• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

TOTTENHAM vs. ASTON VILLA - OMT

Felt sorry for Villa, got a young team full of good talent, no real experience or wise heads is costing them massively..

Good performance, nice killer instinct in the 2nd half, loved Bale tonight, what a player

and Freund, hahahah I love the bloke

Bale is our most important player, of course. No debate about it.
I loved Freund bear hugging the guys. I am putting the great team spirit down to him.

That game was all about one pass from Naughton, putting Defoe in for a neat finish.

After that they had to open up.

It seems our reputation is "too big" nowadays, loads of teams just shut up shop and we don't have space to use the pace of Bale and Lennon and we struggle.

We need a clever ball player for games like that, someone to create in tight spaces.

Agree, but I think Sigurdsson can do that job. He has been very good lately! Play him instead of Ade against Sunderland.

Spurs goals & assists with half the season gone...

P0129.png

...Defoe on target for 28 goals this season and Bale for 20.

Not too shabby.

you can see how Chelsea scored 8, if we had done so today it wouldn't have been an unfair reflection of the game

A 4-0 away win is a 4-0 away win, and of course I am very pleased with the way things went today. I will say though, that earlier in this OMT I explained my reasons why I wanted to see a particular line-up which incorporated Sigurdsson to give us that creative spark, so when we didn't and we struggled to break Villa down in the first half then I assumed I'd be writing another long tactical moan at AVB this evening. For the record, I do still think he should have started, but it worked out ok in the end.

If Villa had scored in their quick start to the second half, been buoyed on by the goal and then defended with 10 men behind the ball for the rest of the game, I really think we'd have struggled to find a way through. But Naughton's pass to Defoe was a very good one, and once the first goal went in, Villa's heads dropped and the floodgates opened. It's kinda hard to judge a performance like this from us. On one hand, we completely dominated the game and scored some very aesthetically pleasing goals. On the other, well....Villa were fudging awful. I mean REALLY bad. Even Shamrock Rovers gave us more of a game last season. They could hardly string two passes together and their defending with atrocious in the second half, from failing to deal with the counter-attack twice in the second goal to giving Bale as much time and space as he liked to pick out his shot for the third. You could count the number of Premier League quality players on one hand in today's team, they really need to get their injured players back and to sign some more experience in January or they're in big big trouble.

Just so you all know too, this equals Villa's heaviest ever home defeat too.

A view from some Villa fans:

It's ok though, the lads are young and hungry. That is all that counts.....

Worst Villa team I have ever seen. Embarassed by Lambert and his crap kids. fudge Off Lerner

Utterly embarrassing.

A disgrace to the good name of our football club. Whether or not Lambert is the right man is open to debate. What isn’t open to debate is that he is accountable for this rubbish being served up. That midfield today was asking to be run over and as for the stupid 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 system... It's failure of comical proportions.

I await the apologists to come in here and defend this mess, just as they did after the 8-0. This is not a work in progress. We have 19 games to save ourselves from the ultimate disaster. We don’t have time for works in progress. We need improvement and points right now. I was non-perplexed after the 8-0 because I chalked it down to a one-off. And now days later we have been humped further and even easier.

Under Houllier and McCleish it was bad, very bad but we weren’t humiliated to this extent. This is the lowest eb of our football club in 20 years of me watching them. I'm absolutely furious with what I have witnessed. It’s a complete disgrace that we have let this happen to ourselves.

Spurs are a good team and we always knew that we would struggle this season. I think any manager would struggle but to do so in the manner we have is worrying. We look as if we're going to get tonked against the better teams in the league this season.

As for the game itself, the better team most definitely won. Spurs have a scary amount of talent in their first team, well done to them today. We look short of quality, confidence and composure in every department excluding goalkeeper.

hmm...another unverified stat.

My Villa mate told me this maybe a premier league era record, but definitely not their heaviest home defeat ever.

He later showed me this, and he said he couldn't care to look up for more...
17 September 1892 Div 1 Villa 1 Sunderland 6
Villa 1 Sunderland 6.jpg

source: http://www.soccerbase.com

Last edited:
A 4-0 away win is a 4-0 away win, and of course I am very pleased with the way things went today. I will say though, that earlier in this OMT I explained my reasons why I wanted to see a particular line-up which incorporated Sigurdsson to give us that creative spark, so when we didn't and we struggled to break Villa down in the first half then I assumed I'd be writing another long tactical moan at AVB this evening. For the record, I do still think he should have started, but it worked out ok in the end.

