• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Bolleaux

This bit's key - If he doesn't sign an extension and we're still in the hunt for attacking midfielders heading into the summer, I think we'll make another play for him. Schalke won't want to lose him on a free, he likely would want Schalke to receive what they can for him. We'll get him for less than we otherwise would. Provided he stays fit and continues to impress, of course.

Id prefer the young lad from Bayer, Julian Brandt

Id prefer the young lad from Bayer, Julian Brandt

I like that idea, but he has a year more on his contract than Meyer does, and he's at a club that's been in the CL more consistently and thus can presumably ask for more for him, given the greater exposure he's had and their (presumably - I haven't actually checked) more secure finances.

Edit: Although you may be on to something - the article from ESPN that I've linked below says that this summer will be the last chance for Bayer to receive something substantial for him, given that a release clause worth just 12.5 million euros kicks in when the 2018 summer window rolls around, one year before his contract's due to expire. So he could actually be comparable to Meyer in terms of presumed price.

http://www.espnfc.us/story/2997444/...-bayer-leverkusen-winger-julian-brandt-father

I like that idea, but he has a year more on his contract than Meyer does, and he's at a club that's been in the CL more consistently and thus can presumably ask for more for him, given the greater exposure he's had and their (presumably - I haven't actually checked) more secure finances.

Both clubs are on strong financial footings from what I know

Agree! He'll become better than De Bruyne. Would be a fantastic signing if we could get him.

Sent with Miele C1 Vacuum cleaner

I'd have spent the £30m of Sissoko money on him

He has everything to succeed and is playing at what is in reality a small but rich club

I think we would appeal to him with his age etc.... but I've never seen us linked to him

I'd have spent the £30m of Sissoko money on him

He has everything to succeed and is playing at what is in reality a small but rich club

I think we would appeal to him with his age etc.... but I've never seen us linked to him
Have you seen us linked to any of the players we've bought since Poch came? In that case you are the only one

Anyone expect us to do anything in January? I expect us to be very quiet...

Would love us to fill one of our two main gaps:
- a genuinely top quality player with some ability to unpick defences for 1 one of the 3 positions behind the CF. We have 6 players for those positions at the moment (plus Edwards and Onomah) but none have that real creativity
- like for like cover for Dembele

Realistically though, neither are likely. More likely is just shipping out Carroll and signing a youngster or two

Nah. Depends who might be available, but I doubt any of our key targets will be.

Not impressed by our recent purchases either. Don't think any one of them are an improvement to what we have/had already, with Wanyama and Son the only possible exceptions. Sissoko, VJ, NKD, and the now already loaned out Nige, have all been very underwhelming so far. None have exactly hit the ground running

It would be a massive admission of having got it wrong, but I'd love us to loan Sissoko and bring back Bentaleb. Winks' progress may negate it, but that Dembele cover/competition role is something we could fix easily with a recall.

Re the playmaker in the AM trio, I think we'll need to wait till the summer, unless Isco has had a rethink and now wants a loan for playing time.

But no - I think Carroll out will be the only piece of business. Maybe Fazio/Njie/Lopez will also become permanents, if they've fulfilled their conditions.

It would be a massive admission of having got it wrong, but I'd love us to loan Sissoko and bring back Bentaleb. Winks' progress may negate it, but that Dembele cover/competition role is something we could fix easily with a recall.

Re the playmaker in the AM trio, I think we'll need to wait till the summer, unless Isco has had a rethink and now wants a loan for playing time.

But no - I think Carroll out will be the only piece of business. Maybe Fazio/Njie/Lopez will also become permanents, if they've fulfilled their conditions.

I'm happy to give Sissoko more time to become a Poch style player. It may never happen but he has hardly been through the door and people are ending his spurs career. I wouldn't start him or even play him much yet but I reckon by March/April he will start showing us something a little more useful.

The rest I agree - unless something unusual becomes available I don't think we will be out shopping.

I'm happy to give Sissoko more time to become a Poch style player. It may never happen but he has hardly been through the door and people are ending his spurs career. I wouldn't start him or even play him much yet but I reckon by March/April he will start showing us something a little more useful.

The rest I agree - unless something unusual becomes available I don't think we will be out shopping.

It's possible. Poch worked miracles with Dembele and Rose.

What strikes me about Sissoko though is that it seems to be an attitude/application problem. Plus at 27 and with plenty of EPL experience, there's really no excuse about settling in.

Personally I'd flog him to China asap, while we can still get eight figures for him.

Nah. Depends who might be available, but I doubt any of our key targets will be.

Not impressed by our recent purchases either. Don't think any one of them are an improvement to what we have/had already, with Wanyama and Son the only possible exceptions. Sissoko, VJ, NKD, and the now already loaned out Nige, have all been very underwhelming so far. None have exactly hit the ground running

Son has been excellent this season and is becoming a key player for us. Has rather impressively made himself a real competitor for a starting attacking midfield spot in competition with Eriksen, Alli and Lamela. Similarly I think it's too early to be critical of NKD and VJ, young players coming from abroad new to the club, new to Pochettino new to the league. Let's give them some time, just like some of us did with Son, Lamela and many others.

Wanyama has been good overall and in terms of value for money a good purchase. Alderweireld also came last season and has been an excellent buy.

Sissoko for me is the stand out player in terms of being a disappointment when (like Wanyama) he came with real PL experience and experience overall that meant that hitting the ground running was a reasonable expectation.

Son has been excellent this season and is becoming a key player for us. Has rather impressively made himself a real competitor for a starting attacking midfield spot in competition with Eriksen, Alli and Lamela. Similarly I think it's too early to be critical of NKD and VJ, young players coming from abroad new to the club, new to Pochettino new to the league. Let's give them some time, just like some of us did with Son, Lamela and many others.

Wanyama has been good overall and in terms of value for money a good purchase. Alderweireld also came last season and has been an excellent buy.

Sissoko for me is the stand out player in terms of being a disappointment when (like Wanyama) he came with real PL experience and experience overall that meant that hitting the ground running was a reasonable expectation.

Definitely - the time to judge Janssen and GKN is really next season. They are just Son minus 12 months

It's possible. Poch worked miracles with Dembele and Rose.

What strikes me about Sissoko though is that it seems to be an attitude/application problem. Plus at 27 and with plenty of EPL experience, there's really no excuse about settling in.

Personally I'd flog him to China asap, while we can still get eight figures for him.

It isn't about adjusting to the EPL though is it - it is adjusting to the ambitions & expectations of Poch. His age may work against him but I would imagine being at Spurs currently is significantly different to Saudi Sportswashing Machine under FSW, McLaren or Pardew, no matter your background, age or ability.

Both Toby & Victor had Poch-experience as well as EPL experience though. If someone came in with £20m+ for Sissoko I would consider it perhaps but he hasn't been Poched before this season so I'm willing to give him a bit longer to learn the expectations.

I agree and am certainly not writing any of them off yet. It is just that all new players seem to take a considerable time to bed in to our system and consequently there isn't much point buying anyone this window - which was your original question. Sissoko is the one who maybe could have hit the ground running and has therefore been the biggest disappointment so far.

Back