• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Re: Northumberland Development Project - CPO Now Granted!!!

I would say American cultural influences are decreasing on youngsters, probably for the first time in 60 years. The growing thing now is authenticity - the rediscovery of real ale, vinyl records, independent shops, local/fresh food etc. Even the 1882 Movement is a rejection of the 90s and 00s entitlement generation - an attempt by young fans to connect with the more authentic times gone by.

Building a proper 3-tier version of the current WHL, with safe standing, bovril and hearty pies, might be the perfect anecdote to the sanitised 'Sky hype' game that people are so fatigued of now.

Bringing beer back to the terraces would be nice though. And boy does it **** me off that you can't even get it in the stadium for UEFA matches.

This

I consider myself a "experienced drink of long standing" and do get annoyed by this ban on alcohol in the seating area and at EUFA games, but I understand the reason there are just too many f****** idiots about who spoil it for everyone. Allowed to drink themselves senseless at games would only lead to more incidents of violence and then further restrictions place on the majority.

Like I said, I do respect your opinion. In fact, it is largely my preference as well: Overall, I still prefer our style of support to anyone else's, even if it grates with me on some points (the relative powerlessness of our individualistic fanbases versus the more organized ones on the continent who bargain and support collectively, for example): it just feels more 'organic' to me. But for every point you've brought up regarding the supposed trend towards rediscovering traditions and authentic home-grown cultures, there's an example of American cultural trends sweeping aside British ones. The death of the local pubs due to the rise of pub chains, American sports (NFL, Basketball) aggressively moving to secure footholds in the British sporting market, the Americanisation of the British musical scene and the impending effects of the TTIP (should it be signed) on British consumers...there's too much evidence to dismiss continuing Americanisation out of hand.

Logically, we can't do too much about it: hence, we can only go with the flow and adapt as best we can. Hence, my suggestion to be at the forefront of these changes instead of being dragged along by them. It seems to have worked for us in terms of securing a market foothold in the US itself: we moved quickly, and were first on the scene, and now we're reaping the benefits of that. We should try that again, and the stadium seems an opportunity to do so.

I'm just not convinced. I can't see beyond the cynical and individualistic nature of English/British people. It's not just related to sport - in so many things in life we are the ones who aloofly stand at the back internally disapproving of anyone getting excitable. The French are a bit the same - far too bloody-minded to be made to conform.

Unless we are seriously expecting 50%+ of our crowd to be 'tourists' from Asian and America, I don't think this will ever change. I've often seen badly judged half-time 'entertainment' get savaged in a way that made Jenas seem like a fans' favourite. One boyband I remember running off mid-song in tears.

Oh, and as an addendum, if the rumors of our NFL partnership turn out to be true, I suspect we won't have a choice: the screens and cheerleaders will be at the new WHL regardless.

Surely cheerleaders are so misogynistic they are a dying anachronism from the 1970s (like the much-maligned 'brolly dollys' in F1), not something you introduce in a progressive society?

I consider myself a "experienced drink of long standing" and do get annoyed by this ban on alcohol in the seating area and at EUFA games, but I understand the reason there are just too many f****** idiots about who spoil it for everyone. Allowed to drink themselves senseless at games would only lead to more incidents of violence and then further restrictions place on the majority.

I'm less bothered by it in the seating area (though it does really add to rugby and cricket) - at least that prevents people keep trying to get past you coming and going to the bar. But not being able to grab a quick one in the 20 minutes before kick-off, especially for an evening match when you've had to rush from work, is pretty crap.

I'm just not convinced. I can't see beyond the cynical and individualistic nature of English/British people. It's not just related to sport - in so many things in life we are the ones who aloofly stand at the back internally disapproving of anyone getting excitable. The French are a bit the same - far too bloody-minded to be made to conform.

Unless we are seriously expecting 50%+ of our crowd to be 'tourists' from Asian and America, I don't think this will ever change. I've often seen badly judged half-time 'entertainment' get savaged in a way that made Jenas seem like a fans' favourite. One boyband I remember running off mid-song in tears.

