• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs SUNDERLAND - OMT

Provisional squad for Sunderland:

Friedel, Lloris, Gomes, Cudicini, Walker, Naughton, Assou-Ekotto, Gallas, Caulker, Dawson, Vertonghen, Lennon, Sigurdsson, Townsend, Bale, Falque, Carroll, Mason, Livermore, Sandro, Huddlestone, Dembele, Parker, Dempsey, Adebayor, Defoe.

You might be the guy who knows this, Statto. Do all 4 goalies travel to away games and how many of that squad would?

Unlike Villa, Sunderland have the patience to play out a 0-0 and not turn suicidal all of a sudden (although that's welcome, of course). So it'll end 0-0.

Unlike Villa, Sunderland have the patience to play out a 0-0 and not turn suicidal all of a sudden (although that's welcome, of course). So it'll end 0-0.

I thought that...then again, Sunderland's home support can be quite ferocious, and they have adam johnson and james mcclean in the team, so i reasoned that though their strategy might be more patient, theyve got players who wont be able to help themselves, which should leave exploitable gaps.

Aye, they do (have the patience). I could definitely see a repeat of last year's match at the Stadium of Light potentially happening Rrarely have I seen such a NEGATIVE performance from a home team as during that one... they barely attacked us all game, sat deep, no space in behind, just lobbed the occasional ball down the channels. A classic MON team. It's a shame cos they have some good players... Sessegnon in particular.

I thought that...then again, Sunderland's home support can be quite ferocious, and they have adam johnson and james mcclean in the team, so i reasoned that though their strategy might be more patient, theyve got players who wont be able to help themselves, which should leave exploitable gaps.

Yeah, but both those players are very disciplined defensively I think... hardworking... so they get back in shape really quickly...

STILL: we are hopefully learning how to play these types of teams... and after all, it's a massive compliment to the abilities of our side. Gotta be patient, gotta keep the ball, stay watchful at the back and yeah, eventually home teams have to attack even just a bit (just like Villa did on Wed, to their eventual downfall), which leads to space and an actual football match... which is when the Yids really come to town.

I'll plump for 1-0 Spurs, Bale with the goal.

Totally agree with LKI's post above. We went to last seasons game in April and it was dire, I think it's the most bored I have ever been at any Spurs awayday, awful awful game.

We'll be on the road in a couple of hours enroute to Sunderland, hopeful of a better result than last season, especially after Boxing Day. A couple of weeks ago I would have been very confident of a win tomorrow, but their recent upturn in form had come at the wrong time for us.
As had been suggested I feel it all depends on how they set up, I think they will be more adventurous than last season which should help our style of play on the road. I'm going for a 2-1 nervy finish win for Spurs

Yes, Fletcher's basically Defoe. Good finisher but outside of that you don't really get a lot. Here's the latest Danny Rose thread on their forum from what I can see - http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=750905

Are you sure you aren't letting that wondergoal against Arsenal cloud your judgement?

That's very nice if Sunderland fans rate him, but I have seen enough of him to form my own opinion. And I've actually seen him more play more times than they have.

Are you sure you aren't letting that wondergoal against Arsenal cloud your judgement?

That's very nice if Sunderland fans rate him, but I have seen enough of him to form my own opinion. And I've actually seen him more play more times than they have.
This season? Either they are delusional or it sounds like Rose got a lot better.

You might be the guy who knows this, Statto. Do all 4 goalies travel to away games and how many of that squad would?

I think 4 would be a little excessive.

I'm sure three would be part of the 19 or 20 man squad which goes to an away match though.

AVB ON BLACK CATS:

Andre Villas-Boas expects a tough test at Sunderland on Saturday - against a team that toppled champions Emirates Marketing Project on Boxing Day.

Adam Johnson’s strike was enough for a 1-0 win for the Black Cats at the Stadium of Light.

That made it three wins in the last four matches to move Martin O’Neill’s men up to 13th in the Premier League.

Our Boxing Day win at Aston Villa stretched our run to one defeat in seven and lifted us back up to fourth in the table.

