• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

We need at least one World class player...

Would people shift Eriksen if it meant getting Isco?

No. I think we all underestimate how incredibly hard Eriksen works off the ball, which is very unusual in an AM: for what it's worth, he allies that work-rate with great technical skills and an above-par eye for a pass (could be better, but hey), which makes him pretty much the ideal Poch CAM in my book, horrible current form aside.

I think we should go for Messi, can you imagine if he played in our current team. I think with better players around him he would flourish. Kane and Messi would damage any team in the league, and I would even forsake a cold winter away night at Stoke if Messi played the rest of the season as well as Dele Ali

Thing is, Pochs ethos is to develop players into top class players. When I look at the team there are potentially a lot of top class players therefore I question what position would/should we looking to acquire a world class type that wouldn't upset the harmony of Poch and the squad and be a big upgrade on our young potential stars?

For me here isn't any outstanding positions where we really need to upgrade - keeper sorted,top CBs, what top class full backs are there much better than the ones we have? We have a lot of talented CMs and in Lamella,Son and Eriksen AMs hat could potentially if continue to develop become top class. Harry Kane, is getting there already.

I'd say maybe a world class CM at a push? No idea who is attainable though....

For once in my life we have a Tottenham Team, not a team of individuals.

I don't give a brick who we sign as long as their team players and work as hard as the man their replacing whilst being an improvement on them, it's that simple!!!!

We cannot afford truly world class players and a lot take time to settle (Suarez 18 months, Ozil 2 years to produce anywhere near to decent form). We can't have passengers on this journey and every penny's needs to be managed.

So if we can get a world class player who we can

A) afford
B) run 10km a game
C) be better than we really have
D) can hit the ground running

Then I'm all in

So, would Lavezzi qualify? We seem to be in with a decent shout for him. We were linked to him last summer and looks like a solid addition - experienced, versatile, maybe able to fit in nicely given the Argentinian connections - Poch, Lamela.

I think we should go for Messi, can you imagine if he played in our current team. I think with better players around him he would flourish. Kane and Messi would damage any team in the league, and I would even forsake a cold winter away night at Stoke if Messi played the rest of the season as well as Dele Ali

Personally, I would prefer Bale back. Imagine him in this current team. We would then certainly be real title contenders.

So, would Lavezzi qualify? We seem to be in with a decent shout for him. We were linked to him last summer and looks like a solid addition - experienced, versatile, maybe able to fit in nicely given the Argentinian connections - Poch, Lamela.

I know the term world class is watered down by many, but I struggle to imagine a definition of it where Lavezzi would qualify.

I think the way we work a top class player would love to join the ranks but he would have to fit in the work ethic. For example would VDV join us in the current climate, yes, would he fit in the system...no because he cant fit in the mould, would be a great exciting played but Poch wants those that fit in the system which means World Class players may be out the question.

Still just his agent blowing smoke.

I was chatting to some lads playing footy earlier and the subject of world class players came up again

My view was that the players we perceive as WC are generally now the older generation like Zlatan, Ronaldo, Messi, Lahm etc... There always appears to be a lot of hype that young get players but the WC Group of players hasn't changed for what is in effect a a generation (makes sense).

Then we moved onto whose next and I brought Pogba up and Griezzeman. Neymar would be there but there wasn't any others that quickly sprang to mind and Griezzeman got quickly knocked back

It ended with us all agreeing you are better off developing players to become world class rather than buying them... And that was me as Spurs, a United fan and a Liverpool fan!

I was chatting to some lads playing footy earlier and the subject of world class players came up again

My view was that the players we perceive as WC are generally now the older generation like Zlatan, Ronaldo, Messi, Lahm etc... There always appears to be a lot of hype that young get players but the WC Group of players hasn't changed for what is in effect a a generation (makes sense).

Then we moved onto whose next and I brought Pogba up and Griezzeman. Neymar would be there but there wasn't any others that quickly sprang to mind and Griezzeman got quickly knocked back

It ended with us all agreeing you are better off developing players to become world class rather than buying them... And that was me as Spurs, a United fan and a Liverpool fan!

The thing is, contemporary general perceptions of who is and is not 'world class' have, for the most part, been wildly exaggerated by the simultaneous emergence of two unbelievably, almost unstoppably brilliant footballers in Messi and Ronaldo. In another era, we'd see more players who at present appear to be just 'good' be considered world class, but for the most part, those two above have wildly inflated expectations of what it means to be 'world class', and that's been to the detriment of a lot of players of the generation that's now succeeding them. It's why, I suspect, a lot of the older generation are still seen as world class, because they emerged prior to (or during) the 2008-2009 season that saw Messi and Ronaldo take up their present status simultaneously. Thus, there's a perception gap between players of that generation (which includes those two) and the ones of this present batch when it comes to what it means to be world class.

The thing is, contemporary general perceptions of who is and is not 'world class' have, for the most part, been wildly exaggerated by the simultaneous emergence of two unbelievably, almost unstoppably brilliant footballers in Messi and Ronaldo. In another era, we'd see more players who at present appear to be just 'good' be considered world class, but for the most part, those two above have wildly inflated expectations of what it means to be 'world class', and that's been to the detriment of a lot of players of the generation that's now succeeding them. It's why, I suspect, a lot of the older generation are still seen as world class, because they emerged prior to (or during) the 2008-2009 season that saw Messi and Ronaldo take up their present status simultaneously. Thus, there's a perception gap between players of that generation (which includes those two) and the ones of this present batch when it comes to what it means to be world class.

I think that the opposite is true. The term world class is bandied around so much by the media and fans as to virtually meaningless.

I think that the opposite is true. The term world class is bandied around so much by the media and fans as to virtually meaningless.

Maybe we should adopt the university ranking system:

1* = nationally recognised (Davies, Trippier, Wimmer, Bentaleb, Njie)
2* = internationally recognised (Walker, Rose, Dier, Mason, Dembele, Chadli, Alli, Lamela)
3* = internationally excellent (Verts, Eriksen, Son)
4* = world-leading (Lloris, Kane, Alder)

Maybe Luka wants to come home aswell.
As much as I would love to see those two back, I really don't want it to happen. The transfer fee isn't even the greatest hurdle, but the fact that they would completely blow our wage structure out of the water. You can't have a player earning 3-4 times more than the next best paid guy, the ripple effect could ruin everything what we try to build. Remember the Anderton clause, even if in a "moderate" wage era we had a player sitting at home holding back our ability to build.

Maybe we can look at such targets after the new stadium is ready.

Maybe we should adopt the university ranking system:

1* = nationally recognised (Davies, Trippier, Wimmer, Bentaleb, Njie)
2* = internationally recognised (Walker, Rose, Dier, Mason, Dembele, Chadli, Alli, Lamela)
3* = internationally excellent (Verts, Eriksen, Son)
4* = world-leading (Lloris, Kane, Alder)

For me, world class means that they would be in contention for a world 11 but I know that for most people it is a lot broader than this now.

Back