• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

Caulker is young, home grown and a full into. Would be stupid to sell him. More than adequate for the squad and plenty of time to develop. He hasn't set the world on fire but neither has he disgraced himself and the England staff obviously see something there.

Just his passport i think because there are not many english centre backs coming through, not when dawson at west brom is highly rated.

On caulker i think he might come good, i was not impressed with king till naybet came along.

If Soldado is confirmed, then would people think that our transfers this summer have addressed the problems of last season that were highlighted in terms of:

- lack of guile in certain games (and having to rely on a Bale wonderstrike to get us out of a hole)
- inability to dictate a game's tempo like we perhaps were better equipped to do with the passing ranges of Modric and VDV in the team
- our poor defending from set-pieces?

simple answer....no

If Soldado is confirmed, then would people think that our transfers this summer have addressed the problems of last season that were highlighted in terms of:

- lack of guile in certain games (and having to rely on a Bale wonderstrike to get us out of a hole)
- inability to dictate a game's tempo like we perhaps were better equipped to do with the passing ranges of Modric and VDV in the team
- our poor defending from set-pieces?

1) Soldado will give us some of that. His movement's great, and combined with his ability to finish from almost any angle will make opposition defenders more inclined to stick tight to him, which opens up space for the other players to work in.
2) We won't be able to dictate games like we did under Redknapp, purely and simply because 1) we have a tactical plan that doesn't involve that, and 2)our team has evolved to the point where even trying to do that neutralizes a huge number of our other strengths, namely our pace, power, directness, long shooting and rapid counter-attacking prowess.
3) I don't think that's ever going away.

1) Soldado will give us some of that. His movement's great, and combined with his ability to finish from almost any angle will make opposition defenders more inclined to stick tight to him, which opens up space for the other players to work in.
2) We won't be able to dictate games like we did under Redknapp, purely and simply because 1) we have a tactical plan that doesn't involve that, and 2)our team has evolved to the point where even trying to do that neutralizes a huge number of our other strengths, namely our pace, power, directness, long shooting and rapid counter-attacking prowess.
3) I don't think that's ever going away.

We now have the tallest team in the league after Stoke?

We now have the tallest team in the league after Stoke?

Doesn't guarantee anything. We had Sandro, Dawson, Dembele, Bale, Walker, Vertonghen, Caulker, and Ade all in our side last season: big, powerful lads who should have zero trouble heading the ball to safety. Yet our performances on set-pieces fluctuated horrendously: from okay to relatively good to bad to really bad back to decent and then down again to really bad.

It isn't height that's the problem, imo. Like betha said, we did do better at defending them under Ramos. So perhaps it's the marking system our players are used to that's the problem. But for better or worse, and like I said, that problem won't go away: considering defender turnover rates and the rotation required at a club like Spurs (plus our fairly mature defense), I don't think our lads will have time to learn how to properly zonal mark or more closely stick to their man, which will inevitably lead to goals conceded.

Hence, it won't really go away. We're Spurs, we wobble at these sorts of things. For differing reasons, admittedly, but still.

Doesn't guarantee anything. We had Sandro, Dawson, Dembele, Bale, Walker, Vertonghen, Caulker, and Ade all in our side last season: big, powerful lads who should have zero trouble heading the ball to safety. Yet our performances on set-pieces fluctuated horrendously: from okay to relatively good to bad to really bad back to decent and then down again to really bad.
Regarding height, I don't think I've seen a worse player a defensive set pieces than Crouch. All you'd have to do to get away from his marking was to look in the other direction, and he'd struggle to follow your movement.

West Bromwich Albion are hoping to sign Napoli defender Federico Fernandez on loan, with the player previously linked to Tottenham Hotspur.

There is a slight air of alarm around West Brom at the lack of summer recruits thus far, with nomadic striker Nicolas Anelka their only addition so far in the transfer window.

However the Baggies have a well earned reputation for meticulous planning in the transfer market, and it is almost certain they will be making moves in the remaining weeks before the start of the Premier League.

Napoli defender Federico Fernandez has been linked with a loan move to the Hawthorns, and if West Brom could complete a move for the defender, it would represent something of a coup for the Premier League club.

