• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VDV

loved him, wonderful player, always showed up when it mattered

it was absolutely the right decision to move him on though, shame we didn't get him 5 years sooner

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/r...he-most-stupid-decision-of-his-career-tweets/

Not sure where it should go but it comes from an interview that has come to light now he has joined Betis. The quote is below;

It was private things, but also when what’s his name [Andre Villas-Boas] came he said to me ‘you’re not my number one’ and I had played two years, like, unbelievable, so for me it was really strange that he said that to me. So then I said, well, it’s better to leave and that is what happened.

It was a stupid decision, the most stupid in my career to leave Tottenham. I absolutely regret it because it was the best two years in my football life.

When you see that team, when you have [Gareth] Bale, [Luka] Modric, me, [Aaron] Lennon… it was an unbelievable team. I think every game we played we were the better side. We had a lot of possession and a lot of fun with each other.

I would have loved to have taken him back, despite his age, just for the fire he had in his stomach when playing for us. Never before have I seen a player who so much wanted to win the NLD and took pleasure in doing so. You got the sense that he felt the clubs history and what we are all about. It was really refreshing to see and it made the world of difference in the games we played against them.

I really miss him. Also can't believe he was only at us for two seasons!

EDIT: Bet he's lost quite a few fans now though for his Redknapp comments. ;)

Rafaaaa..... :(

My head tells me AVB was the best manager (in terms of profile and undoubted skills) that we've had in the Premier League era. My heart is now telling me that he was a cretinous sod for making VDV leave. :(

We're a different team now, I suppose. An uber-fit, uber-young team with a tactical plan, a relentless work ethic, with teamwork and industriousness trumping free-willed creativity....and in Poch, I think we currently have the anti-Harry, so there's no surprise in the revelation that the club wasn't interested in bringing Rafa back this year.

But regardless of those facts, I'm still head over heels infatuated with VDV. He was the epitome of all that was glorious about us in those two frenetic seasons: he played with swagger, made sturdy, seasoned opposition defenders look like bumbling schoolboys, played with a carefree abandon that was magnificent to watch, and was fierce, passionate and strong-willed to boot. He shushed the apoplectic Arsenal fans at the Emirates, he schooled young Jack Wheelchair with a phenomenally effortless piece of skill, he connected with the fans and our history, and made us all dream of great things just over the golden horizon. And in doing so, and along with Modric, Bale, Ade, Lennon, and 'I'm a fackin' football manager' Harry....he epitomized Tottenham Hotspur. Our ethos, our history, our reason for being....that side epitomised all that, with him at the forefront.

Yes, he had tracing paper hamstrings and the lungs of a baby. Yes, his defensive efforts were....suspect, at best. And yes, ultimately the whole glorious mirage came crashing down and we fell from the heights, our wax wings burned by the relentless sun. But that's what makes him so appealing to me. For two glorious seasons, that team was the very embodiment of the swinging fortunes and wild abandon that is Tottenham Hotspur. And him most of all.

I miss him. I miss those great days, that team, and even Harry....but most of all, I miss him. Even though I know he won't be coming back, because of his incompatibility with our new managerial regime and its somewhat mechanical, automaton-like ways.

Ah, fudge, I've gotten too teary and sentimental for my own good. Why'd he speak up again, dammit, I was happier just forgetting that he was still around, playing football somewhere. Off to Betis, Rafa. Adios.

And godspeed. :(

Thinking of what that side could have achieved had Harry Kane been three years older and had come along in January...

Rafaaaa..... :(

My head tells me AVB was the best manager (in terms of profile and undoubted skills) that we've had in the Premier League era. My heart is now telling me that he was a cretinous sod for making VDV leave. :(

We're a different team now, I suppose. An uber-fit, uber-young team with a tactical plan, a relentless work ethic, with teamwork and industriousness trumping free-willed creativity....and in Poch, I think we currently have the anti-Harry, so there's no surprise in the revelation that the club wasn't interested in bringing Rafa back this year.

But regardless of those facts, I'm still head over heels infatuated with VDV. He was the epitome of all that was glorious about us in those two frenetic seasons: he played with swagger, made sturdy, seasoned opposition defenders look like bumbling schoolboys, played with a carefree abandon that was magnificent to watch, and was fierce, passionate and strong-willed to boot. He shushed the apoplectic Arsenal fans at the Emirates, he schooled young Jack Wheelchair with a phenomenally effortless piece of skill, he connected with the fans and our history, and made us all dream of great things just over the golden horizon. And in doing so, and along with Modric, Bale, Ade, Lennon, and 'I'm a fackin' football manager' Harry....he epitomized Tottenham Hotspur. Our ethos, our history, our reason for being....that side epitomised all that, with him at the forefront.

Yes, he had tracing paper hamstrings and the lungs of a baby. Yes, his defensive efforts were....suspect, at best. And yes, ultimately the whole glorious mirage came crashing down and we fell from the heights, our wax wings burned by the relentless sun. But that's what makes him so appealing to me. For two glorious seasons, that team was the very embodiment of the swinging fortunes and wild abandon that is Tottenham Hotspur. And him most of all.

I miss him. I miss those great days, that team, and even Harry....but most of all, I miss him. Even though I know he won't be coming back, because of his incompatibility with our new managerial regime and its somewhat mechanical, automaton-like ways.

Ah, fudge, I've gotten too teary and sentimental for my own good. Why'd he speak up again, dammit, I was happier just forgetting that he was still around, playing football somewhere. Off to Betis, Rafa. Adios.

And godspeed. :(

mate .. stop trying to make me cry ....

really good post ..

Rafael van der Vaart has admitted his decision to quit Tottenham was "the most stupid in my career", and that boss Andre Villas-Boas was one of his reasons for leaving.

Van der Vaart spent two memorable years at White Hart Lane after signing from Real Madrid in a shock move in 2010.

"It was a little to do with everything," he told the Daily Mirror of his departure in 2012.

"It was private things, but also when what's his name [Villas-Boas] came and said to me 'you're not my number one' and I had played two years, unbelievable. So for me it was really strange that he said that to me. So then I said, 'well, it's better to leave' and that is what happened.

"It was a stupid decision, the most stupid in my career to leave Tottenham. I absolutely regret it because it was the best two years in my football life."

:(

if AVB had kept VDV for that season im sure it would have meant those extra 2 - 5 points that would have got us 4th :(

I think the biggest part is this, "And Harry [Redknapp] — he was like your dad. I would give everything for that man"

That is why we got 4th, that is why we did what we did in the CL - love him or hate him (I hated when I heard he was appointed our gaffer) he did what he needed to do and got us the results we deserved.

If a world class player like VDV is thinking this then you can only imagine how the others were, such a shame that the England job obscured everything and a bigger shame that VDV wasn't deemed worthy enough..

like a dad

a dad that desperately wanted to screw the housewife next door even though she was old grey and miserable

Back