• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What if football was all fixed.

didn't le tissier say he was involved in match fixing in the earlier Prem days? something like had some money on a throw in within the first 15 seconds or something so when he kicked off he tried to misplace a pass to go out for a throw in and it turned out to be a good pass or something similar.

didn't le tissier say he was involved in match fixing in the earlier Prem days? something like had some money on a throw in within the first 15 seconds or something so when he kicked off he tried to misplace a pass to go out for a throw in and it turned out to be a good pass or something similar.

Claus Lundekvam alluded to the same practice on Norwegian TV.

Found the link:

Former England footballer Matthew Le Tissier played a central role in an attempted betting scam 14 years ago.

The midfielder, who scored 162 goals for Southampton during an illustrious 16 year career, plotted to deliberately kick the ball out in a 1995 match.

But he failed miserably when his trusty right foot let him down.

Le Tissier colluded with friends who placed a spread bet on the time of the first throw-in during a Premier League game against Wimbledon.

Along with a team-mate, he devised a plan to send the ball into touch from the kick-off and beat the bookmakers who were predicting it would take nearly a minute for it to go out.

Le Tissier, in his heyday at the time and earning £4,000 a week, would have landed around £10,000 if the scam had come off.

But bizarrely for a player blessed with his natural ability, he fluffed his attempt and missed a bumper payday.

'Spread betting had just started to become popular. It was a new idea which allowed punters to back anything from the final score to the first throw-in,' he says in his autobiography Taking Le Tiss.

'There was a lot of money to be made by exploiting it. We were safe from the threat of relegation when we went to Wimbledon on April 17 and, as it was a televised match, there was a wide range of bets available.

'Obviously I'd never have done anything that might have affected the outcome of the match, but I couldn't see a problem with making a few quid on the time of the first throw-in.

'My team-mate had some friends with spread-betting accounts who laid some big bets for us. We stood to win well into four figures but if it went wrong we could have lost a lot of money.'
Matt Le Tissier playing for Southampton in 1998

Le Tissier, now a Sky TV pundit following a playing career in which he made 443 appearances and scored 162 goals for Southampton between 1986 and 2002 and won eight England caps, added: 'The plan was for us to kick the ball straight into touch at the start of the game and then collect 56 times our stake. Easy money.

'It was set up nicely. The ball was to be rolled back to me and I would smash it into touch. It seemed to be going like clockwork. We kicked off, the ball was tapped to me and I went to hit it out towards Neil Shipperley on the left wing.

'As it was live on television I didn't want to make it too obvious or end up looking like a prat for miscuing the ball so I tried to hit it just over his head. But with so much riding on it I was a bit nervous and didn't give it quite enough welly.

'The problem was that Shipperley knew nothing about the bet and managed to reach it and even head it back into play.

'I have never run so much in my life. If there had been Pro Zone analysis back then my stats would have been amazing for the next minute as I charged around the pitch desperately trying to kick the ball out of play.

'Suddenly it was no longer a question of winning money. We stood to lose a lot of cash if it went much longer than 75 seconds before the ball went out.

'I had visions of guys coming to kneecap me. Eventually we got the ball out on 70 seconds. The neutral time meant we had neither won nor lost. I have never tried spread betting since.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dmits-10-000-Premier-League-betting-scam.html

Lasagna - that is all.

Indeed. Someone was paid a lot of money to take a **** in that dinner. Then there's Fulop on the last day of the 11-12 season vs. **** (his only game for WBA). After which he moved to play in Greece, a league and country where money is scarce and footballers' salaries are often delayed for months. My bet is Fulop, still only 30, is there for the weather and the food. I highly doubt he is dependant on being paid anything at all to live quite comfortably.

You'd be pretty naive to think this is just coincidental. There's simply too much money involved in football.

Indeed. Someone was paid a lot of money to take a **** in that dinner. Then there's Fulop on the last day of the 11-12 season vs. **** (his only game for WBA). After which he moved to play in Greece, a league and country where money is scarce and footballers' salaries are often delayed for months. My bet is Fulop, still only 30, is there for the weather and the food. I highly doubt he is dependant on being paid anything at all to live quite comfortably.

You'd be pretty naive to think this is just coincidental. There's simply too much money involved in football.

Oh ffs not this again.
Yes games can be fixed but you cant organise to fix a game in under an hour. No one knew he would be playing until the other keeper got injured in the warm up.

I reckon I have watched at least have a dozen premier league matches that were fixed, starting with those 'Brucie' games. A couple of weeks ago somebody posted video of a Bundesliga match that was as bad as the Fulop match. We all know how much money is in cricket and we also know that games are fixed. Football is no different sadly.

Its mad really, I was at a game, Grays Athletic versus Forest Green rovers and it was pretty much known in football that the game was fixed but they could not ultimately prove it.

Alot of this max fixing has taken place close to where I live, Joe Wooley and Nick Mckoy who is actually Ex Spurs I believe have plied their trade in Essex non league.

If it turned out that football was riddled with corruption and that most games were fixed,would you stop watching it? Would you lose all interest,or would you still be entertained by the drama ?

After ten years of regular attendance home & away I'm close to losing interest anyway, helped along in part by our less than enthralling playing style right now. So yes, anything like this would well & truly finish me off. And I wouldn't be surprised if there's plenty going on tbh.....

Oh ffs not this again.
Yes games can be fixed but you cant organise to fix a game in under an hour. No one knew he would be playing until the other keeper got injured in the warm up.

And that couldn't have been prearranged as well?

Found the link:

'I had visions of guys coming to kneecap me. Eventually we got the ball out on 70 seconds. The neutral time meant we had neither won nor lost. I have never tried spread betting since.'

Yes Mr Le Tiss ,,, We all believe you that your spread betting venture was a one off and that the Knee cap guys wouldn't have insisted you get it right next time:ross:

I am friends with a lot of Tranmere Rovers fans, and used to play for a supporters team of theirs, and as such had to be signed up to the forum of the team. Had a look today in light of the news about quite a few of their players, and to say they are distraught is an understatement. Ian Goodison, 41 years of age, captained his country at a World Cup, 10 years of service to the club, and now arrested on suspicion of spot fixing. Cult status to pariah in one afternoon. All for what? A few grand?

There is, without a doubt, a seedy underbelly to gambling in football. Players turn their back on the loyalty of fans in exchange for money every transfer window, without fail.

I feel the revelations this weekend are merely the tip of the iceberg

Also I remember reading that Interpol investigated Tomas Rosicky following the 4-4 match against Saudi Sportswashing Machine a few years back. Obviously nothing came of it, but imaging playing so poorly that you were investigated?

DJ Campbell has released a statement denying any involvement in match fixing and will play in the 2-0 loss this weekend at home to Millwall.

If I thought there was even a slight chance that football was fixed on a widescale level, I would have no issues in dropping the game completely. I would lose all interest in both Spurs and football in general.

Back