If Villa had scored in their quick start to the second half, been buoyed on by the goal and then defended with 10 men behind the ball for the rest of the game, I really think we'd have struggled to find a way through. But Naughton's pass to Defoe was a very good one, and once the first goal went in, Villa's heads dropped and the floodgates opened. It's kinda hard to judge a performance like this from us. On one hand, we completely dominated the game and scored some very aesthetically pleasing goals. On the other, well....Villa were fudging awful. I mean REALLY bad. Even Shamrock Rovers gave us more of a game last season. They could hardly string two passes together and their defending with atrocious in the second half, from failing to deal with the counter-attack twice in the second goal to giving Bale as much time and space as he liked to pick out his shot for the third. You could count the number of Premier League quality players on one hand in today's team, they really need to get their injured players back and to sign some more experience in January or they're in big big trouble.

I assumed you would be anyway!!!! :lol::p;)

Seriously though, you have to also extend credit to the efficiency of our defense and the high-line today, both of which were factors in quashing any flicker of excitement and revival Villa might've felt after HT.

Agreed - the first half was like trying to open a bag of crisps with a spoon.

We were all over them, ferreting away, poking and fiddling, spoony spoony spoony but no cutting edge.

Villa have been playing a 3-5-2 formation in recent weeks. The antidote for a 3-5-2 is a 4-3-3, which is what we should play. In a 3-5-2, if the wing-backs don't push forward then your attacking play is very narrow and can be quite easy to defend against if you don't have serious flair players up front. If the wing-backs DO push forward, then the opposition has wing forwards who will be in behind the wing-backs with no covering full-back to intercept them. If the opposition has good passers in the side then giving the ball away in a 3-5-2 against a 4-3-3 can be suicidal, and against Chelsea, Villa kept giving the ball away to a 4-3-3 playing side. They got absolutely raped.

If we can get an early goal against a young Villa side on the back of an 8-0 thrashing, who's captain is out injured, heads will start to drop. But you can also be certain that Villa will come out on the attack, with a point to prove in front of their own fans. We need to be prepared to deal with early pressure from them today, but assuming we hold the fort, this won't be a bad thing. Because once they start to get encouraged and commit men forward, that's when the gaps will open up. And that's when we will have the pace of Lennon and Bale on the wings to be picked out by Sigurdsson.

Agbonlahor may or may not be fit, his pace would worry me against Vertonghen, so I'd play Naughton at LB and move Jan into the centre to mark his mate Benteke that he knows well. This not only has him in his best position, but also means we've got a quicker full-back to help with our own counter attacks. The other question is who plays at the centre of the attack. Defoe has started all but four of our games in all competitions this season and has played the full 90 in most of them. He needs a rest and we have a tricky game against a Sunderland side who will play with a defensive set up in a few days time, that's the sort of game where you need someone who can finish. For today's game, I would prefer Adebayor to lead the line, as we are away from home and his hold up play will prevent too much pressure coming from the opposition. I also feel he will bring Sigurdsson into play in the final third more, which is where Gylfi will flourish. It will make a big difference for us having a player who can score goals and be a creative threat coming from the centre as opposed to only the wings, which is what has made us quite predictable recently.

If Agbonlahor IS fit, they might go 4-3-3. I'd still go for the same starting XI, the focus would then be about movement and swapping positions. That means Dembele, Sigurdsson, Sandro and of course our forwards need to be dynamic and on the move, part of the reason why I prefer Adebayor to Defoe in this game as he does this naturally. If they go 4-4-2, that's also fine by me as we can out number them in the centre of the pitch. So my starting lineup in a 4-3-3 will be:

Lloris

Walker
Dawson
Vertonghen
Naughton

Sandro
Dembele
Sigurdsson

Lennon
Adebayor
Bale

Subs depend on how the game is going and how Villa are changing, so I'm not sure it's appropriate to go into any great detail on them. I'd like to see Assou-Ekotto get a run out if possible, I'm sure Parker and Defoe will play though.