:lol: The thing is, while your individual Englishman is admittedly somewhat aloof and acerbic, your individual American is exceptionally loud and gregarious. And, I might add, determined to impose that same gregariousness on others. It's something the U.S is very good at doing. And they seem to be determined to do so in the UK: whether they succeed will ultimately come down to whether the youngsters of today and tomorrow retain their essential Britishness or give in to the cavalcade of entertainment and cultural norms the U.S is pumping onto their Iphone, TV and laptop screens. Given that a lot of trends originating in the U.S (like I mentioned above) are being adopted by the youngsters today, I don't hold out much hope of the idea of 'Britishness' staying the same over time. It's not a bad thing: it's just change, doing what it always does. But we will have to adapt to it. It won't be tourists or day-trippers who change England's fan culture: it will be our own fans who eventually do so, especially given that the ticket prices at the top of the game mean that the fans who grew up during the entitlement era and the heyday of Americanism (90's and early 2000's) are likely still kept out of stadiums in favour of the older and more financially secure fans who are children of the more British 80's. Wait till that generation starts entering our stadiums en masse, and then you'll see what I mean.

The move towards Americanization seems inevitable to me. And what I'm proposing is not that we abandon our old norms entirely: I still want the standing section, the Kop end and a three tier arrangement. But I also wouldn't mind us moving towards multiple screens, easier access to beer and excited announcers whipping the crowd up, as happens in America. That way, we keep the elements of our own football culture we find irreplacable, but adapt to change as well. Bending reed, and all that.

Surely cheerleaders are so misogynistic they are a dying anachronism from the 1970s (like the much-maligned 'brolly dollys' in F1), not something you introduce in a progressive society?

I direct you to the 'Lingerie Football League', apparently 'America's fastest growing sports league' ( :-" ) as an answer to your question.

I had a stadium tour on Sunday, the guy doing the tour mentioned that the Emirates had been discussed as a possible ground share whilst new stadium is being built. Can't see it happening myself but thought I'd share some idle gossip!

I had a stadium tour on Sunday, the guy doing the tour mentioned that the Emirates had been discussed as a possible ground share whilst new stadium is being built. Can't see it happening myself but thought I'd share some idle gossip!

hahahaha not a chance :lol:

I would say American cultural influences are decreasing on youngsters, probably for the first time in 60 years. The growing thing now is authenticity - the rediscovery of real ale, vinyl records, independent shops, local/fresh food etc. Even the 1882 Movement is a rejection of the 90s and 00s entitlement generation - an attempt by young fans to connect with the more authentic times gone by.
And you believe this isn't happening in America?

Just youtubed it - it's not lingerie or football!

b07.jpg

6092.jpg

Think about how large screens can heighten engagement by providing real time stats during the game. Nothing too technical but stuff we discuss on here but made visual and easy to understand at a glance., like how speedometers work.

Polls , real time tweeted could all feature during half time as competitions and sweepstakes, plus something like that "kissing camera" for best dressed fans etc.

I think digital and real time has got. A lot of potential in and post game.

Think about how large screens can heighten engagement by providing real time stats during the game. Nothing too technical but stuff we discuss on here but made visual and easy to understand at a glance., like how speedometers work.

Polls , real time tweeted could all feature during half time as competitions and sweepstakes, plus something like that "kissing camera" for best dressed fans etc.

I think digital and real time has got. A lot of potential in and post game.

Just imagine, we could all vote on twitter at half-time on which substitute gets made. It would be like Britain's Got Idle, but we'd get to eject Danny Rose through a trap door in the changing room floor.

Haha I would love it if the fans emotional responses could be validated by data and shown to the player himself!

Sent from my SM-P605 using Fapatalk

Just imagine, we could all vote on twitter at half-time on which substitute gets made. It would be like Britain's Got Idle, but we'd get to eject Danny Rose through a trap door in the changing room floor.

Paulinho ejected from the stadium via a giant slingshot.

Back