• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Bolleaux

Dier's one. Wanyama's played there before as well, no?

Possibly, but we could conceivably need Dier in a back 3 with two holding mf's in front of them twice in a week.

I'll be surprised if we do sign Schneiderlin but I wouldn't consider it an extravagance.

Or just lazy journalism? "They were intrested in him a few years ago, so surley they are still instrested in him."

That's almost inspired work by today's standards of simply picking a random name out of thin air.

Max Meyer has revealed Tottenham launched an unsuccessful bid to sign him this summer.

The 21-year-old Schalke starlet has long been linked with a move to the Premier League with Liverpool’s Jurgen Klopp among his admirers.

But the player had revealed it was Spurs who made a concrete approach for his services.

“I know that there was interest and the club was asked, but Schalke immediately put a stop to it. So the matter was settled,” the attacking midfielder told German publication Sport Bild.

“Of course I’ve dealt with it. I know what I have at Schalke and I like to play for this club.”

But he added: “When the time comes, we’ll come to a decision. But I feel good about Schalke.”

Meyer, who has two years left to run on his current contract at Schalke, admitted in June that he would only want to move to the Premier League if he decided to leave Germany.

“If I left Schalke and was going to play football in any other league in Europe I would like to move to England,” Meyer said earlier this year.

However, the player admitted in another interview he was fully behind the Schalke project.

“I know that we have a lot of potential here, we’ve added good players, and a good coach.

“We can achieve a lot and play a good role in the Bundesliga,” he told Sport 1.

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/schalke-starlet-reveals-details-of-failed-tottenham-approach

Certainly past performance is not encouraging. Dembele needs to come out his shell. Drive into the box and shoot, or shimmy and shoot. The technique is there. Just putting it together. We are missing midfields who score. Dembele needs to, and I think he will. If he stays fit. At Fullham and before England he was playing as a winger and no 10.
For Alkmaar he had no problems attacking and was very progressive with his play, pulling the trigger when needed. My personal theory is that this has been coached out of him over a number of seasons playing deeper and certainly by AVB whose possession at all costs approach was in effect neutering an amazing talent. I would suggest what we are seeing since Poch has arrived is Dembele performing to a level where he should have been a few seasons back. I daresay if he had shown last season's form a few years ago he might have been playing for someone else now.

I liked AVB and I could talk for a long time positively about what he did for us, points total, hard to break down, etc., but ultimately I didn't really enjoy what I saw on the pitch nor agree with his approach. I don't really want to rehash all the old AVB arguments, but IMO you cannot and should not limit the improvisation and natural instincts of a player of Dembele's ability. A good coach should see the strengths a player has and use those strengths to maximum effect, and also counteract this player's weaknesses by pairing them with players whose strengths compliment them. AVB was a colour by numbers guy whereas Poch is Picasso.

Unfortunately it looks like Dembele is a bit fragile. Sometimes injuries are bad luck and sometimes a playing style can actually make you more likely to get injuries. I imagine the physical nature of Dembele's game and the constant changes of direction will and have taken a toll on his body. You can look at this two ways. One way to look at it is maybe he cannot be an integral part of our long term plans as he might be out a lot. Or alternatively, use him as much as you possibly can and get the benefit of whatever minutes on the pitch he gives you. I'm firmly in the later camp.

For Alkmaar he had no problems attacking and was very progressive with his play, pulling the trigger when needed. My personal theory is that this has been coached out of him over a number of seasons playing deeper and certainly by AVB whose possession at all costs approach was in effect neutering an amazing talent. I would suggest what we are seeing since Poch has arrived is Dembele performing to a level where he should have been a few seasons back. I daresay if he had shown last season's form a few years ago he might have been playing for someone else now.

I liked AVB and I could talk for a long time positively about what he did for us, points total, hard to break down, etc., but ultimately I didn't really enjoy what I saw on the pitch nor agree with his approach. I don't really want to rehash all the old AVB arguments, but IMO you cannot and should not limit the improvisation and natural instincts of a player of Dembele's ability. A good coach should see the strengths a player has and use those strengths to maximum effect, and also counteract this player's weaknesses by pairing them with players whose strengths compliment them. AVB was a colour by numbers guy whereas Poch is Picasso.

Unfortunately it looks like Dembele is a bit fragile. Sometimes injuries are bad luck and sometimes a playing style can actually make you more likely to get injuries. I imagine the physical nature of Dembele's game and the constant changes of direction will and have taken a toll on his body. You can look at this two ways. One way to look at it is maybe he cannot be an integral part of our long term plans as he might be out a lot. Or alternatively, use him as much as you possibly can and get the benefit of whatever minutes on the pitch he gives you. I'm firmly in the later camp.

As am I. There's not many players with his ability to retain possession and go past players. I think where we come up against teams that sit back, this ability to beat a man (or two or three) is exactly what we need as well as players who are pacy.

I'm not AVB's biggest fan, but I don't think that in 2 seasons he coached the attacking instincts out of Dembele. I think that compared to Alkmaar, he is playing in a deeper position in a more competitive league. Plus, in his number of seasons with us, a fair few of them have been where we have been in transition (for want of a better phrase).

Messi has decided to see out his contract at Barcelona and will be available in 2018. Maybe if we start saving now...

I have just seen dembele's goals for France tonight, I can not believe we had him at the training ground for a medical and could have signed him for 3.5m in the long list of Levy transfer rooster ups this is at the fcuking top.

I have just seen dembele's goals for France tonight, I can not believe we had him at the training ground for a medical and could have signed him for 3.5m in the long list of Levy transfer rooster ups this is at the fcuking top.

Which one? There are so many around these days - Ousmane or Moussa?

Well, this guy scored some amazing goals, and we did sign him.

char_pinkiepie.png

Max Meyer has revealed Tottenham launched an unsuccessful bid to sign him this summer.

The 21-year-old Schalke starlet has long been linked with a move to the Premier League with Liverpool’s Jurgen Klopp among his admirers.

But the player had revealed it was Spurs who made a concrete approach for his services.

“I know that there was interest and the club was asked, but Schalke immediately put a stop to it. So the matter was settled,” the attacking midfielder told German publication Sport Bild.

“Of course I’ve dealt with it. I know what I have at Schalke and I like to play for this club.”

But he added: “When the time comes, we’ll come to a decision. But I feel good about Schalke.”

Meyer, who has two years left to run on his current contract at Schalke, admitted in June that he would only want to move to the Premier League if he decided to leave Germany.

“If I left Schalke and was going to play football in any other league in Europe I would like to move to England,” Meyer said earlier this year.

However, the player admitted in another interview he was fully behind the Schalke project.

“I know that we have a lot of potential here, we’ve added good players, and a good coach.

“We can achieve a lot and play a good role in the Bundesliga,” he told Sport 1.

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/schalke-starlet-reveals-details-of-failed-tottenham-approach

This bit's key - If he doesn't sign an extension and we're still in the hunt for attacking midfielders heading into the summer, I think we'll make another play for him. Schalke won't want to lose him on a free, he likely would want Schalke to receive what they can for him. We'll get him for less than we otherwise would. Provided he stays fit and continues to impress, of course.

Back