• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

We blew it!

you know whats scary??? it might take 76-78 points to get into the CL next season because Chelsea will have Mourinho plus 100 mill extra worth of players, Arse are said to be spending some of the 80 mill in their bank account.

is it possible that Man Utd, City, Chelsea and Arse could all finish with more than 76 points??? i think it might be
football just doesn't work like that. The top 5 are all competitive and Liverpool could be up there too, but we pushed Arsenal close when they had the likes of Fabregas, Nasri, and lasagne gate team ran them to the last day when they had Henry etc. So you could argue they weren't any better when they had £70m worth of talent in their line-up before. Also I think we will improve this summer. Who says that Mourinho will be a success next season? He plays power, attrition football and 2bh Chelsea's squad is set up to play attacking possession football. Also they say never go back and 2bh his Real Madrid reign has taken a bit of the shine off him IMO.

Who knows what next season will hold but one thing I know is that the Premiership isn't and never will be written on paper and it never quite finishes like everyone thinks it will before the football kicks off!

its a well known fact that in the long-run, wages spent is one of the most accurate measuring tools in identifying the league positions of football clubs. there aren't many other indicators that i can think of, off the top of my head that would be more accurate. transfer fees, whilst not as accurate as wages, will also provide a relatively accurate representation of a team in the long-run.

just think of the past 10 years of the premier league. always the winner has been one of the teams that have spent most on wages. look at arsenal; they always finish around 3rd or 4rth. Its because they spend less (wages) than the other top teams. And although we have probably been a bit unlucky in the past few years to not once finish above them, it makes perfect sense that they should finish above us more often than not, simply because their wage expenditure far outweighs ours.

just to clarify, im not saying that a team that spends less on wages cannot finish higher than teams that do. but, in the long-run wages pretty much dictate how well a club will do on the pitch.

football just doesn't work like that. The top 5 are all competitive and Liverpool could be up there too, but we pushed Arsenal close when they had the likes of Fabregas, Nasri, and lasagne gate team ran them to the last day when they had Henry etc. So you could argue they weren't any better when they had £70m worth of talent in their line-up before. Also I think we will improve this summer. Who says that Mourinho will be a success next season? He plays power, attrition football and 2bh Chelsea's squad is set up to play attacking possession football. Also they say never go back and 2bh his Real Madrid reign has taken a bit of the shine off him IMO.

Who knows what next season will hold but one thing I know is that the Premiership isn't and never will be written on paper and it never quite finishes like everyone thinks it will before the football kicks off!

well not many would have thought that a team finishing with 72 points would end up outside the top 4.....all im saying is that the bar could be raised even higher next season. I dont think its highly unlikely

its a well known fact that in the long-run, wages spent is one of the most accurate measuring tools in identifying the league positions of football clubs. there aren't many other indicators that i can think of, off the top of my head that would be more accurate. transfer fees, whilst not as accurate as wages, will also provide a relatively accurate representation of a team in the long-run.

just think of the past 10 years of the premier league. always the winner has been one of the teams that have spent most on wages. look at arsenal; they always finish around 3rd or 4rth. Its because they spend less (wages) than the other top teams. And although we have probably been a bit unlucky in the past few years to not once finish above them, it makes perfect sense that they should finish above us more often than not, simply because their wage expenditure far outweighs ours.

just to clarify, im not saying that a team that spends less on wages cannot finish higher than teams that do. but, in the long-run wages pretty much dictate how well a club will do on the pitch.

The reason wages are a more accurate indication is that a club could spend 60m one season and 5 the next on transfers whereas wages will have no huge fluctuations.
Thats why wages are generally used as guide.

We were the first team to finish 4th and not get Champions League football. We are also the first team to get 70+ points and not get Champions League football. All in consecutive seasons, how about that?

The reason wages are a more accurate indication is that a club could spend 60m one season and 5 the next on transfers whereas wages will have no huge fluctuations.
Thats why wages are generally used as guide.

