• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

We need at least one World class player...

As much as I would love to see those two back, I really don't want it to happen. The transfer fee isn't even the greatest hurdle, but the fact that they would completely blow our wage structure out of the water. You can't have a player earning 3-4 times more than the next best paid guy, the ripple effect could ruin everything what we try to build. Remember the Anderton clause, even if in a "moderate" wage era we had a player sitting at home holding back our ability to build.

Maybe we can look at such targets after the new stadium is ready.

Whilst i agree in general, i dont think a younger player would have a problem with such high profile players like Modric or Bale earning 3 times what they do.

For me, world class means that they would be in contention for a world 11 but I know that for most people it is a lot broader than this now.

I kind of think world's top 50 players - say top 4ish in their position in the world

E.g - GKs - Neuer, Lloris, Courtois and De Gea etc.

I always define world class as a player that could walk into any starting eleven with no arguments.
e.g. Neuer
Sergio ramos
Iniesta
Ronaldo
Messi
those were just examples off the top of my head, but there would be no arguments about them.

I kind of think world's top 50 players - say top 4ish in their position in the world

E.g - GKs - Neuer, Lloris, Courtois and De Gea etc.

I'd be splitting hairs if I disagreed with that.

By that definition, I only see a handful of players in the PL who I would consider world class and Lloris is the only one that we currently have but we have a few who have the potential to become world class.

I'd be splitting hairs if I disagreed with that.

By that definition, I only see a handful of players in the PL who I would consider world class and Lloris is the only one that we currently have but we have a few who have the potential to become world class.

Lloris is our obvious one.

However its starting to get to the stage I'm struggling to name 4 #9s better than Kane (Ibrahimovic, Lewandowski, Mandzukic, Benzema ,Cavani, maybe Icardi) or 8 CBs better than Alder (Ramos, Hummels, Thiago Silva, Godin, Kompany, Chiellini).

Lloris is our obvious one.

However its starting to get to the stage I'm struggling to name 4 #9s better than Kane (Ibrahimovic, Lewandowski, Mandzukic, Benzema ,Cavani, maybe Icardi) or 8 CBs better than Alder (Ramos, Hummels, Thiago Silva, Godin, Kompany, Chiellini).

I think that is Spurs bias coming into play. I doubt many fans of other clubs would rate them that highly. I do think that they both have the ability to push into that group though.

I think that the opposite is true. The term world class is bandied around so much by the media and fans as to virtually meaningless.

Could not agree more, the way some fans and the media Hyperboles over players is way over the top.
Jesus some even think Goldenballs was world class.

A truly world class player once said of him ( he can not beat a man, he can not use his left foot, he can not head a ball, he can not tackle, he has no pace) so what meakes him world class.

I always define world class as a player that could walk into any starting eleven with no arguments.
e.g. Neuer
Sergio ramos
Iniesta
Ronaldo
Messi
those were just examples off the top of my head, but there would be no arguments about them.
Well actually.....Ramos doesn't float my boat, and that doesn't even take into account his volatile personality which seems to get him booked in every single game (not true but it seems like it).

World class to me is the current top level of quality in each position - for some positions there will be several players all at the top more or less as good each other, in other positions there may be only one or two

World class to me is consistency, pure and simple, its what separates all class of football from non leaguers who did it at youth and can once in a blue moon to those that do it more and so on and so on.

World class players are those that form never becomes an issue, high standards are a daily way of life and play.

World class to me is consistency, pure and simple, its what separates all class of football from non leaguers who did it at youth and can once in a blue moon to those that do it more and so on and so on.

World class players are those that form never becomes an issue, high standards are a daily way of life and play.

Aren't they just good players? Or if you mean consistently excellent, we can safely say that there are no world class players in the Premier League.

Well actually.....Ramos doesn't float my boat, and that doesn't even take into account his volatile personality which seems to get him booked in every single game (not true but it seems like it).

true he's a bit of a wrung'un, but I can't think of a side he wouldn't walk straight into.

Personally, I would prefer Bale back. Imagine him in this current team. We would then certainly be real title contenders.
I think we might even become the prohibitive favorites with him in the side. He'd cost somewhere in the 75 million range. 75 is out of our league, but here's the question: if let's say we could get him for 50, should we go for it? Or is that still too expensive?

As much as I would love to see those two back, I really don't want it to happen. The transfer fee isn't even the greatest hurdle, but the fact that they would completely blow our wage structure out of the water. You can't have a player earning 3-4 times more than the next best paid guy, the ripple effect could ruin everything what we try to build. Remember the Anderton clause, even if in a "moderate" wage era we had a player sitting at home holding back our ability to build.

Maybe we can look at such targets after the new stadium is ready.
I totally agree, but I think Bale might be the one exception, given his ability and ties to the club.

Back