• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Victimpool FC - Klopp leaving, grown men crying

O/T Mark Halsey

is it me or was his performance against liverpool one of the most bent, awful displays of 'refereeing' you've ever seen?

especially after fergie had a moan midweek about their lack of penalties and red cards.. give me a break! i wish shelvey had of smacked the purple nosed clown shoe.

i bring this up because i vaguely remember halsey having an absolute mare against us last season? he's an incompetent (bent?) taco.

Re: O/T Mark Halsey

Halsey suffers sick abuse on Twitter after officiating United's visit to Anfield

Referee Mark Halsey was on Sunday night considering calling in the police over sick Twitter taunts following his handling of the explosive clash between Liverpool and Manchester United.

A number of tweets referred to Halsey’s well-known battle against cancer and sickeningly referred to his wife, Michelle, who has also been fighting the disease.

Two of the most offensive comments came from a John Wareing who posted ‘I hope Mark Halsey gets cancer again and dies’ (@johnwareing1) and a John Hughes who tweeted ‘Mark Halsey should’ve died of cancer’ (@lfcjohn259).

Halsey and his family were so upset by the tweets that the referees’ governing body, Professional Game Match Officials Ltd, will offer Halsey the chance to consult a psychologist and replace him for his Capital One Cup tie on Tuesday between Southampton and Sheffield Wednesday. The Hughes tweet was later removed and the word ‘Apologies’ posted.

Within minutes of the game finishing in a 2-1 defeat for Liverpool, messages were being posted on social media websites following a number of controversial refereeing decisions including a first-half red card for Liverpool’s Jonjo Shelvey for a rash tackle on United defender Jonny Evans.

The Twitter outburst followed the emotional pre-match tribute to the 96 Hillsborough victims and an enthralling game which United narrowly won.

The game was only 13 minutes old when a section of United fans tried to provoke their fiercest rivals by chanting ‘Where’s your famous Munich song?’

But the worst episode came after the final whistle when most of the Liverpool fans had left. Two alleged home supporters made aeroplane signals after running towards the corner of the stadium where the United fans remained on police orders. The United contingent responded by singing ‘Always the victims, never your fault’ and ‘Murderers’ in reference to the 1985 Heysel disaster.

‘What was done at the end I cannot comment on as I didn’t hear or see anything,’ said Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers. ‘There is an intense rivalry here and you don’t want that to end because that is all a part of what makes this the biggest game in British football.

‘But songs from Liverpool or Manchester supporters, any of us that have any human decency don’t like to hear that.’

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson was adamant that Halsey, who turned down a Luis Suarez penalty appeal but awarded a contentious one to United after Glen Johnson had tangled with Antonio Valencia, got the key decisions right.

‘I thought it was a clear red card,’ said Ferguson, whose side won at Anfield for the first time since 2007. ‘I don’t think (Shelvey) went for the ball - Jonny Evans went for the ball and got the ball.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2207604/Mark-Halsey-suffers-sick-abuse-Twitter.html

i'm not condoning any kind of abuse, especially of that nature, but just because you had cancer doesn't mean you can't do your job properly nor be betn.

I think he's about average of the current crop of refs, but these high profile matches might be too much. I'm guessing he was picked as he generally gets on well with the players and keeps it calm.

I don't think he got the key decisions right tbh. The penalty was a dive by Valencia, and the red card should not have been given, unless it was given to both Evans and Shelvey. Evans studs were up as well, doesn't matter if you get the ball.

Honestly I think a smart thing to do would have been to not give a red card, unless it was extremely blatant, due mainly to the occasion. Any sending off was bound to cause mass controversy, he should have been sure it was definitely the right call.

Also Liverpool were dominating the game at that time, United have a reputation of winning games with the refs help (as we are well aware of), so that combination of factors meant that the decisions were viewed with great suspicion and ultimately animosity.

