• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

TOTTENHAM vs. ASTON VILLA - OMT

We were ticka tacka with no penetration and no guile. Just passing around the box, hopeful cross to nobody, then more passing and passing. We need someone with either (1) a brain to unpick the vital pass like Naughton did today or (2) a battering ram to knock home the crosses or (3) someone that can shoot from outside the box like Siggurdssson.

Adebayor and Defoe were powder puff today and yes, I know Defoe scored.

About as skewed a view of a performance as I have read today. Ade was not at the races first-half, but second-half he was a beast, did all sorts of hard work, don't know what match you were watching! Defoe too stepped up his game second-half. As for the first-half, yes Guzman only had two saves of note to make but that's because I counted minimum three potentially goal-saving blocks from Villa defenders; first half could very easily have been 2 or 3 nil. Yes, when Villa were being pressed deep it was frustrating but we never EVER lost patience. And we didn't lose possession cheaply more than once or twice.

Sometimes I wonder what people want.

Next two games would be the real test. AVB has thus far kept the same team formation, with minor tweaks to the defense from game to game. Not sure the other players could keep up to this kind of punishing schedule. We were on an even better run this time last season.

Yes, the team is booming with confidence right now. I think even before the Spammers game, they were in good spirit too (see that Callum Special Day video)

The whole season is a real test mate, and I'm not under any illusions as to that fact...but the consistent signs are there...three clean sheets, increased possession...I'm sure we will still see some, hmm, less than exciting matches, but I firmly believe we are all seeing a system which will work for us massively in the future...

Gutted we couldnt go today, but looking forward to SOL on Saturday, although I'm worried we should actually go.
miss the Fulham game...win 3-0
go to Goodison..defeat
miss the Villa game. :-k Hope we're not a jinx

Take one for the team Paxton. Feet up, don't go...

As for the first-half, yes Guzman only had two saves of note to make but that's because I counted minimum three potentially goal-saving blocks from Villa defenders; first half could very easily have been 2 or 3 nil.

Yes, especially in the first half. The one Defoe put through by Ade immediately came to mind. They blocked quite a number of shots into corners (according to whoscored, they blocked 8 shots in total, I think about 6 or 7 were in first half). It's like Stoke game, we could have won it if the luck was on our side (Ade, Bale and Sig, THREE clean cut heading opportunities vs. Stoke!).

Anyone at Villa Park, what's the wind level there? We seems to whack the ball out of play a lot.

Its clear Mousa needs a rest. I would personally through Carroll up against Sunderland, cannot see a Parker/Sandro partnership offering much in terms of creativity.

Its clear Mousa needs a rest. I would personally through Carroll up against Sunderland, cannot see a Parker/Sandro partnership offering much in terms of creativity.

If anything id rest Moussa for Reading although Parker and Sandro can do a job against Sunderland

Not sure why Dembele needs a rest - he came back about three games ago

I like what Villa are trying to do with the young team, it's quite refreshing to see (when you have to put up with thelikes of City and Chelsea), that said, it's a big risk perhaps they need a bit more experience in the side, particularly as they cannot play Liverpool every week and their goal difference may mean big trouble.

That said, we have brilliant tempo and some of the passing in the second half was sublime.

I wanted Walker to push up more rather than just give it to Azza but perhaps that's a great idea from AVB (seeing as Walker's crossing isn't his strong point), this way he doesn't tread on Azza's toes and just defends.

Gallas - another good game and showed his experience against the currently hyped Benteke.

What impressed me the most was the work rate and effort of the whole team, especially considering the fixure pile up during this festive season.

Onwards and upwards!
COYS

Oops forgot to add, quite impressed but the offside line this season - can only get better

About as skewed a view of a performance as I have read today. Ade was not at the races first-half, but second-half he was a beast, did all sorts of hard work, don't know what match you were watching! Defoe too stepped up his game second-half. As for the first-half, yes Guzman only had two saves of note to make but that's because I counted minimum three potentially goal-saving blocks from Villa defenders; first half could very easily have been 2 or 3 nil. Yes, when Villa were being pressed deep it was frustrating but we never EVER lost patience. And we didn't lose possession cheaply more than once or twice.

Sometimes I wonder what people want.

A lot of what you say is true Steff, but see your bit in bold above?

Exactly! I actually wanted us to lose our patience and turn it up a notch - we were patient, patient, patient. Seemed like the players were thinking "surely it will come good, surely we have time, surely eventually someone else will knock one in..."

We had the possession but nobody was saying THIS IS MY GAME, GIVE ME THE BALL, HERE I GO! and really going for it. A bit of anger and drive and determination, not just "trying quite hard" but really turning it up to 11.

Seems to me like Lennon Defoe and Adebayor are a shadow of what they could be.

Thank GHod they had to change formation due to injury, or it could have been the Stoke game all over again - don't get fooled by the four goals once they had to change everything.

If anything id rest Moussa for Reading although Parker and Sandro can do a job against Sunderland

Not sure why Dembele needs a rest - he came back about three games ago

I hope I'm wrong, but I think Dembele has an injury that is going to need careful preventative management throughout the rest of the season and an op in the summer. Hope I'm wrong...

I hope I'm wrong, but I think Dembele has an injury that is going to need careful preventative management throughout the rest of the season and an op in the summer. Hope I'm wrong...

He looks injured maybe thats why we want Sneijder? I dont know. We got Parker back now which im ecstatic about. im just so much more comfortable with him in the side.

1st Jan 1996. Teddy scored & it was 4-1. Took my eldest son to his 1st game.....magical night!
was that new years day? we need stato to help us out here because i can not even remember the year but im sure i was at the lane when we beat man u on new years day, hope we do the same for reading because i will be there for it.

You know i have a feeling sheringham scored but don't quote me on it.

Well done to Spurs, that result kept us in the CL race, IMHO.

I'd play Sandro and Parker up at SOL, then whoever else depending on fitness, I'd definitely play Dempsey though if fit and Dawson.

I said before the game that most people on this site could name a team of 12 players if it were allowed and now make that 13.
Best thing of the night for me was all of our players scampering and chasing down the Villa players deep in ET. That displays great team spirit and the fact that nobody's place is guaranteed.
A couple of things defensively I could carp about but I won't. Only that freak Everton result disturbs a run of 6 wins and 2 draws since the Arsenal game and 4 clean sheets.

Felt sorry for Villa, got a young team full of good talent, no real experience or wise heads is costing them massively..

Good performance, nice killer instinct in the 2nd half, loved Bale tonight, what a player

and Freund, hahahah I love the bloke

Back