Villa away on Boxing Day. The scene and date of one of the finest 10 man performances and Tottenham goals I can remember

http://www.soccerclips.net/videos/aston-villa-0-2-tottenham-van-der-vaart1

It is great to be an armchair coach / manager. Although I think you are quite good at it.
Just stop being a AVB hater and get behind the team. All will be well - Hakuna Matata.

The first bolded comment: They did not come out to attack. They parked the bus. I don't even think they got out of their half many times.

The second bolded comment: Ade was brick and has been for most of the season. He is a potentially a good forward, that can hold the ball and bring others into the game. But he is not doing this at the moment. Plus his shot at goal is the weakest I have seen from any striker.

Therefore I think AVB did the right thing and went 442 - which included 10 of your starting 11. Not bad eh.
And he did bring on Siggy early. And Parker for an injured Moussa. He also brought on Townsend to safeguard Bale. Great and timely subs for me.

So dear Sir, what was you honest opinion on how AVB performed. Is it better than a C ? :-k :-"

Last edited:
A view from some Villa fans:

It's ok though, the lads are young and hungry. That is all that counts.....

Worst Villa team I have ever seen. Embarassed by Lambert and his crap kids. fudge Off Lerner

Utterly embarrassing.

A disgrace to the good name of our football club. Whether or not Lambert is the right man is open to debate. What isn’t open to debate is that he is accountable for this rubbish being served up. That midfield today was asking to be run over and as for the stupid 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 system... It's failure of comical proportions.

I await the apologists to come in here and defend this mess, just as they did after the 8-0. This is not a work in progress. We have 19 games to save ourselves from the ultimate disaster. We don’t have time for works in progress. We need improvement and points right now. I was non-perplexed after the 8-0 because I chalked it down to a one-off. And now days later we have been humped further and even easier.

Under Houllier and McCleish it was bad, very bad but we weren’t humiliated to this extent. This is the lowest eb of our football club in 20 years of me watching them. I'm absolutely furious with what I have witnessed. It’s a complete disgrace that we have let this happen to ourselves.

Spurs are a good team and we always knew that we would struggle this season. I think any manager would struggle but to do so in the manner we have is worrying. We look as if we're going to get tonked against the better teams in the league this season.

As for the game itself, the better team most definitely won. Spurs have a scary amount of talent in their first team, well done to them today. We look short of quality, confidence and composure in every department excluding goalkeeper.

Must be horrible being a Villa fan right now but 2 games ago it was great!!

I would not be blaming the chairman myself because very appointment he made as manager made sense. We just don't realise how great our chairman is.

Really delighted with our performance and the result. This is the sort of win that lifts the team and the fans. And the fact this being one of our biggest ever away win and we managed to keep a clean sheet in that, makes it all the more sweet. Villa was poor but we deserve some credit for playing well start to finish. The only disappointing thing was we should have won by a bigger margin.

Really delighted for Bale scoring his first ever hattrick in the league. He is more than capable of scoring more hattricks if he can perform consistently. Bale has already scored 9 league goals this season, which was his total league goals of last season. It shows Bale is improving all the time. Just hope we can keep him for a long long time. I think Defoe's goal was crucial for us as it helped us calmed down. Defoe needed that goal after not scoring for 3 matches. Hope both Bale and Defoe can continue this goal scoring in the next matches. Was again disappointed by the contribution of Adebayor who didn't do anything of note. Won't be surprised if Dempsey replaces him for the next match.

Our midfield played a big part on this big win. Apart from Bale getting the hattrick, Lennon and Sigurdsson got assists for the goals which was nice to see. Even Sandro had a hand in our first goal as it was his tackle which created the opening. Only disappointing thing was Dembele didn't play a greater role in our attack. Wish Dembele can be more commanding in midfield like Modric used to be. Nice to see Parker returning to protect our defence again.

Big credit to our defence for keeping our third consecutive clean sheet. We were helped by Villa being toothless in attack. But Vertonghen and Gallas were soild in defence as well. Apart from their defensive work, both Walker and Naughton also had a hand in our goals. The fact Lloris had virtually nothing to do the entire match, shows how solid our defence were. Hope they can continue their good work in our next match.

We really needed this win to keep in touch with the others in the top 4 race. The fact we won convincingly and hugely will boost our confidence in our upcoming matches. Just hope we don't get complacent because of this win.

Last edited:
Back