“Hopefully we’ll take this form to Sunderland.,” said Andre.

“But they have just won against the champions, they also won against Southampton and they’ve now come out of the relegation zone.

“We expect a difficult game there. We are on a good run as well, but in the Premier League anything can happen.

“It’s been a good December for us apart from the late slip against Everton and the draw at home against Stoke. If we can take this form through it could put us in a good position at the beginning of the year.”

Just noticed that Sunderland's shirt sponsors are "Invest in Africa"....wouldnt that sponsorship money be better spent investing in Africa? :-k

No because I've actually watched tons of him this season, you can search any Danny Rose related thread on this forum and you'd see that I'm not just basing it off a Sunderland forum. To me it seems like you've watched him a handful of times for Spurs, saw him get sent off for Villa and you've just decided that he's crap, you don't want to acknowledge anything about him, he's gone, written off, terrible player. It's a shame you think that way, I have faith in our management to see what a good player he can become and already is, I expect to see him back here and he'll be a big player for us in the future.

Rose has barley played 30 games for Spurs over a 5 year period - looks/sounds like he has taken this loan move to Sunderland by the horns, would be stupid not to re evaluate his progress. after all there was a period of a few games towards the end of one season in particular where everyone thought we had a real player on our hands.

No because I've actually watched tons of him this season, you can search any Danny Rose related thread on this forum and you'd see that I'm not just basing it off a Sunderland forum. To me it seems like you've watched him a handful of times for Spurs, saw him get sent off for Villa and you've just decided that he's crap, you don't want to acknowledge anything about him, he's gone, written off, terrible player. It's a shame you think that way, I have faith in our management to see what a good player he can become and already is, I expect to see him back here and he'll be a big player for us in the future.

I've watched him plenty over the last few seasons. I really don't see why it bothers you that I don't rate him. I can think of a couple of games where he stood out for Spurs, but as a footballer I don't rate him, I don't think he's a very good defender either.

i reckon we'll recall him in Jan - see how he does for the remainder of the season and then make a judgment come the summer.

I've watched him plenty over the last few seasons. I really don't see why it bothers you that I don't rate him. I can think of a couple of games where he stood out for Spurs, but as a footballer I don't rate him, I don't think he's a very good defender either.

I don't know how you've seen plenty of him when he hasn't even played consistent first team football up until this season. Last season he got the final 4 games due to BAE's injury, he'd spent pretty much the entire season doing nothing and when he comes in looking understandably rusty and not immediately up to the standard of BAE he gets labelled as crap, he wasn't even bad in the games he played either. He made one silly tackle vs Villa, probably as he was desperately trying to impress and that's him done. The previous season again he got the final 4 or so games and played well, it doesn't bother me that you don't rate him, it bothers me that you and others more or less insist on not wanting to acknowledge anything he's done since then. He's genuinely been one of the best full backs in the league this season but you just don't want to know and are happy at just laughing at other posters who can see the value in him as a player.

Anyway this isn't a Danny Rose thread and he won't be playing tomorrow so I'll leave it there.

BALE ON SUNDERLAND:

Gareth Bale expects nothing less than our annual tough encounter at the Stadium of Light on Saturday.

We’ve won just once on Wearside since the Black Cats’ return to the Premier League in 2005-06, although three of those six matches have been hard-fought draws.

Martin O’Neill’s men have struggled for consistent form so far this season but their fine win over champions Emirates Marketing Project on Boxing Day marked their third win in four and moved them up to 15th in the Premier League.

We moved back into fourth with a 4-0 win at Villa and now only leaders Manchester United have won more away games (seven to our five) and scored more goals on their travels (22 to our 20).

Gareth led the way with a fantastic hat-trick at Villa – his first in the Premier League – but quickly turned his attention to Sunderland.

“Sunderland are at the wrong end of the table at the moment, fighting for their lives and they will make it a difficult game up there, just like they do every year,” said the flying winger.

“We’ll recover from Villa and then it’s up to Sunderland, hopefully we can put a good performance just like we did at Villa Park.

"It will be tough but we'll go there looking for all three points."

Back