• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur vs Burnley *** FA Cup OMT ***

Missed Ryan Mason today.

Having not watched the game at all I feel quite confident in saying that both Mason and Bentaleb were sorely missed.

Somewhat worrying that the player looking most likely to be Bentaleb's backup during the ACON (Stambouli) was taken off at half time. Of him, Dembele and Paulinho it was probably Stambouli that had looked the most capable of taking charge to up our tempo and put in some purposeful quick passes in the absence of the two youngsters.

Said it before the game. The fact that Mason was talked about as a doubt was a good sign for our other upcoming games, hopefully he won't be out for long.

I really don't understand the mentality of this. Same when people say "the players in the europa are different so it shouldn't affect our league form" It's not just about the personnel, it's about two more important things, what takes up the mind, and also what you're preparing for in training.

I don't buy that excuse. How many days do you need in training to specifically prepare for one game? They will have two full days to prepare for Sunderland. That is enough. It is not as if we play in completely different ways from game to game anyway, certainly not for two home games against opposition of fairly similar quality. Pochettino always talks about his "philosophy" (although I am not quite sure what it is), so surely we work on that on a regular basis, and have certain principles we want to follow week in week out. It is not as if Pochettino makes one masterplan to conquer Burnley, and then the next day he wipes the whiteboard clean and starts teaching the players completely new things.

Got back late from work tonight, so didn't see/hear any of the game. Not too surprising that we found it hard, away game to Premier League oppotision with Soldado leading the line for 1 half, effectively wasting a half of football. We desperately need another forward to lighten the load for Kane. And get Tom Carroll back from loan, Pritchard too.

We'll beat them in the replay and then we got Leicester at home. :)

I don't buy that excuse. How many days do you need in training to specifically prepare for one game? They will have two full days to prepare for Sunderland. That is enough. It is not as if we play in completely different ways from game to game anyway, certainly not for two home games against opposition of fairly similar quality. Pochettino always talks about his "philosophy" (although I am not quite sure what it is), so surely we work on that on a regular basis, and have certain principles we want to follow week in week out. It is not as if Pochettino makes one masterplan to conquer Burnley, and then the next day he wipes the whiteboard clean and starts teaching the players completely new things.

Can I ask you a question? How much preparation for games do you think clubs do? Do you think that players receive specific instructions on the players that they will be up against? Do you think that we vary passages of play or positioning to try and take advantage of perceived weaknesses? Do you think that we go over mistakes that we have made in previous games to try and stop them being repeated? Do you think that the coach has a plan for what he wants to work on and improve over the season?

when you are playing midweek-weekend-midweek id imagine the vast majority of your time on the training field will be match specific

Some of the criticism here makes me laugh.
Yes, I know, people have a right to moan etc, etc, etc...but equal, when people moan without applying one iota of context beyond a PS4 game's basis of what modern professional football is, then be prepared for comebacks.

To answer Norway specifically, Poch obviously want a front four which are fast, fluid and interchangeable complemented by a ball-playing, higher in defense, in turn complemented by a pressing midfield. He wants hard work for 95 minutes. He wants coverage on turnover of possession and he wants, overall, ball retention. It is not hard to see what he wants at all. What should be BLINDINGLY obvious, is that he does not have a full squad who can all rotate and execute this style consistently. He has made great strides in getting the squad onside with what he believes and weeding out the wasters; my GHod strong bet is that there are at least another 7-8 he wants to replace.

With regards to preparing for a match, Chelski play a more attacking game. Burnley are a little more, shall we say, stoic. I can absolutely see that given who he doesn't have available right now (his central midfield pairing of the last, oh, 6-7 games for a start) plus the contrasting styles, plus the need to allow some rest and recovery, that these games are coming thick and fast, almost too fast to prepare properly.

I didn't want a draw, but I credit these players for fighting and making sure they didn't lose tonight.

I wish people would give Poch the time, and more importantly respect, he has earned right now.

Yes. I alms think we've gone backwards from last season a bit in all honesty.

I actually just typed a whole response comparing last season with this. Unfortunately for me the words painted a startlingly similar picture when comparing the two.

Overall I feel that we have made progress this season for two main reasons:

A style of play is emerging. Last season started off with a team that seemed to be built for one superstar to shine, without having anyone talented enough to fill the role. Under Sherwood it was unpredictable, fun but there seemed to be no direction. This season is the first in years where we have seen quick, clever passing moves; they haven't always come off and there's still alot to be worked on but I think our best football this season is better than the best examples of last season. We're starting to see a proper strategy for getting the ball back. In short, everything seems more coordinated than under either manager last season.

Players have individually improved. In recent weeks, especially, I think it's been noticeable that a number of players appear to be learning and adding things to their game to have an impact. Kane, Eriksen, Mason, Chadli, Townsend, Rose, (even Dembele) while none of them are the finished article I think there is evidence that they're all improving.

There's been so much upheaval recently that this is essentially a new team. It's clearly going to be a while before we start seeing consistent performances from the team but what do you expect? The way they play now is better than the way they played at the beginning of the season - if that isn't progress then I'm not sure we're defining the word in the same way.

To answer Norway specifically, Poch obviously want a front four which are fast, fluid and interchangeable complemented by a ball-playing, higher in defense, in turn complemented by a pressing midfield. He wants hard work for 95 minutes. He wants coverage on turnover of possession and he wants, overall, ball retention. It is not hard to see what he wants at all. What should be BLINDINGLY obvious, is that he does not have a full squad who can all rotate and execute this style consistently. He has made great strides in getting the squad onside with what he believes and weeding out the wasters; my GHod strong bet is that there are at least another 7-8 he wants to replace.