So I don't think Halsey did a good job handling it.

the EPL management needs to come up with a transparent way of evaluating referee performances after each match. this will quell the witchhunt. there will always be different point of views, but at least channels need to be open for reporting and measuring referee performances.

i'd like to think a point-based league system - run by retired referees, managers out of work, or players - could work for referees just as it works for football clubs. rate the referees and promote/demote them through the divisions as a form of incentive. bookies and fans will have a helluva time on the side too :)

I don't think he got the key decisions right tbh. The penalty was a dive by Valencia, and the red card should not have been given, unless it was given to both Evans and Shelvey. Evans studs were up as well, doesn't matter if you get the ball.

Honestly I think a smart thing to do would have been to not give a red card, unless it was extremely blatant, due mainly to the occasion. Any sending off was bound to cause mass controversy, he should have been sure it was definitely the right call.

Also Liverpool were dominating the game at that time, United have a reputation of winning games with the refs help (as we are well aware of), so that combination of factors meant that the decisions were viewed with great suspicion and ultimately animosity.

Mark Lawrenson on MotD2 said that Halsey got every big decision right, and he is of course a Pool fan. It just goes to show how hard it is to make these calls, lots of people have argued for and against, which implies the ref has an almost impossible decision to make WITHOUT THE AID OF REPLAYS

Very good performance - got all the major decisions right.

Should have given Suarez a first yellow for diving and a second for bitching, but other than that I thought he was very good.

To suggest that the ref should take things like this into consideration makes no sense to me. A player making a foul that normally would be a red card, but he should get away with it because of the occasion, because of United's reputation or because of potential suspicion or animosity following it? Holy slippery slope batman.

Should have given Suarez a first yellow for diving and a second for bitching, but other than that I thought he was very good.

I thought the red card was correct, and I didn't think Van Persie or Evans should have been sent off. Shelvey went in with a lot more force and it was a much more dangerous tackle. People cry "two footed" or "studs showing", that's not the point. Lunging in with that kind of force and a straight leg and the studs showing, that's the dangerous bit.

Didn't think the Suarez incident was a penalty, the United player got enough of the ball from what I could see.

Thought the Valencia penalty was soft though, pretty clear contact from Johnson with his hands on Valencia's back, but not much of a contact seeing it in slow motion. Can see why the ref gave it though with Johnson coming in very quickly from behind, looked like a pretty clear barge at first, needed the slow motion replays to think otherwise.

Thought Shelvey should have been given a yellow for his first foul though, very late and clearly lifted his leg to make sure he brought down the United player. I think being lenient with yellow cards in the beginning in games like this is a mistake from the referees.

Shelvey - no question. But Evans and RVP could also have seem red.

Johnson and Valencia. There was contact although it was not the cause of Valencia going down (falling any way or dive?). These incidents shouldn't be penalties (by rule) but they are often called that way and the pundits always agree that contact = foul. There was also contact with the Suarez dive. It should be neither or both.

None of the decisions were outrageous given how the game is usually called, but all went one way: red to Liverpool player, not to two United players, penalty to United, not to Liverpool.

What the fudge are Liverpool moaning about? Halsey got the Shelvey sending off spot on. He wrapped his left leg around Evans for good measure! Liverpool fans at work had the nerve to say Evans should have gone and Shelvey didn't deserve the red!! The penalty was correct too. Maybe you could argue it was soft but I've seen worse decisions.

I'm sorry but this is simply sky sports spoon-fed brainwashed bias screening as your opinion.. Utterly ridiculous if you think he officiated well.

If that was spurs getting fudged over against UTD (again) I'm sure your opinion would be very different.

What the fudge are Liverpool moaning about? Halsey got the Shelvey sending off spot on. He wrapped his left leg around Evans for good measure! Liverpool fans at work had the nerve to say Evans should have gone and Shelvey didn't deserve the red!! The penalty was correct too. Maybe you could argue it was soft but I've seen worse decisions.

I mean really?

A3evtewCQAALm_Y.jpg

Back