True.
Also, there are other factors too tho.
A big one is that when a player does well (ie. performs to a level above what had been expected), he can demand a significant improvement to his contract. And player power these days is such that, he will invariably be given this contract (either by his incumbent club, or by a new club), even if he has a long term contract that still has years left (ie. Luka Modric, who pretty much forced a move through). On the other hand, clubs are "unprotected" from losing players on the cheap through bosmans etc (ie. Sol Campbell). Therefore in the long-run, players wages will always reflect their on-pitch performances far more accurately than transfer fees partly due to reasons such as this. Although the reason you mentioned above plays a greater role.

What other thread? I get we're all disappointed but we've missed out in what I can only describe as a freakish season.

"I think it was a good season for sure but certainly not magnificent. Performance wise it was average but in terms of resilience and fighting spirit i would say it was excellent...ok i'll rate everything out of 10:

Results = 7/10

Home performances = 4/10

Away performances = 8/10

Signings = 7.5/10

Tactics = 7/10

substitutions/team selection = 9/10

Manager interaction with media = 9/10 "

I think that's a lot of positives. Sorry if i also see some negatives too or that i don't buy the crap about wages playing a major factor in Gooners finishing above us but that's my belief.

Aim: get CL

Result: fail

If the aim was anything other than this then questions need to be asked about the direction the club is taking!

I'm also astounded at how willingly people accept that arsenal, who are a shadow of their former self, still just about manage to pip us to a higher finish in the league every season and enjoy CL football while we settle for Europa! AND THIS IS OK!
Even us fans have a weak mentality it seems.

Mumorn - several weeks ago you proclaimed that there were far too many people wanting Spurs to finish above arsenal. Well this is why, it ultimately meant CL football.

Yes we achieved our record points score, but that is scant concsolation! Be honest.

"I think it was a good season for sure but certainly not magnificent. Performance wise it was average but in terms of resilience and fighting spirit i would say it was excellent...ok i'll rate everything out of 10:

Results = 7/10

Home performances = 4/10

Away performances = 8/10

Signings = 7.5/10

Tactics = 7/10

substitutions/team selection = 9/10

Manager interaction with media = 9/10 "

I think that's a lot of positives. Sorry if i also see some negatives too or that i don't buy the crap about wages playing a major factor in Gooners finishing above us but that's my belief.

That's fair enough mate

We were the first team to finish 4th and not get Champions League football. We are also the first team to get 70+ points and not get Champions League football. All in consecutive seasons, how about that?

And yet some people still don't believe Arsenal are pulling the strings at the PL and FA

If the aim was anything other than this then questions need to be asked about the direction the club is taking!

Lol. Take a look at the thread from the beginning of this season. Considering we'd lost 3 of our most influential players and it was our manager's first season with us, most expected 5th at best.

Just because your expectations were disproportionately high, it doesn't make it a failure.

I'm also astounded at how willingly people accept that arsenal, who are a shadow of their former self, still just about manage to pip us to a higher finish in the league every season and enjoy CL football while we settle for Europa! AND THIS IS OK!
Even us fans have a weak mentality it seems.

Mumorn - several weeks ago you proclaimed that there were far too many people wanting Spurs to finish above arsenal. Well this is why, it ultimately meant CL football.

Yes we achieved our record points score, but that is scant concsolation! Be honest.
Totally agree mate. And if anyone gives it the 'we lost modric and vdv' line then they should ask who sold em and why when we genuinely had bo reason to. Our chairman has no ambition other than champions league football on the cheap.

Totally agree mate. And if anyone gives it the 'we lost modric and vdv' line then they should ask who sold em and why when we genuinely had bo reason to. Our chairman has no ambition other than champions league football on the cheap.

Trying to achieve as much as possible while spending within our means is failure? That's the feeling I'm getting from a lot of people on this thread.

:ross:

Trying to achieve as much as possible should not involve selling arguably your two beat players surely? I totally agree with this within our means stuff that's basic
Maths but we sold and replaced with inferior players last summer please don't tell me levy is doing what's beat for the club.

Trying to achieve as much as possible should not involve selling arguably your two beat players surely? I totally agree with this within our means stuff that's basic
Maths but we sold and replaced with inferior players last summer please don't tell me levy is doing what's beat for the club.

We'd held onto Modric (against his will) as long as we could and I'm not convinced that VdV would have prospered under AVB

Back