• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***Tottenham Hotspur v Fulham OMT***

:lol:

In terms of who to blame/what has caused this poor run of form I think those blaming our strikers are missing the point. AVB has tried and failed to get results without a natural wide man, hopefully Lennon will be back soon, otherwise he needs to switch it up.

Prior to Lennon's injury we had constantly had 1 wide-man in our midfield at least. Our squad (especially our deep CMs, but also Bale, Sig, Dempsey) are not technically gifted nor creative enough to play in a narrow AM trio. Even if they were, they would still need to be playing wider than they were today to allow their counterpart on the opposite wing space to cut in. Since we've lost Lennon, Bale has never returned to an out-and-out winger role, and we've lost all 3 games.

I think with Adebayor starting we have enough to break down most teams and win most games. We went on a poor run when he was at the African Nations and it wasn't a coincidence IMO. He might be a limited player - offering little goal threat, but he gave us just about enough to edge games through stretching the game high up the pitch mainly by moving from the centre to the left, while Lennon stayed generally wide on the right, stretching it in the opposite direction, albeit slightly deeper.

Without a more positionally effective midfield, Adebayor becomes less useful - his movement creates space high up the pitch that is useful when the midfield behind him can play the ball into/break rank and attack this space he makes. If the midfield can't find space, as is the case without a winger, Adebayor's movement will never be utilised and his role is reduced. This is especially true when the left wing is so empty that he must constantly be stood on the left touchline to give the left-back an option, as happened time and time again today, being sucked into the role of winger rather than striker.

But we are entitled to expect so much more from Ade than he has been giving us. He has the talent and ability - but not once this season has he shown the heart or the desire. A top centre forward should be making and scoring goals. He is doing neither - and whats more doesnt look like he wants to.

Just realised we had no less than four players playing out of position today - Verts, BAE, Sig and Bale. No wonder we were all over the place.

What an awful game that was today. I'm not going to panic though. We've had a bad week. We were unlucky at liverpool, got well beat in Milan with rotation, and didn't turn up today at all. We now have a two week break and the players will come back knowing what we have to do. We can't panic as fans, we need to get fully behind them, if we turn up to games and create no atmosphere (like today) it will go onto the pitch and make the players more nervous too.

Today was just one of those days. AVB got the team wrong, the players didn't play well at all, that's it. We move on to the next game, with 8 massive ones left, and we get ourselves champions league football

I've felt all season that we should have signed Berba rather than Ade - that's if utd would have sold to us. Berba getting on to the end of crosses from Bale and Lennon would have been awesome.

What an awful game that was today. I'm not going to panic though. We've had a bad week. We were unlucky at liverpool, got well beat in Milan with rotation, and didn't turn up today at all. We now have a two week break and the players will come back knowing what we have to do. We can't panic as fans, we need to get fully behind them, if we turn up to games and create no atmosphere (like today) it will go onto the pitch and make the players more nervous too.

Today was just one of those days. AVB got the team wrong, the players didn't play well at all, that's it. We move on to the next game, with 8 massive ones left, and we get ourselves champions league football

I'll stick my neck out randomly and say we need at least six points from the City, Chelsea and Everton games. The only positive is at least Arsenal are fragile.

So it seems like the entries fron POTL about Lennon not playing and the effects from Thursday were indeed true...the doubters should feel humbled imo on this one

As I stubbornly adopted my positive stance in the wake of our (frankly) galling defeat at home to Fulham yesterday, as I posted glib responses to the genuine and raw emotional frustrations of others in the match thread, a contributor called Dubaispur responded to one of my 'keep calm and carry on' style posts with something I shall paraphrase as thus. Basically that yes, they understood the long-term in what I was saying, but that an official match thread is going to contain some angry and tinkled off people, and that I should understand that my chirpings came across as arrogant, sanctimonious and stubbornly aloof.

My immediate reaction, my gut one, the 'word association'-style response I had to Dubaispur's comments was that they were right. 100%. i could immediately see how it could quite easily come across as such.

This lead me to consider WHY I react like this, and why (indeed) I reacted this way to this specific match? I can assure you, I was not at all happy. I sat in an increasingly depressed fog hoping for a miracle (Defoe twice had the chance to deliver and failed - another story) and I was certainly not a picture of calm or zen-like understanding as the aforementioned hit Schwarzer rather than the back of the net from 2 yards. So why could I also not join in the chorus of angry reactions?