Absolutely. And on top of this we have all of the fitness and injury management stuff which would go on between games that we would have less time for. Our players will be wearing heart monitors in every training session and the results used in help decide match day squads. The data from our games and our opponents games will be gone over with a fine toothed comb to help identify what to work on it training...

Actually quite intrigued to hear some accounts from people at the game I'm sure soldados hold up play was superb and he got no service haha

I wish some of you would just **** off and support City or Chelsea.

And others sought professional help for what sounds like clinical depression.

How much game time have some of these players had recently? Yet they are expected to go out there and tear it up.
If Soldado, paulinho or stambouli had went out and had man of the match performance, bagged a couple goals or assists would we have been clamouring for Kane, mason or eriksen to be dropped? After all that's what every one keeps saying, do will in the cups and you play in the league. Managing a squad isn't that easy, sometimes it will work, Chelsea game, sometimes it won't i.e Stoke game. Then there's games like tonight where you have to gamble a little. So it didn't really work, big deal we get another throw.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Can I ask you a question? How much preparation for games do you think clubs do? Do you think that players receive specific instructions on the players that they will be up against? Do you think that we vary passages of play or positioning to try and take advantage of perceived weaknesses? Do you think that we go over mistakes that we have made in previous games to try and stop them being repeated? Do you think that the coach has a plan for what he wants to work on and improve over the season?

There is obviously an element of preparing teams for specific games, but I don't think there is as much of it as you think. There will be little tweaks for different teams, but If you believe that players are prepared in detail about the opposition for days in advance of games, I reckon you are wrong. I think Pochettino has a way in which he wants to play, and getting the players used to that style of play is what we spend the most time on in training. The focus is mostly on implementing his style. I think you overestimate the time that is actually spent on briefing players on the opposition. There are some managers who do it more than others (Mourinho apparently gives/or used to give his players a dossier to read), but I doubt that most managers do it to that extent. Instead most managers give the players a few instructions, a few things he wants from them in that particular game and the same for the team as a whole. Too many things, and it becomes too complicated.

I have been coached by someone who now is head coach of a club in the top league in Norway, and although the level is lower, I do know some things about how a coach at a high level might work.

Some of the criticism here makes me laugh.
Yes, I know, people have a right to moan etc, etc, etc...but equal, when people moan without applying one iota of context beyond a PS4 game's basis of what modern professional football is, then be prepared for comebacks.

With regards to preparing for a match, Chelski play a more attacking game. Burnley are a little more, shall we say, stoic. I can absolutely see that given who he doesn't have available right now (his central midfield pairing of the last, oh, 6-7 games for a start) plus the contrasting styles, plus the need to allow some rest and recovery, that these games are coming thick and fast, almost too fast to prepare properly.

I didn't want a draw, but I credit these players for fighting and making sure they didn't lose tonight.

I wish people would give Poch the time, and more importantly respect, he has earned right now.

I agree with this. I question his philosophy when it comes to breaking down teams who sit back in numbers, though. We seem to lack ideas badly in this respect.

And whatever people might say, it is bull**** that two days between the games against Burnley and Sunderland is not enough to prepare the team. It can be a physical problem if the same players are in action, but it is not as problem in terms of getting the players tactically ready for the match. Football isn't that complicated.

We'll spend at least a day, sometimes two, working on things with the next game specifically in mind.

After each game there will be a day of rest or light training. When you're playing every 3 or 4 days that does not leave a lot of time to work on other things.

Wednesday - prepare for game
Thursday - game
Friday - light training
Saturday - prepare for game
Sunday - game
Monday - rest
Tuesday - prepare for game
Wednesday - game
Thursday - light training
Friday - prepare for game
Saturday - game
Sunday - rest

Then you have two days before the schedule repeats or it's an international break and you get no time.

I agree with this. I question his philosophy when it comes to breaking down teams who sit back in numbers, though. We seem to lack ideas badly in this respect.

And whatever people might say, it is bull**** that two days between the games against Burnley and Sunderland is not enough to prepare the team. It can be a physical problem if the same players are in action, but it is not as problem in terms of getting the players tactically ready for the match. Football isn't that complicated.

Is it not more that people think always having to focus on the next match straight after the last one finishes we are losing time which can be spent working on other things?

We'll spend at least a day, sometimes two, working on things with the next game specifically in mind.

After each game there will be a day of rest or light training. When you're playing every 3 or 4 days that does not leave a lot of time to work on other things.

Wednesday - prepare for game
Thursday - game
Friday - light training
Saturday - prepare for game
Sunday - game
Monday - rest
Tuesday - prepare for game
Wednesday - game
Thursday - light training
Friday - prepare for game
Saturday - game
Sunday - rest

Then you have two days before the schedule repeats or it's an international break and you get no time.
But you can easily prepare for the next game tactically on the day after a match when players rest/train lightly/recover. It is not as if players sit at home watching Home and Away and The Little House on the Prairie all day. They go the training ground and can prepare tactically either through video and/or by training lightly.

Quite pleased with the result though drawn away to a pl side was always going to be tough to win. I don't understand people saying would rather we lost?! Shocking and rich imo

I shouldn't draw conclusions about players performances but it is kind of frustrating it's the same 3 players over and over who have to deliver. I was just hoping someone like Paulinho or Soldado would chip in with a goal or two. I also was harsh on Stambouli and shouldn't be without watching but for him to get subbed at halftime doesn't look good

Let's stuff them on the replay anyway COYS

Back