• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

I think Janssen is the right player bought at the wrong time for us. We needed an experienced striker to be a partner or backup of Kane immediately. But instead we bought a young Janssen. I think Janssen will need 1-2 years to prove his real worth to us.

First touch is poor and like many who struggle in this league, he needs too much time and space. You can see that in a lesser league he would score plenty. I hope that he comes good, but cant see it happening. Sissoko is the same, he was on for twenty minutes, but barely touched the ball. To win the league you can't have any passengers and I'm afraid we have more than a couple.

No, I'm judging him on the basis of every game he has played. I don't think he's good enough, but am happy for future results to prove me wrong.

How many games have you seen him play? I Say that as he has had hardly any "real" time in the pitch. 30 minute cameos are not great for most strikers unless their a super sub type...

I think Janssen is the right player bought at the wrong time for us. We needed an experienced striker to be a partner or backup of Kane immediately. But instead we bought a young Janssen. I think Janssen will need 1-2 years to prove his real worth to us.
I prepared to wait.....

so another week goes by, another 2 games played and still just a penalty against gillingham is his contribution to the team, Oh yes sorry, his excellent hold up play as well. I thought it was a good timely substitution from Poch today, bournemouth were playing a physical game, they were also pressing us and there would be good opportunities on the counter. However, I could count on one had the touches he had in the 30 minutes he was on the pitch. Like I've said here before you don't judge a striker just on chances, but they have to run into spaces, create openings for themselves. He looks lost.
What's more concerning for me is the body language between him and the other players, its clear they don't really look to put him through when there's an opportunity, Alli, Eriksen and Lamela all try to go for goal themselves, Janssen is always on the periphery. I respect what he's done in his short career so far but he's looking more and more like a poor fit for tottenham.

How many games have you seen him play? I Say that as he has had hardly any "real" time in the pitch. 30 minute cameos are not great for most strikers unless their a super sub type...

He's started 7 games out of 12. He's one of only 2 players to play in every game this season for us.
He played 90 minutes against Palace, 62 against Liverpool, 75 against Gillingham, 67 against CSKA, 90 against West Brom and 65 against Leverkusen.

He looks like a Championship striker currently.

He is either off side or out side the box

Granted his hold up play is good, but so is someone like Hemed at Brighton.

The challenge with Janssen is that the thing which he is best at, namely hold up play and bringing others into the game, isn't really what we need in games which we're dominating. In those games, we need someone to make the short, sharp runs behind the defenders. His hold up play will be more useful in CL games against better opposition or away games where we're under the cosh. When we have the opposition penned back in their half and have 75% possession it's less useful. He needs to be able to adapt his play in games when we're in top

Remember when everyone thought Kane was the next Neale Fenn or Lamela was a poor mans Andy Sinton (oh wait everyone hates Lamela again). Janssen needs a chance, needs games and our support. Fans are so entitled these days, demanding instant results.

Good thing we have a coach who actually makes players better

The challenge with Janssen is that the thing which he is best at, namely hold up play and bringing others into the game, isn't really what we need in games which we're dominating. In those games, we need someone to make the short, sharp runs behind the defenders. His hold up play will be more useful in CL games against better opposition or away games where we're under the cosh. When we have the opposition penned back in their half and have 75% possession it's less useful. He needs to be able to adapt his play in games when we're in top

But if you see his games last year he was that player. The hold up play looks to me to just be another string to his bow

I thought he looked good against Leverkusen, got what, 20 minutes today? Didn't manage to pull off much, but I'm not sure Kane would do any better had he gotten on in the last 20 (not necessarily anyway). I think he's got what it takes to make it in the Prem. He's just off the pace of the league, needs to adjust to that. That's pretty much what every foreign player coming into the league says, "I needed a year to adjust to the tempo". Janssen coming from the Dutch league, it only makes sense. I'm sure he'll do it though, given time, and I'm sure he does it even quicker if people get behind the lad and support him. Not saying people aren't entitled to an opinion, of course, just don't let it seep into the stadium.

He does look a bit slow at the moment, but he also looks strong, moves well, and tries to find team mates in better positions all the time. AND! Please remember - he's most definitely lacking confidence for not having scored yet (in the league anyway). The pressure is mounting, and it's not a walk in the park to handle it for someone with his (little) experience. Give him time - who here expected him to slot right in from the start anyway?

Back