I think it's because my pain threshold is so great, so elastic and so high when it comes to Tottenham Hotspur, that I simply refuse to believe it's over until it's over in May. Or that we've succeeded until we've done 'it' in May. In fact, I don't generally these days believe anything about our club until May. It's just safer that way. Call it decades of conditioning, including what was probably the cruelest season of all, 1981/82, when we were on course for 4 trophies heading into mid-March and ended up with one (this after clinging on for an entire second-half against a QPR side who battered us). That was a soul-scarring season. I'm not sure I've ever fully recovered. Oh, the Ossie-era too. Then Glenn's failure, yeah, that cut me to the bone in terms of sadness, and then there was Lasagnegate, another absolutely gut-wrenching feeling of sickness. Then there was last season; we don't need to go there.

The pain has been great. And I suppose that what happens in the match thread is an extension of this pain for all of us. We're all part of it. We're all in footballing pain to some degree, and we all feel an ugly little brick of angry sadness got dumped on our heads when the final whistle blew yesterday. So I suppose what happens is that we all express our frustrations in different ways.

Me? I tend to try and find positives, eek out what I see is a greater reality versus a shorter term slump, offer what (in my mind) is encouragement (as if anybody other than is reads these things of course). But perhaps it's not entirely honest. Perhaps I'd do better to vent spleen every so often, to shout 'PARKER WAS brick!' or 'DEFOE WAS A clown shoe!' or 'AVB, I KNOW IT'S YOUR FIRST YEAR HERE BUT FARKIN' 'ELL GEEZER, YOU fudgeD UP THE TEAM SELECTION SUMFINK ROTTEN!' I might not carry any particular venom but I most certainly do think those things (specifically about yesterday). And with this being the case, why then come in on someone's ranting and try to offer a more 'reasoned' outlook? Because Dubaispur is right, the last thing an angry ranter needs is some self-serving zen-monster slithering in to offer a patronizing rebuke.

The truth is we all (basically) feel the same about Tottenham Hotspur and we all (generally) want the same for Tottenham Hotpsur. We all (basically) see the same mistakes and we all (basically) feel the same emotions.
Some of us try to be calm in our post-match analysis (and that's largely because we're done getting over-cooked due to having it done it too many times before) and some of us throw furious anger and vitriol post-match because, well, who knows, maybe life is dealing a brick hand and this is a good vent, or maybe it just IS really annoying and is IS worth having a roar about...

One thing's for sure.
We all love this club.
We all feel it's pain.
And we all feel it's glory.
Consider this an exploration of why we all react the way we do in the match thread for disappointments like losing at home to Fulham. And also
consider this an open apology for perhaps coming across like a sanctimonious prick sometimes.

As I stubbornly adopted my positive stance in the wake of our (frankly) galling defeat at home to Fulham yesterday, as I posted glib responses to the genuine and raw emotional frustrations of others in the match thread, a contributor called Dubaispur responded to one of my 'keep calm and carry on' style posts with something I shall paraphrase as thus. Basically that yes, they understood the long-term in what I was saying, but that an official match thread is going to contain some angry and tinkled off people, and that I should understand that my chirpings came across as arrogant, sanctimonious and stubbornly aloof.

My immediate reaction, my gut one, the 'word association'-style response I had to Dubaispur's comments was that they were right. 100%. i could immediately see how it could quite easily come across as such.

This lead me to consider WHY I react like this, and why (indeed) I reacted this way to this specific match? I can assure you, I was not at all happy. I sat in an increasingly depressed fog hoping for a miracle (Defoe twice had the chance to deliver and failed - another story) and I was certainly not a picture of calm or zen-like understanding as the aforementioned hit Schwarzer rather than the back of the net from 2 yards. So why could I also not join in the chorus of angry reactions?

I think it's because my pain threshold is so great, so elastic and so high when it comes to Tottenham Hotspur, that I simply refuse to believe it's over until it's over in May. Or that we've succeeded until we've done 'it' in May. In fact, I don't generally these days believe anything about our club until May. It's just safer that way. Call it decades of conditioning, including what was probably the cruelest season of all, 1981/82, when we were on course for 4 trophies heading into mid-March and ended up with one (this after clinging on for an entire second-half against a QPR side who battered us). That was a soul-scarring season. I'm not sure I've ever fully recovered. Oh, the Ossie-era too. Then Glenn's failure, yeah, that cut me to the bone in terms of sadness, and then there was Lasagnegate, another absolutely gut-wrenching feeling of sickness. Then there was last season; we don't need to go there.

The pain has been great. And I suppose that what happens in the match thread is an extension of this pain for all of us. We're all part of it. We're all in footballing pain to some degree, and we all feel an ugly little brick of angry sadness got dumped on our heads when the final whistle blew yesterday. So I suppose what happens is that we all express our frustrations in different ways.

