• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur vs Burnley *** FA Cup OMT ***

Is it not more that people think always having to focus on the next match straight after the last one finishes we are losing time which can be spent working on other things?

This is probably the case. You get less time working on style of play and such things, but that is not what was said. It was argued that teams these days do such a lot of match specific tactical preparation; they feed the players with so much information that there simply wouldn't be enough time to prepare the team/players for the next match when there is only two days between matches.

Quite pleased with the result though drawn away to a pl side was always going to be tough to win. I don't understand people saying would rather we lost?! Shocking and rich imo

I shouldn't draw conclusions about players performances but it is kind of frustrating it's the same 3 players over and over who have to deliver. I was just hoping someone like Paulinho or Soldado would chip in with a goal or two. I also was harsh on Stambouli and shouldn't be without watching but for him to get subbed at halftime doesn't look good

Let's stuff them on the replay anyway COYS

Totally agree, much rather that we are still in the hat. 2 home games to win against opposition who ain't doing that great this season and we are in the 5th round. Let's hope we can bolster the squad a bit in January with 1 or 2 new faces, to enable Poch to compete on all fronts.

This is probably the case. You get less time working on style of play and such things, but that is not what was said. It was argued that teams these days do such a lot of match specific tactical preparation; they feed the players with so much information that there simply wouldn't be enough time to prepare the team/players for the next match when there is only two days between matches.

I didn't realise that is what was said, in that case i disagree with that idea - i think it's not ideal, but that's because it gives you less time to work on non match related areas not that you don't hvbe enough time to prepare for the match.

Always thought this would be a tough game and I for one am happy we did not lose. Anyway I have just been on the bbc site and saw that Sean Dyche said something on the lines of they were up against a £130 million team tonight. Surely even with Soldado starting our players who played tonight did not cost that much. Can someone tell me how much the 14 players we used tonight add up to? I know Burnleys squad tonight cost no where near what ours did, but £130 mil?

I didn't realise that is what was said, in that case i disagree with that idea - i think it's not ideal, but that's because it gives you less time to work on non match related areas not that you don't hvbe enough time to prepare for the match.

It's seems like we are in agreement then.

Put out the youth lads in the replay, and save everyone bar the fringe members of the first team. We've got a relentless schedule, and there's a danger that Poch's high pressing, demanding game will burn us out completely if we're in all the competitions by March.

-----------------------------------Vorm------------------------------------

Yedlin-------------Kaboul-------------------------Dier-------------Davies

--------------------Veljkovic------------------------Capoue-------------

Lennon------------------------Onomah-------------------------Paulinho

----------------------------------Ade (yes, him)---------------------------

Subs: Archer, Hall, Rose, Edwards, Georgiou, Dembele, Oduwa

Something along those lines.

Put out the youth lads in the replay, and save everyone bar the fringe members of the first team. We've got a relentless schedule, and there's a danger that Poch's high pressing, demanding game will burn us out completely if we're in all the competitions by March.

burnout is something that bothers me, we saw it with redknapp when he did not rotate.

burnout is something that bothers me, we saw it with redknapp when he did not rotate.

Used to happen in almost every game post October-ish: we'd come flying out like tigers, take a lead, and then get more and more tired until finally we ended up defending on the edge of our own penalty box. Or...we'd come out flying, fail to score and then get done on the counter in the 85th minute.

With Poch's manic pressing game, I feel it's even more dangerous to expose the squad to any great amount of fatigue. The consequences could be catastrophic.

we lost to relegation strugglers with our strongest team at home, so this result with a mainly second string is progress to me.

we didn't lose, and we now know we have leceister to play for next round, the next game will one that we win.

things are looking quite fine, as poch did manage to rotate the squad quite heavily.

I agree with this. I question his philosophy when it comes to breaking down teams who sit back in numbers, though. We seem to lack ideas badly in this respect.

And whatever people might say, it is bull**** that two days between the games against Burnley and Sunderland is not enough to prepare the team. It can be a physical problem if the same players are in action, but it is not as problem in terms of getting the players tactically ready for the match. Football isn't that complicated.

Two things.

1) He does not yet have the calibre of squad and player in every position necessary to execute what he wants every time. Plus, if as you yourself say 'football isn't that complicated' then when you face sides who put men behind the ball and sit deep, it will come down to experience, moments and quality. It is the difference between a Silva and a Townsend, an Aguero and a Soldado, a YaYa and a Mason. Poch is not the first Spurs manager to face the issues you speak of, but he is the first I have seen sticking to his guns about the sort of squad he wants to build/the characters he wants to shop out of the club for generally ****ing things up on a day-to-day basis with ****ty attitudes.

2) When you do NOT have an entire squad on the same page, and when you are rotating, you need extra time to prepare, to remind, to re-focus. Do not make the mistake of thinking that all the players give 110% rightness regardless. It is why he wants to shift a fair few of them. Because in those moments where you need full focus and quality to win tight matches/matches where the oppo are sitting deep, you need everyone 100% dialed in.

EDIT: KofN...in looking at the exchange between you and Billy, I've surmised we are all actually in general agreement!!!!!????

A nice gesture by Spurs would be free tickets to the replay for the fans who made the long trek up to Burnley.

It wouldn't cost the club very much and could have a huge positive impact on Tottenham's image.

How about it, Daniel?

I have read anyone saying that. Preparing for the next match undoubtedly happens but so does working on things from the last one, working and assessing fitness, we have a lot of very young and inexperienced players, so there will be a lot of work on their personal improvement going on. I think that the argument is that all you can work on when you have a lot of fixtures is patching people up and preparing for the next game.

A nice gesture by Spurs would be free tickets to the replay for the fans who made the long trek up to Burnley.

It wouldn't cost the club very much and could have a huge positive impact on Tottenham's image.

How about it, Daniel?

Excellent idea, however the stumbling block is bolded ;)

I'm not sure we're able to pick QPR players for FA Cup ties.

[-o<

Vorm, Naugton, Dier, Vlad, Davies, Stambouli, Dembele, Lennon, Townsend, Ade, Soldado

11 that won't start the next PL game . go for it

**** defending for the equaliser

Not sure if mentioned but Ben Davies. He let the initial through ball go and then, after ambling back into the area, deflected the cross into the path of Vokes. Shame after he provided the assist for Chadli. Tbf I think they all got in to the "we've won this" mode once Chadli'd scored.

Really disappointed we failed to beat Burnley and now need to play a replay instead. After the excellent win against Chel53a, it is clear we got complacent against another bottom team. We always seem to play well against big teams and struggle against weak teams. We really need to overcome this mentality if we want to achieve anything this season.

It is a pity this match was not shown live or delayed on any TV stations. But from the media reports, it seems we struggled badly against Burnley. Credit to Chadli for scoring our only goal. But it is disappointing we couldn't score more than 1 goal. Even more disappointing that we couldn't stop teams like Burnley from scoring against us.

Cannot complain much about Pochettino's team selections as we fielded a very strong team apart from Lloris and Kane who came on in the 2nd half. It is disappointing that Soldado and Paulinho failed to impress despite starting this match. Too bad Lamela was not fit to play. After scoring the wonder goal against Burnley in the league, maybe he would have tried something similiar.

We can expect another tough match when we play Burney at home in the replay. The only time Burnley won the FA Cup was 100 years ago in 1914. Maybe they will think they can get lucky whenever the year finishes in "14". We better do something to beat them. Otherwise, this will be another humiliating result for us this season.

Last edited:
a draw isn't that bad as we got 7 fresh players on the pitch to increase their game time.

if anything i think burnley will be worse for wear.

Back