that results were being fixed on a regular basis, I probably would go back to watching Rugby League.
I stopped going to watch Warrington when the club appeared to have gained a drink and drug culture among some of the players. In some games the players appeared to throw the towel in and on one occasion a player turned round to a fan behind me and blatantly stated they didnt get paid anymore for scoring 50 than they do for just scraping a win.

Those players have passed through and the club now has a great coach and are back up there, but currently all my spare cash goes on watching Tottenham and as long as the sport appears 'clean' in most aspects I'll stick with it.

I am only interested in football now. I think all other sports are bent. Any contest between 2 people will be open to manipulation. I have had a few carve ups myself playing pool and snooker.

The lower levels of football are probably bent, too.

Last edited:
I am only interested in football now. I think all other sports are bent. Any contest between 2 people will be open to manipulation. I have had a few carve ups myself playing pool and snooker.

The lower levels of football are probably bent, too.

Why do you think football is not ? See I don't think The Ashes cricket is bent but who knows. Still enjoy it though.

Would hurt my interest for sure. If there were individual games here and there, some betting syndicate stuff, the occasional bribe for a team to get the result they needed that would be bad, but I would get over it. If was a real systematic problem throughout the sport it would be much worse.

Would hurt my interest for sure. If there were individual games here and there, some betting syndicate stuff, the occasional bribe for a team to get the result they needed that would be bad, but I would get over it. If was a real systematic problem throughout the sport it would be much worse.

Would you stop watching Tottenham though?

I see where you are coming from but there are too many people involved in the top echelons of football for the big games to be bent.

I mean remember the feed the monkey comments. Grobellar was on £3 k a week and was tempted by £10k. What sort of money would have to be offered today?
But lower down the line there could be a bit of collusion.

Interesting stuff you were saying about the RL.

The dead rubber games you have to worry about.

In Italy I think corruption is kinda expected.

Results sort of make you feel like it is all fixed. The amount of coincidental things that happen in football is ridiculous.

The funny thing about coincidence is that it would be a massive coincidence if coincidence did not happen regularly.

I think there is a possibility that outcomes are fixed for all games. How games get to those outcomes is entertainment. Pretty much like wrestling.

Take last year and going into the season many people thought that UTD were terribly under strength. They pretty much walk the league, only for there historic boss to retire. This year with the same team they are mid-table.

:-k

I think there is a possibility that outcomes are fixed for all games. How games get to those outcomes is entertainment. Pretty much like wrestling.

Take last year and going into the season many people thought that UTD were terribly under strength. They pretty much walk the league, only for there historic boss to retire. This year with the same team they are mid-table.

:-k

Does that not bother you ?

Yes, of course it does.

People say, but someone would talk, and I say to them.. Yeah Hansie Cronje talked..

i suspect most of us (me included) love the game so much that as long as the evidence isn't conclusive, we will continue to watch it, hanging on to the shred of hope that the game isn't bent.

regarding drugs tho, i personally do not care that much about its use in sports. i guess this is because i believe that drug use is rife in a number of sports anyway. and unlike fixed-matches, the excitment of "genuine" competition is still there for me.

On a side note, i doubt "many" games in the premier league have been fixed. although i would be very surprised if there has never been a fixed premier league game. but i suspect spot fixing is a relatively common thing (i.e i would guess it happens a handful of times every season).

i suspect it would be interesting if we re-watched and analysed the games of (former) epl players who we know to have had gambling and bankruptcy issues. i wouldn't be surprised if there were some intriguing occurences in games involving michael chopra for example.

* if this post is libelous, please delete mods

Last edited:
Back