Me? I tend to try and find positives, eek out what I see is a greater reality versus a shorter term slump, offer what (in my mind) is encouragement (as if anybody other than is reads these things of course). But perhaps it's not entirely honest. Perhaps I'd do better to vent spleen every so often, to shout 'PARKER WAS brick!' or 'DEFOE WAS A clown shoe!' or 'AVB, I KNOW IT'S YOUR FIRST YEAR HERE BUT FARKIN' 'ELL GEEZER, YOU fudgeD UP THE TEAM SELECTION SUMFINK ROTTEN!' I might not carry any particular venom but I most certainly do think those things (specifically about yesterday). And with this being the case, why then come in on someone's ranting and try to offer a more 'reasoned' outlook? Because Dubaispur is right, the last thing an angry ranter needs is some self-serving zen-monster slithering in to offer a patronizing rebuke.

The truth is we all (basically) feel the same about Tottenham Hotspur and we all (generally) want the same for Tottenham Hotpsur. We all (basically) see the same mistakes and we all (basically) feel the same emotions.
Some of us try to be calm in our post-match analysis (and that's largely because we're done getting over-cooked due to having it done it too many times before) and some of us throw furious anger and vitriol post-match because, well, who knows, maybe life is dealing a brick hand and this is a good vent, or maybe it just IS really annoying and is IS worth having a roar about...

One thing's for sure.
We all love this club.
We all feel it's pain.
Consider this an exploration of why we all react the way we do in the match thread for disappointments like losing at home to Fulham. And also
consider this an open apology for perhaps coming across like a sanctimonious prick sometimes.

Effort. Eloquence. Details. Guts even.

I like it. Well done! =D>=D>

Steff, on an even more direct note....do you think we are going to blow it again??? (i.e finish below Arsenal and also outside the top 4)

But we are entitled to expect so much more from Ade than he has been giving us. He has the talent and ability - but not once this season has he shown the heart or the desire. A top centre forward should be making and scoring goals. He is doing neither - and whats more doesnt look like he wants to.

Yes but I meant that despite his limitations this season we seemed to be doing fine with him in the team when we also had a winger in there. Without a wide midfielder he becomes even more limited - critically so.

For the record, I think he has been creating goals, even if he hasn't actually got many assists.

One thing's for sure.
We all love this club.
We all feel it's pain.

=D>

Actually, you BASTARD, you've just brought my pain threshold right back up to your level again! :ross:

Last edited:
Steff, on an even more direct note....do you think we are going to blow it again??? (i.e finish below Arsenal and also outside the top 4)

Honestly?
Right now, I am genuinely not sure. If I had to put my head on the block, I'd say we'll make it, but it might be as much down to the failure of them as the success of us right now.
I believe wholeheartedly in AVB, but I do worry when I look at Verts, who to me is absolutely 100% knackered...the thing which swings me into the positive at this second? The fact that Younes might well be back for the run in. It could be like signing a new player if he doesn't show too much rust...

Could anyone see Vert playing in midfield next year if Kaboul impresses in the summer? I dont think Dawson deserves to be dropped at all and imagine:

....................Lloris
Walker...Daws...Kab....Ekotto
..........Sandro....Vert
..............Dembele

One thing's for sure.
We all love this club.
We all feel it's pain.

A-fudging-men. Too easily forgotten sometimes. =D>

Unbelievable ! Never thought we could lose to Fulham at home ! Afterall, we had won our last 6 matches against them and had not lost to them at home for 10 years ! But ofcourse, with Spurs anything is possible ! You can never put too much trust in any Spurs team. If you do, they will always let you down as it is proven yet again ! Annoying thing is we never turned up for this match and didn't give our best. Even more annoying is that a former Spurs player has scored against us yet again !

As proven many times, we only play well when Bale plays well. But disappointingly Bale had a poor game and so it was not surprising we played shyte. It is puzzling why Bale were poor in this match as he was well rested unlike most players who played extra time against Inter. Was hoping Bale will come back all guns firing after his suspension against Inter but instead he was never in the game. Wonder if all the speculations about his future has started to affect him. With Lennon also out injured, our attack was toothless the whole match. The fact we only had 3 shots on target tells the whole story. Except for the 2 late shots from Defoe, we never looked like scoring. Adebayor didn't even have any attempt on goal which is annoying. Dempsey was even worse as he didn't even contribute anything to our attacks.

I think we lost this match in midfield. Dembele and Parker looked tired from playing extra time against Inter. They just couldn't lift their game and let Fulham dominate the midfield. The likes of Sigurdsson and BAE were never in the game as well. Not sure why AVB played BAE in midfield as he is not the sort of hardworking player to inspire others. Getting really frustrated with Sigurdsson. After showing fine form in recent matches, he seemed to have gone backwards again. Sigurdsson should have done better with the chance in the first half. He had all the time to control and shoot the ball but decided to volley it first time which went off target. If he had scored that, it could have been a different outcome.