The Argentine is not expected to be a regular at Napoli under Rafa Benitez, and is also reportedly a target for Tottenham Hotspur and Getafe, where he spent time on loan last season.

Fernandez was bought by Napoli for £2.5million in 2011, and there could be an option for West Brom to purchase him at the end of a loan spell, with the 24-year-old failing to settle at the Italian side.

If he signed, Fernandez would join his compatriot Claudio Yacob in the Baggies’ squad, and if he was able to match the impact the midfielder made in his debut season then he could be an instant hit at the Hawthorns.

Spurs could target Fernandez as cover in their defence after Jan Vertonghen was ruled out for most of their pre-season after picking up an injury in the Barclays Asia Trophy last week.

Younes Kaboul has recently returned from the injury that kept him out of almost the whole of last season, and Andre Villas-Boas will be cautious about ensuring the French defender is not overworked in the opening weeks of the year.

Anelka was a canny signing for West Brom, and the striker will help to replace the goals Romelu Lukaku supplied on loan last season, but they have let several players leave this summer, and need to bring in reinforcements quickly. Fernandez would be an excellent place to start.

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/07/29/nh-west-brom-aim-to-beat-tottenham-hotspur-to-fernandez/

By talkSPORT | Monday, July 29, 2013

Tottenham have entered the running to sign Steaua Bucharest defender Vlad Chiriches.

Andre Villas-Boas is still looking to strengthen his squad ahead of the new season and with William Gallas being released during the summer, he could be looking to bring in another central defender.

Chiriches has also been strongly linked with a move to Roma while AC Milan have also been tracking his progress.

But reports in Romania claim Tottenham are now making moves to sign the 23-year-old and his agent is set to discuss a deal with the north London club.

Read more: http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-n...r-hunt-romania-defender-202644?#ixzz2aSLk3Y9q

classy centre half....apparently 6-8 mill pounds will secure him

I am thinking more and more we will sign another CB.

It will probably depend on Kaboul's fitness.

AVB said last season that 4 centre backs is enough, if all 4 of Kaboul, Vertonghen, Dawson and Caulker are fit I don't think we'll bring someone in unless a very good deal appears for a very good player.

It will probably depend on Kaboul's fitness.

AVB said last season that 4 centre backs is enough, if all 4 of Kaboul, Vertonghen, Dawson and Caulker are fit I don't think we'll bring someone in unless a very good deal appears for a very good player.

If Hotlby smashes it as a deep lying midfielder and we lose a center back long term I could see Sandro getting some time playing there, not saying in any way it'll become his position or anything but I think he's got the attributes to do really well there

If Hotlby smashes it as a deep lying midfielder and we lose a center back long term I could see Sandro getting some time playing there, not saying in any way it'll become his position or anything but I think he's got the attributes to do really well there

What, like destroy people.

By talkSPORT | Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Tottenham are lining up Roma star Erik Lamela as a possible replacement for Gareth Bale.

The double Footballer of the Year could leave White Hart Lane before the start of the season after Real Madrid stepped up their efforts to bring him to the Spanish capital.

Spurs are expecting to receive a world record fee for the Welshman and could use some of that money to sign Lamela, 21.

The Argentina international has been a key player for Roma since arriving from River Plate in 2011, scoring 19 Serie A goals in two seasons.

The attacker, who is under contract until 2016, has been tracked previously by both Manchester clubs and would cost at least £26m.

Read more: http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-n...as-views-roma-ace-potential-replacement-bale-

well Talksport were quick off the mark and accurate with the Chiriches rumour that i posted 3 posts above ^^

Caulker on the brink of joining Cardiff.........9 mill pounds

Daily Mail

...anyone else think £9m is good money though?

Obviously he is a potential class CB and we should retain our young English talent.

Mixed emotions about Caulker. Looked good in Swansea, not so good - and with a few costly errors - for us last season. If we bring in the Romanian CB, and Baldini/AVB think hes better than Caulker, I trust them. But its always a bit sad to sell talents coming up from our own ranks. 9 mill? Not so sure.

9m? that's a lot of ££££££. With the potential signing of this unknown Romanian coming in, i think we might as well sell (add a 15% sell on and we're good to go).

Back