Again was annoyed with our defending for Fulham's goal. Berbatov had all the time in the world to tap in the goal. Where was our defending ? Atleast Vertonghen can give excuse of being tired after playing against Inter. Caulker had no such excuse. He should have covered Berbatov. Caulker was also too error-prone throughout the match. Wish Kaboul can return from injury and play with Vertonghen in defence now.

We have now lost 3 matches in a row which is very worrying. The problem with going unbeaten for so long is that, it will badly affect any team once they lose a match. I think that's what is happening to Spurs now. We badly need to get back to winning form soon if we want to stay in top 4 race.

Last edited:

So given that he is basically all we have until the summer, what do you suggest the clubs management do? Play Obika? Whip Ade publicly in the center circle after each poor performance? What exactly ?? Or should we just keep slating him on an internet forum? . We have what we have. I'd agree that he's been far from the player he was last year but constantly moaning about him on an internet forum achieves precisely nothing.

So given that he is basically all we have until the summer, what do you suggest the clubs management do? Play Obika? Whip Ade publicly in the center circle after each poor performance? What exactly ?? Or should we just keep slating him on an internet forum? . We have what we have. I'd agree that he's been far from the player he was last year but constantly moaning about him on an internet forum achieves precisely nothing.

It is down to AVB to galvanise Ade into the player we all know he can be. So far, he has failed. IMO, it should be by both a carrot and stick approach with if necessary a hypnotist and/or sports psycologist employed to get to the bottom of his lethargic performances. I said at the time that we should have signed another striker both before the season began and more importanty in Jan when it was obvious he wasnt performing. I know you still love Bent - but dont think that is the answer!!!!!!

Steff - brilliant earlier post. Well done on your articulation and apology.

But isn't that the whole point of this place? To blow off a bit of steam? Having a moan down the pub or on here is a good stress reliever (when the revolution comes and I rule the world every pub will be forced to have GG on tap).

Unbelievable ! Never thought we could lose to Fulham at home ! Afterall, we had won our last 6 matches against them and had not lost to them at home for 10 years ! But ofcourse, with Spurs anything is possible ! You can never put too much trust in any Spurs team. If you do, they will always let you down as it is proven yet again ! Annoying thing is we never turned up for this match and didn't give our best. Even more annoying is that a former Spurs player has scored against us yet again !

As proven many times, we only play well when Bale plays well. But disappointingly Bale had a poor game and so it was not surprising we played shyte. It is puzzling why Bale were poor in this match as he was well rested unlike most players who played extra time against Inter. Was hoping Bale will come back all guns firing after his suspension against Inter but instead he was never in the game. Wonder if all the speculations about his future has started to affect him. With Lennon also out injured, our attack was toothless the whole match. The fact we only had 3 shots on target tells the whole story. Except for the 2 late shots from Defoe, we never looked like scoring. Adebayor didn't even have any attempt on goal which is annoying. Dempsey was even worse as he didn't even contribute anything to our attacks.

I think we lost this match in midfield. Dembele and Parker looked tired from playing extra time against Inter. They just couldn't lift their game and let Fulham dominate the midfield. The likes of Sigurdsson and BAE were never in the game as well. Not sure why AVB played BAE in midfield as he is not the sort of hardworking player to inspire others. Getting really frustrated with Sigurdsson. After showing fine form in recent matches, he seemed to have gone backwards again. Sigurdsson should have done better with the chance in the first half. He had all the time to control and shoot the ball but decided to volley it first time which went off target. If he had scored that, it could have been a different outcome.

Again was annoyed with our defending for Fulham's goal. Berbatov had all the time in the world to tap in the goal. Where was our defending ? Atleast Vertonghen can give excuse of being tired after playing against Inter. Caulker had no such excuse. He should have covered Berbatov. Caulker was also too error-prone throughout the match. Wish Kaboul can return from injury and play with Vertonghen in defence now.

We have now lost 3 matches in a row which is very worrying. The problem with going unbeaten for so long is that, it will badly affect any team once they lose a match. I think that's what is happening to Spurs now. We badly need to get back to winning form soon if we want to stay in top 4 race.

Their goal was fantastic nobodys fault, when they broke down the right Berbatov hung back until he saw where the ball was going to be played into, then made a great late run to put it in nobody could have picked him up, it really annoyed me at the time because the two idiots we play up front would have been nowhere near that cross.

Back